• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer cricket 2022/23

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Was it the right decision to cut The Waj off at 195 not? Hindsight says "no" but I have no problem with the decision in that moment.

In summary:
Weather sucked.
Agar's selection utterly questionable.
Cummins taking the new ball earlier today when the spinners were in their pomp.

That's how you draw a match against a flimsy opponent.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I had no issue with Cummins declaring when he did. It showed that he was willing to be a bit ruthless to try and win the game. With the amount of time lost to rain he had to do something to push the game forward. It sucks for Uz but as a captain himself I think he would have understand and by all accounts approached the skipper and said pull the trigger.

Agar I don't think is test class and shouldn't really be considered in the future. It's not often that someone with an average first class record suddenly becomes a test-worthy cricketer. I can understand the selection with an eye to India, but I don't think he's quite good enough.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Agree with both of you re Agar. He is not a Test standard bowler and with the amount of white ball cricket he plays since it is where I'm sure he makes his living it's not going to suddenly improve. Can imagine the Indians would love to relax against him and just accumulate runs.

After seeing Head bowl a few overs with some good balls, I don't understand why they didn't let Morris have a tear at them on home soil. I personally couldn't see them debuting him in India on those tracks and conditions so then what for him.... Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I would have picked Morris and got 15-20 overs an innings out of Head, Smith, Labuschagne and Renshaw as the second spinner.

Will be interesting to see the India squad. Neser may be thought of again with his work horse style and batting ability. What has happened to Swepson? MacDonald not a fan? to be fair I haven't seen much of him, but I like the prospect of an Off spinner and a Leg spinner in the squad.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thought from the announcement of the side for Sydney that they had got it wrong. Taken in by the reputation for spin that hasn't been the case for many years. Even the GOAT, Lyons, averages something like 40 runs per wicket at Sydney.

Like others have said, Agar is not a test quality bowler and his figures at the end clearly indicate this. Unfortunately, atm no other spinner in Australia is up to standard either. Boland was hard done by in being dropped. With him in the side Australia probably win this game too despite the weather.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
True, but I think the weather and the pitch being covered for a fair portion of days 1-3 had something to do with that - the pitch didn't break up ot dry out as predicted.

But I agree there's Lyon then daylight in terms of spinners ATM.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The problem with Agar and other short form bowlers like Zampa and before them players like Xavier Doherty is that they excel at short form cricket because they can bowl those tight lines and have the necessary variation and are a wicket taking threat when the batter has to keep scoring off them.

In test cricket that same urgency doesn't exist and the batters can just wait for a bad ball (and there's less likely to be the same coverage in the outfield to make it a single). Without that need to keep scoring off most balls there is very little threat of taking a wicket.

It's hard to work out why Swepson isn't still the second spinner to take to India but it is incredibly clear that the SCG is no longer a spinning wicket. It is a reverse swing wicket and we should always go in with a standard bowling lineup of 3 quicks and a spinner.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
9EAA05FA-600B-4529-9E51-94BBCF9196D4.jpeg

Yeah 4 spinners and only 1 currently proven at Test level… must plan on always having 2 in the team. This will only work if Green is good to bowl and normal load. I don’t get Handscomb either. I think he’s just a good Shield player that isn’t at the next level. Yes I’ve heard all the “he’s good with spin” we’re not dropping any of the top order on current form even if they had a few rough innings. Maybe he can cover Wicket Keeping…

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think the selectors have done the right thing by including Swepson and Murphy. I would still give serious consideration to playing three quicks and a spinner in the tests. Just because a track is turning doesn't mean that you automatically pick an extra spinner. Sometimes you go with your most potent combination regardless. That said, Cam Green's development means we have flexibility with the attack if needed and that's a great thing.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
It's an awkward set of fixtures over the next 6 months for the Aussies. India now which they have shown they are happy to pick 4 spinners in a squad but then there is no chance we take 4 to England for the Ashes. If you wanted Lance Morris for the Ashes he's probably going to be a debutant unless injuries strike in India and then he would have been running drinks for 7 months...

Important series for the batters not to be bundled out consistently leading into a series in England. Head, Warner & Khawaja really strike me as confidence batters. Shame about the most recent injury to Jhye Richardson. I would have loved to see us go to England with Cummins, Hazlewood, Starc, Boland, Richarson & Morris all available, fit and in form.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Any Sydney Sixers members who can't attend the match this weekend have a presale code they want to share?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
WTF doesn't the ICC match referee intervene before the test starts? Post-match reports have achieved fuck all since the referees were appointed.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Apparently it's all normal, above board, both teams have to use the same pitch, stop whinging Aussies from all the keyboard warriors on twitter though

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Unfortunately you're right that Indian money makes the Cricket world go around.

I hate this but every country does this to be fair. We love to try and produce wickets that will be fast and bounce. The Indians just do it in your face then get the shits when called out for it.

I hope our batters are prepared to attack back. I don't think the current crop (except Smith) have the ability to dig in an accumulate slowly.

Is the team list out? If Agar is in the 11 we're fucked.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't see other countries prepping Bunsen burners for the left handers and ok pitches for right handers when the home team only has RHB's and the visitor has 6 - 7 LHBs

I get that home advantage yada yada - but I think pitch prep needs to be consistent across all of the pitch

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
And, I've never seen an Australian curator with a trowel and concrete to make our pitches harder. The green pitch in Brisbane last year was a mistake, to which we willingly owned up to. Our pitches have historically prepared themselves without doctoring to favour anyone.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah the big difference is that we accept the match ref's verdict on pitches, like the Gabba and previously about the MCG, and do better. The BCCI is as blatant as anyone about pitches and any number of other issues and then gets all indignant when called out.

The best revenge is to go over there and beat their arses. Take the fight up to them.