• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SR2023 R3 - Rebels vs Waratahs Friday 10 March @ 7.35pm

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Big game for both sides. The Tahs need the win to keep pace with the teams at the top and the Rebels will be desperate to secure their first win of the season after a strong comeback against the Hurricanes after getting blown out early.

The Tahs should have a few more players available for this one. I'd like to see something like:

1. Lambert
2. Porecki
3. Holz
4. Holloway
5. Sinclair
6. Swinton
7. Gamble
8. Gleeson
9. Gordon
10. Edmed
11. Nawaqanitawase
12. Foketi
13. Perese
14. Jorgensen
15. Donaldson

16. Latu 17. Faulkner 18. Botha 19. Seu 20. Harris 21. Goddard 22. Walton 23. Pietsch

Harrison, Hanigan and Johnson-Holmes to make their returns in round 4.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would start Latu.

Why are we removing Hooper from the 23 entirely? Bit early for a rest and he didn't play any trials and limited Tests last year.

Where did Botha come from? Big unit.

Latu was excellent off the bench but I would stick with the status quo for now. Porecki is solid and I want to leave Latu as that impact player for the time being.

Hooper has to sit out three games this season I believe. I don't think he needs the rest but it seems like a good opportunity to me. We've got all our backrowers available and it's a match we will start as favourites. Getting one out of the way early is good business as far as I'm concerned. What if Gamble is injured later in the year and we still have to rest Hooper because we're running out of games?

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Wouldn't mind seeing Jorgensen play fullback and have Donaldson have a run at 10, that way Pietsch also gets to start. Although Edmed definitely improved from round 1 so he could be locked in for this round. Just a thought

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Wouldn't mind seeing Jorgensen play fullback and have Donaldson have a run at 10, that way Pietsch also gets to start. Although Edmed definitely improved from round 1 so he could be locked in for this round. Just a thought
Right now Jorgensen should have a lock on the 23 jersey. After one week on the bench to ease him back, Pietsch should go straight to starting winger. Jorgensen should NOT start any game at 15 this year.

Why? Because he is just out of school, just learning the ropes and getting a feel for Super Rugby. Pushing him too hard this year is a major risk for him getting bashed/injured and having his confidence destroyed. If we nurture his growth carefully we are likely to have a long term test-rated player. We have Harrison coming back soon, probably next week. We were forced to start him earlier than was sensible because of the dire squad that Gibson left us with and he's had two long term injuries and a couple of short ones because we were not able to ease him in gently. IMO Harrison has just as much potential as Jorgensen, albeit in different positions. We should not repeat the mistakes made with Harrison with Jorgensen. That IMO would amount to criminal negligence.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Don't think any Rebels are due back this weekend. Maybe the runaway Cabous? Could be useful to test out the promising but inexperienced 'Tahs front row.

Don't think Rebels have much of a chance. Would love to see Monty Ioane show Jorgensen how the big boys play but I fear if Max can handle the Drua wingers he'll be fine.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Heritage yes but he went to school at Scots and played for Uni and Aus Schools so very much an Aussie.

Should be a good game. Rebels have shown fight in their first 2 games and are unlucky to be 0-2. I think the Tahs backline can cause the Rebels some problems, but the forwards will have a good battle.

Alex Ross (28)
Heritage yes but he went to school at Scots and played for Uni and Aus Schools so very much an Aussie.

Should be a good game. Rebels have shown fight in their first 2 games and are unlucky to be 0-2. I think the Tahs backline can cause the Rebels some problems, but the forwards will have a good battle.
For mine, I think the Rebels backrow is working exceptionally well at the moment. Especially at the breakdown. Tight 5 should be a numbers game to the Rebels also but I think we are going to hold our own.
Despite the results, I don’t think the gap is very large between the Tahs and the Rebels. The Rebels really showed some sting against the canes. I for one and nervous

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rebels are 8.5 point underdogs which seems overly generous!
generous indeed.

rebels were definitely good for the win against the canes and it could definitely have gone their way. we took 50 odd minutes to get into our patterns of play. i reckon the rebels had this game circled from preseason.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1678248356942.png