• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stosur US OPen Champion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Congrats, I am stunned to be honest as I was pretty confident that she would find someway to duff it ala the french open final. Maybe playing someone like Serena (who is an all or nothing player) was the key rather than someone who tried to grind out a win against Sam.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Congrats, I am stunned to be honest as I was pretty confident that she would find someway to duff it ala the french open final. Maybe playing someone like Serena (who is an all or nothing player) was the key rather than someone who tried to grind out a win against Sam.

Glad to see a thread about this I'm so happy she's won a slam.

I set my alarm this morning to check it out deep into the first set, when I saw Sam was winning I also thought that she'd break down in the second and we'd see Serena come back again so I went back to bed. Very happy to find out a little while later that she won! I hope they replay the game. She had some big 3-set games on the way so she didnt have an easy time through the open which should make it even sweeter for her. Great stuff Sam!

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Awesome! I (Keegan style) absolutely love it, love it, love it, love it!!! When anything happens which causes Serena to either lose or look like a prat! And Stosur has done both in one go!!

Fave sporting athlete on the planet today, Stosur!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What a successful year for Australian sport, Stosur winning the US Open and making the final of the french, Cadel Evans winning the Tour de France, Bernard Tomic becoming a revelation and making Wimbledon QF's. It's a great year for individual glory, hopefully not a bad omen for this world cup.

W

Worldcupnut

Awesome! I (Keegan style) absolutely love it, love it, love it, love it!!! When anything happens which causes Serena to either lose or look like a prat! And Stosur has done both in one go!!

Fave sporting athlete on the planet today, Stosur!
Yeah, Serena reminded us how ugly Americans can be ( on their special day and all ). It reminds me of Denis Leary's great lyrics

Maybe I shouldnt be singing this song
Ranting and raving and carrying on
Maybe theyre right when they tell me Im wrong
Nah

Im an as^hole (hes an as^hole, what an as^hole)
Im an as^hole (hes the worlds biggest as^hole)

A

antipodean

Yeah, Serena reminded us how ugly Americans can be ( on their special day and all ).
Unfortunately it wasn't just confined to Serena. Instead the commentators and crowd also assisted in diminishing the reputation of their country.

Still, great for Sam to finally break through!

W

Worldcupnut

Unfortunately it wasn't just confined to Serena. Instead the commentators and crowd also assisted in diminishing the reputation of their country.

Still, great for Sam to finally break through!

They gave us Jazz, Rock'n'Roll, and R&B. I guess they can also give us Country and Western.

On the tennis, I guess Sam can bring that hardcourt form to the OZ open. Should be good!

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
What a successful year for Australian sport, Stosur winning the US Open and making the final of the french, Cadel Evans winning the Tour de France, Bernard Tomic becoming a revelation and making Wimbledon QF's. It's a great year for individual glory, hopefully not a bad omen for this world cup.

Add to that Sally Pearson the world 100m hurdles champ and the netballers beating the Silver Ferns for the No.1 title. Is Casey Stoner also a frontrunner for the World Champ title? Yep, great year for Aussie sports...anyone else?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Webber is 4th overall in F1, was 2nd before last weekend and will probably gain a podium finish if previous results are anything to go by.

Add the freaky swimmer who recently won gold in an event never before won by an Australian.. And world champion long jumper Mitchell Watt (could be Michael)

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Webber is 4th overall in F1, was 2nd before last weekend and will probably gain a podium finish if previous results are anything to go by.

Add the freaky swimmer who recently won gold in an event never before won by an Australian.. And world champion long jumper Mitchell Watt (could be Michael)

He came second.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Also we just had our best ever result in the recent world rowing championships, 3 golds and second on the medal table, but more importantly, we qualified for most of the rowing events in next year's Olympics.

Any ex-rowers like me out there?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
1999 was the ultimate year in sport when Australia won a shitload of sporting events that year.

W

Worldcupnut

With all these great results for OZ....I mean.... who needs Bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.