• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sunwolves v Rebels - R4 - Super Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rebels squad for the weekend

The Rebels 25-player squad for Japan:
Cruze Ah Nau
Ryan Cocker
Jack Debreczeni
Tamati Ellison
Tom English
Scott Fuglistaller
Jamie Hagan
James Hanson
Dan Hawkins
Mitch Inman
Sam Jeffries
Luke Jones
Pat Leafa
Kotaro Matsushima
Sean McMahon
Ben Meehan
Jonah Placid
Jordy Reid
Dom Shipperley
Toby Smith
Nic Stirzaker
Adam Thomson
Lopeti Timani
Laurie Weeks
Sione Tuipulotu
The Melbourne Rebels will become the first Australasian team to contest Super Rugby against the Sunwolves at Prince Chuchubu Memoria Stadium, Tokyo, on Saturday.

basically everyone who is fit ;)

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I like how the Sunwolves have been playing. Tusi Pisi has been a handy 5/8, their outside backs are committed to chasing kicks and tackling, Ed Quirk has been having a dig. I can't wait to see them get their first win up.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Very confident Nic will play then, with Snowden not named. Otherwise you'd guess Cocker would miss, since he's there as the 7th front rower, and so will a back. Probably Sione, but maybe Matsushima, or even Ellison if he doesn't pull up.

G

galumay

Hard to see the Sunwolves losing this one, should notch up their first win in this game.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Interesting that the Sunwolves have travelled only as far as Singapore. When Rebels have gone to Perth, SA, back to Melbourne and now Japan.

The fixture is completely BS when it comes to how teams travel, at least when the Rebels pick up the win here they have done all the long trips and picked up 3 wins in the first 4.

Good start to the season with no major travel left to deal with.

G

galumay

What makes you think that?

. or have I missed an attempt to rile up our southern cousins?

Just watching all the games in the first 3 rounds. Sunwolves look a much better team than the Rebels to me.

No attempt to rile up our southern cousins, they can manage that all on their own!!

Rob Ward

Bob McCowan (2)
Having watched their first two games I do not think the Sunwolves will be able to size up to the Rebels. They will struggle with set pieces and I think the Rebs back row will gain supremacy at the break down. Potentially comes down to how well the Rebs travel and whether the Sunwolves allow them to settle into their game plan. Hopefully, another fast open game! Go Sunwolves!

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Sunwolves vs. Rebels (#SUNvREB), 15:15 (AEDT) Saturday March 19th:
Fast fact: There could be two former Rebels players in the Sunwolves team on Saturday; front rowers Shota Horie (2013-2014) and Keita Inagaki (2015) spent time in Melbourne. Fellow International Kotaro Matsushima became the fourth Japanese Rebel when he made his debut against the Bulls in Pretoria in Round Two.
The Rebels have only ever won once outside of Australia, when they defeated the Crusaders in Christchurch in Round One last year, however this Saturday afternoon (AEDT) match-up sees them coming up against the only side in the competition who’ve never won a Super Rugby match!
To be fair, competition newbies the Sunwolves have impressed in their two Super Rugby matches thus far, and their 28 first half points against the Cheetahs in Round Three was the equal most points scored by any team in the opening half of any match across the first three weekends of Super Rugby.
The Rebels’ discipline has been very good in their 2-1 start to the season, conceding just 8 penalties per game to rank 2nd in the competition compared to the Sunwolves’ 11.5, and they are the only Australian team yet to receive a yellow card. James Hanson and Pat Leafa’s lineout service has been good to, with the visitors running at 85% in that area compared to the Sunwolves’ 73%, worst in the competition.
Mitch Inman has made 35 carries this season, the third most of any Australian player and the sixth most in the competition, while Sean McMahon isn’t far behind on 32 and Tom English’s 187 metres sees him in the competition’s top ten for metres gained; in fact, dynamic duo English andMcMahon each beat 8 defenders and made 3 clean breaks against the Reds last week. Could they propel to the Rebels to a 3-1 start for the first time in their history?
http://www.rupa.com.au/news/the-players/stat-attack-round-four-2016

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
I am going to be positive here. The rebels looked totally cooked against the reds but we have looked good when fresh making many breaks and putting on points.

We are also pretty good in open games and the sunwolves have not gotten their defense totally together yet. It usually takes a year or two for new defensive combinations to really get set and trust each other.

Rebels by less than 7 in an entertaining attacking game

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Funny thing is the Sunwolves are a shorter price than the Reds were past weekend.

I think with Fugs and Ellison back we should have enough depth to get the job done.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
teams up, no surprises skipper and fugs return via the bench

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

The Melbourne Rebels welcome back captain Nic Stirzaker and Scott Fuglistaller for Saturday's historic game against the Sunwolves at Prince Chichibu Memorial Stadium in Tokyo.

The pair have been named as reserves in the 23-player team with Stirzaker returning from a shoulder reconstruction and Fugistaller overcoming a hip injury to be selected for the first time this season.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I think this side is to strong for Japan, just depends on recovery with all the travel.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Looks like Chibba is being rested, probably to manage fatigue. Has started every match this year, so smart to rotate in Pat. Expect to see the same for Toby and Lorenzo soon too.

Status
Not open for further replies.