• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SR2023 R2 - Waratahs vs Drua - Saturday 4 March @ 7.35pm

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's only week two but this already shapes up as a must win for the Tahs.

The Drua staged a big comeback to beat Moana in round 1 and will be confident that they can cause an upset.

The Tahs just have to be clinical here and not make as many mistakes as they did in round 1. They also have to work harder to re-align and prevent counter-attacks and broken field opportunities that the Drua will try and pounce on.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Don't scare me. Maybe I have to watch the replay of Drua-Moana game. Is it worth?
Yeah, they have forwards with more pace than our backs, there was one moment where one of their locks accelerated into space, faark

Their 13 looks great as well

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Yeah, they have forwards with more pace than our backs, there was one moment where one of their locks accelerated into space, faarked

Their 13 looks great as well
F*ck. Is there an area where we are better?

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I think the best way to play them is to stick to your strengths and nail the set piece. Drua can do things that will just happen so roll on with it.
We have to play test rugby against them. Take the 3 points as many times as possible and secure your set pieces. Eventually they gonna get mad and the cards will appear

This is like England-Wallabies in the last 10 games. We are England lol

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We have to play test rugby against them. Take the 3 points as many times as possible and secure your set pieces. Eventually they gonna get mad and the cards will appear

This is like England-Wallabies in the last 10 games. We are England lol
If we start throwing dumb passes again to players in worse positions it will be painful

If we pull our heads in, play for field position (as we should with Edmed) and build score board pressure we should win. But that has been the game plan vs Fiji teams for 50 years

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Maona Pacifica were all over the Drua in the forwards in the first 40 - 60 minutes. That's where the Tahs can have the edge if they pick the right players. Holloway, Lambert, Gleeson and Harris could have a field day running the ball in close, but starting two No 7s won't help the cause.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I've watched the replay of Moana v Drua game. We can damage them with the piggies. Their defence is pretty poor, they don't pay attention but with ball in hands are dangerous.

Drua:

36 missed tackles from 115
3/6 conversions

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yes, the Tahs should be able to score points as they did v the Brumbies but it's all about defence in this one.

Brumbies scored 31 which is too many if you are going to have a successful season. The type of try Lonergan scored off the back of Wrights work is exactly what the Drua can do over and over. Brumbies also made a lot of ground and half breaks by getting on the outside quickly almost using a League style block play of 5-6 years ago. This is something they planned but is also a naturally Fijian way of attack with a distributor becoming the support to create the extra man. It's not difficult to shut down if your players have the ability to 1v1 bring down their opponent but this was the issue v the Brumbies at times that I'm sure some of the Drua would love a chance at the same situation.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
3595B825-554C-4360-825D-45C5968F047B.jpeg