• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2012 SF Stormers v Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They should have won more games in the regular season if they wanted a rest. Stiff cheese.

Chiefs get home advantage but why make it no contest? There's no other competition in the world that has demands like this. Should just play 1 vs 2 after the regular season in it's current state.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Thank god the Stormers didn't win, coming last in tries and attack, this might persuade them to change their game plan next year.

You gotta feel for the Sharks don't ya.. having to travel all the way back to Hamilton 31.5 hours after the Chiefs match. It's not fair, give them a week off to make it an even contest.
gwerty were you calling for that for Crusaders last year?? I agree it bloody hard for Sharks, and I understand you supporting Wallabies, so if Boks and All Blacks can't assemble to a week later would work well for Oz, even I think you are being a bit wishful:rolleyes:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
gwerty were you calling for that for Crusaders last year?? I agree it bloody hard for Sharks, and I understand you supporting Wallabies, so if Boks and All Blacks can't assemble to a week later would work well for Oz, even I think you are being a bit wishful:rolleyes:

Of course I was. The Crusaders would've won if not for the travel. I don't go for the Reds.

Obviously it can't happen this week but they should give a week off into the schedule in the future.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
Of course I was. The Crusaders would've won if not for the travel. I don't go for the Reds.

Obviously it can't happen this week but they should give a week off into the schedule in the future.

What exactly are you proposing? That there is a week's break between the semis and the final? There aren't exactly free weeks being thrown around in the rugby calendar and, if the Stormers had won, ANOTHER week off for them and the Chiefs would be a bit silly.

If you want to avoid the travel you need to finish higher. The Sharks didn't so they have to do this the hard way. That's just how it is. If they win next week they will be f*cking legends.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)

Isn't one of the advantages of finishinghigher up that you DON'T have to travel?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Now I can agree with a week off in schedule if it can be found, but owe you apology ,thought you were talking about this year only, as Sharks had to travel. I can't see them ever finding week to have extra bye unfortunately, and is perhaps handicap of playing a truly international game that the travel becomes problem.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can we stop this crap about finishing higher then you don't need to travel..

There is no other competition in the world with the travel requirements, all I'm saying if SANZAR are fair dinkum with the finals to give everyone a fair shot (final rankings should give home advantage only) then they need to fix the system - if not the finals are pointless as 1&2 teams can only win. Seeing as there's always going to be a team from SA if one wants to win from 4-6 they're going to have to bounce back between continents in 2 weeks, an almost impossible task imo.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Can we stop this crap about finishing higher then you don't need to travel..

There is no other competition in the world with the travel requirements, all I'm saying if SANZAR are fair dinkum with the finals to give everyone a fair shot (final rankings should give home advantage only) then they need to fix the system - if not the finals are pointless as 1&2 teams can only win. Seeing as there's always going to be a team from SA if one wants to win from 4-6 they're going to have to bounce back between continents in 2 weeks, an almost impossible task imo.

I don't agree. Finishing in the top couple of teams in the regular season is a bloody hard achievement. In European football competitions they don't even bother with a knock out finals series because they know what a lottery it can be. The top teams should have the advantage of no travel as a reward for consistency.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
A great game of rugby that was, huge intensity, speed, big hits on defence and the better team won. You could see the Stormers lacked any sort of creativity at all. Only one-out line runners, no dummies, no cut out passes, no attacking chip kicks to counter the line speed of the Sharks. They literally tried to bash their way through.

The Sharks had a great game plan and stuck to it, Freddie Michalak was fantastic. If they win next week they are worthy champions, although home ground advantage will be telling I suspect.

I also thought Steve Walsh had a great game in the middle as well, either him or Joubert will do for next week.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Great thing to come out of this game for me is that I can use this as an example against the idea that great defence is all that is needed to win games. My team mates had me convinced that's all it takes. Apparently really good attack is secondary. Well now I can say to them - tell that to the Sharks!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Cracking game.

Says a lot about the Rugby coverage at the SMH that there's still no coverage in their rugby section.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Chiefs get home advantage but why make it no contest? There's no other competition in the world that has demands like this. Should just play 1 vs 2 after the regular season in it's current state.
Mate, were the rules not the same for everyone at the start? Isn't this sort of adversity what makes the comp the only comp in the world like it?

If we used the 1 v 2 system, who would have played the last 10 finals, btw?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Well done Shorkies. The travel schedule is what it is. When you have a competition spread over such a wide geographic area, there are going to be some hard luck stories in the finals. This year it's the Shorks, but to their credit they have played out of their skins so far. Last year it was the Cru. I haven't seen too many solutions proposed.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Excellent win by the Sharks. By far the best team on the day and in great form. Can they go all the way? Sure they can, there is nothing standing in their way at the moment to achieve something really special.

For the Stormers I thought Etsebet had a good one. It dont sit into anyone's pants to run over Bismarck. Back to the dwaing board for our lot, we have a rematch in twee weeks time and hopefull we can get it right to get one over the newly crowned S15 champion.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
For the Stormers I thought Etsebet had a good one. It dont sit into anyone's pants to run over Bismarck. Back to the dwaing board for our lot, we have a rematch in twee weeks time and hopefull we can get it right to get one over the newly crowned S15 champion.

I don't want to sound like a dick Paarl but it was predictable wasn't it? The Stormers can't chase down a lead because they can't score tries, 2 to 1 in the end. They need to fix their game plan and tactics, it's not good having the best defence in the comp if you also have the worst offence. This is super rugby, not test rugby. Stormers got some work to do if they want to win the comp.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Excellent win by the Sharks. By far the best team on the day and in great form. Can they go all the way? Sure they can, there is nothing standing in their way at the moment to achieve something really special.

Too bad Paarl. Ran into the Sharks at the wrong time.

You need a new coach or at least backline coach.

All that talent is being wasted if you ask me.

And as good as Grant is on defense and kicking goals, his kicking out of hand is not up to standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.