• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer cricket 2022/23

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
What the fuck are Australia scared of? Over 300 ahead on the first innings and they decide to bat again.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Your quicks each bowled 20 overs so the captain, being one of them, probably thinks they've earned a few hours rest before getting stuck back in after Tea. Four sessions should be plenty enough time to take the remaining 10 wickets.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Cummins expects/hopes the pitch will deteriorate somewhat over the next day or two. Easier to bowl rather than bat on day 5.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Following on has fallen out of favour as time has gone by, particularly because of flatter decks that won't break up until late on day 4 or 5.

In this case, it is also the first game of long-form cricket these guys have played in a while, so best to preserve what they can with the Adelaide Test around the corner, and South Africa on the horizon.

Cummins already feeling it with time off the field yesterday.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't have any issue with us batting again. We needed around a hundred overs to bowl the Windies out the first time and that track was a bit flatter than anyone thought it was going to be. Cummins having some soreness vindicated that too I reckon.

We had to work hard for the wickets yesterday and suspect we would have had to put even more k's into the bowlers legs had we enforced the follow on.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Well, the WIndies capitulated in their second Innings at Radelaide. I was ok with no enforcing the Follow-on - I guess it gives some red ball time in the middle for the batsmen before we play Sth Africa.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The chatter's ramping up about Warner's spot at the top of the batting order, he's really got to score shitloads of runs against SAf to go to India and England. If Davie doesn't make it, who're our budding openers?

We might have to consider another opener soon as Uzzie's not getting any younger. Just checked his age, he's 36 today.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
This is probably Warner's last home season - reckon they'll play him in Melbourne for his 100th test then it really depends on his runs

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
That was a very green Gabba! Done in two days. That was probably the most bowler friendly pitch I have seen in a long time

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
It was pretty spicy and probably not suitable for test cricket. Definitely warrants a review from the ICC.
Yep, you're not wrong. As a fast bowler, I loved it. As an actual cricket fan, I don't.

I detest roads and flat tracks, but that went too far the other way (I can't say whether by accident or design by the groundstaff)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My, my that Proteas tail is rubbish. Most of the bowlers look like they walked out of the 1975 school of tailender batting.

5 for 10 off 3.9 overs. Genuinely terrible.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah very much so. I love a spicy track but that was Carolina Reaper spec

Several batsmen showed when you got in, there were runs to be made at the Gabba. It wasn't exactly friendly, but then it is about time Test batsmen earned their money.

Go review the wickets from that game - half the Aussie ones were slogs chasing runs, and most of the Saffer ones were utterly piss-poor technique exposed by class bowling. Elgar getting caught leg side early is unforgiveable for a player of his experience.

The other half of the Aussie wickets were good bowling. The Proteas have that, at least.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Wishful thinking. We have to bat for another day and a half to (hopefully) give time for Starc's and Green's injuries to improve while making sure SAf bat on this pitch at its worst. At least our Mexican friends can look forward to a test longer than two days.

Last edited:

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Will need to see if Starcs finger will hold up to continue bowling in the second innings. If he goes down today it will really test our remaining bowlers

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
To be polite: "meek".

Bavuma and Zondo would be fighting for worst runner between wickets since Inzamam Ul-Haq.

There are a couple of fighters in that team you'd be glad to have (Nortje, Verrynne) but some of them are just dire. What happened to Rabada? He was full of vinegar last time I remember seeing him, and here he looked mentally shot before the second innings in Brisbane.

Elgar's captaincy lacks agility and his batting has basically disappeared under zero pressure. Caught down the leg side is not how an opener should go once, let alone multiple times.

At least everyone complaining about the Gabba pitch can put a sock in it now. The pitch wasn't the issue, clearly.