• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super AU trial Qld v NSW 5 Feb Narrabri

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
First trial for the year for the two teams and the only trial for the Reds as far as I am aware.

Anyone on here going along?

I assume all the preferred starters will get some time to get match conditioning under their belt. Although maybe they will limit the minutes for the Wallabies players, particularly Tupou & Wilson, as the guys who’ve carries the heaviest load.

From a Reds perspective I’ll be interested to see who the starting LHP is, how the locks go and who the back up half is (you’d assume Sorovi - but he’s sometimes struggled to take his opportunities).

So maybe a starting team or something like -

Hoopert BPA/Mafi, Nonggorr, Blyth, Tuilima, McReight, Wright, Uru, McDermott, JOC (James O'Connor), Vanivulu, Paisami, Petaia, Daugunu, Campbell

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Narrabri in February. Yeesh. At least it is only predicted to be 33.

Sponsored by Santos. Perfect.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Aussie Mens 7s team will be out there to play trial matches against NSW, QLD 7s and a combination Pacifica team as well. Should be a good little tournament.

Reds vs NSW trial game isn't on until 8pm, so hopefully the temperature has dropped a bit by then, but it will be hot regardless. No doubt played under trial conditions with water breaks and large squads included for rotation.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Dempsey wont be playing, both carrying bans from the test season still.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
First trial for the year for the two teams and the only trial for the Reds as far as I am aware.

Anyone on here going along?

I assume all the preferred starters will get some time to get match conditioning under their belt. Although maybe they will limit the minutes for the Wallabies players, particularly Tupou & Wilson, as the guys who’ve carries the heaviest load.

From a Reds perspective I’ll be interested to see who the starting LHP is, how the locks go and who the back up half is (you’d assume Sorovi - but he’s sometimes struggled to take his opportunities).

So maybe a starting team or something like -

Hoopert BPA/Mafi, Nonggorr, Blyth, Tuilima, McReight, Wright, Uru, McDermott, JOC (James O'Connor), Vanivulu, Paisami, Petaia, Daugunu, Campbell

Yeah agree that Tupou and Wilson will get minimal minutes, likewise BPA, maybe enough just to blow the cobwebs out.

Be interested to see the centre combination as well, whether they follow the Wallabies and use Paisami at 12.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It will be. I still think there is a big chance Thorn will stick with Stewart at 12. Whether that means Petaia to the wing or Paisami to the bench I’m not sure. I know there had been discussion around Petaia to 15, but I thought Campbell was excellent there last year and I’m working on the view that he’ll probably be our starting 15.

Then again, if that’s true & Petaia moves to 14 either Daugunu or Vunivalu don’t start, so who knows.

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
In the season proper there's simply no way guys like Daugunu, Petaia or Vunivalu aren't starting. Jock Campbell probably has the most to lose, and greatest risk of been dropped out of the starting players in the backline.

Reactions: dru

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
In the season proper there's simply no way guys like Daugunu, Petaia or Vunivalu aren't starting. Jock Campbell probably has the most to lose, and greatest risk of been dropped out of the starting players in the backline.

I expect Vunivalu will be given plenty of game time for him to get used to playing rugby again

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Sure, he had the most to lose. Especially if Mac Grealy is as good as the hype. However rugby intelligence wise he is better than all those guys and he has a kicking game they all lack (or at least that they aren’t using). There had to be a balance somewhere. Maybe playing Stewart at 12 will cover that, but from everything I’ve seen and heard about Jock his ability to read the game and organise is at least as good as anyone else in the backline.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Sure, he had the most to lose. Especially if Mac Grealy is as good as the hype. However rugby intelligence wise he is better than all those guys and he has a kicking game they all lack (or at least that they aren’t using). There had to be a balance somewhere. Maybe playing Stewart at 12 will cover that, but from everything I’ve seen and heard about Jock his ability to read the game and organise is at least as good as anyone else in the backline.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Jock and think he played a key role last year.
I just think Petaia, Daugunu, and Vunivalu are already, or will be 3 of the best attacking outside backs in the tournament, and can’t see them been benched behind Jock Campbell.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tahs usually player a whole load of newbies, kids and fringe clubbies in the first trial

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah no room to fluff around with club players or fringe players who have no chance of playing the season proper.

Teams need to get their combinations established early and come out of the blocks firing, otherwise risk a slow start to the season.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BH, wouldn't the projected return by Swinton have assumed 2 trial matches? If so, it probably means his return will now be delayed I'd expect. Or was there an end date nominated for the period of suspension?

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
From Brisbane? Take the scenic route through Warwick, Texas and Bingara. Get up close to Mt Kaputar then out onto the plains. Great drive.

From the Gold Coast. Will go through Warwick, but will leave Texas to the trip home.
Mt Kaputar & Warrumbungles are on my list, as I'll be away for a week

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, wouldn't the projected return by Swinton have assumed 2 trial matches? If so, it probably means his return will now be delayed I'd expect. Or was there an end date nominated for the period of suspension?

Swinton has been suspended from all forms of the game for 4 weeks, up to and including Saturday 6 February 2021.

I think Swinton benefited from his suspension being imposed prior to the 2021 schedule being released.