• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2023 Rd 1 - Reds v Hurricanes

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well - here we go. Thorn and the Reds get a chance to make a big statement up front (and then back it up the following week in Brumby town).

Who we run out at lock might be an issue and we may be without O’Connor but these things are part and parcel of modern Pro Rugby.

Even though we didn’t get the result I really liked the attacking intent the Reds showed at Narrabri. If we can get the detail right we’ll score points and I thought our defence generally seemed sound - letting Jorgensen stroll through untouched aside (I get the impression that won’t be the last time he leaves a few grasping at air).

Defensive lineout was better but we still had some issues with our attacking lineout as well as defensively against the lineout maul. We have to do better here - with a quartet of Wilson, Wright, Uru plus 1 we have the cattle to be one of the strongest lineouts.

Possible line up -
Ravai
Faessler
Nonggorr
Smith (hopefully)
Uru
Wright
McReight
Wilson
McDermott
O’Connor/Creighton
Petaia
Henry
Paisami
Vunivalu
Campbell
Asiata
Zander
Fa’agase
Jones
Anderson
Thomas
Flook
Daugunu

Not sure on fitness on a couple of those.

Tough call in the centres. Won’t be disappointed however it goes. I wouldn’t be opposed to a Henry/Flook combo (and that is no sleight on Paisami) but I think you have to back your test centre.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I know a few heading up to the game with corporate events, I fished for an invite but didn't receive. Not sure what the crowd will be like but it's created a bit of a buzz in the Townsville rugby community at least.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Well - here we go. Thorn and the Reds get a chance to make a big statement up front (and then back it up the following week in Brumby town).

Who we run out at lock might be an issue and we may be without O’Connor but these things are part and parcel of modern Pro Rugby.

Even though we didn’t get the result I really liked the attacking intent the Reds showed at Narrabri. If we can get the detail right we’ll score points and I thought our defence generally seemed sound - letting Jorgensen stroll through untouched aside (I get the impression that won’t be the last time he leaves a few grasping at air).

Defensive lineout was better but we still had some issues with our attacking lineout as well as defensively against the lineout maul. We have to do better here - with a quartet of Wilson, Wright, Uru plus 1 we have the cattle to be one of the strongest lineouts.

Possible line up -
Ravai
Faessler
Nonggorr
Smith (hopefully)
Uru
Wright
McReight
Wilson
McDermott
O’Connor/Creighton
Petaia
Henry
Paisami
Vunivalu
Campbell
Asiata
Zander
Fa’agase
Jones
Anderson
Thomas
Flook
Daugunu

Not sure on fitness on a couple of those.

Tough call in the centres. Won’t be disappointed however it goes. I wouldn’t be opposed to a Henry/Flook combo (and that is no sleight on Paisami) but I think you have to back your test centre.

I'd probably look at starting Flook on the wing ahead of Vunivalu to be honest, particularly if Campbell is out (though Vunivalu probably then covers the other wing with Petaia at fullback). Also If O'Connor is fit then Creighton is on the bench ahead of Daugunu.

Otherwise that looks pretty likely given the injuries. If Nasser is available I'd probably put him on the bench ahead of Asiata, but given he didn't play the trials I can't see him starting.

Reactions: TSR

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Haven't seen too much about the Canes coming into the season but it's my understanding both Cameron and Love are joining Perenara injured on the sidelines, so their playmaking axis is looking a bit depleted.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Haven't seen too much about the Canes coming into the season but it's my understanding both Cameron and Love are joining Perenara injured on the sidelines, so their playmaking axis is looking a bit depleted.
Yep Wilson. I was at Cane's last preseason hit out yesterday, and Aidan Morgan, only fit 10 was pretty ordinary, didn't look to flash at all. Actually thought a young fella (Godfrey from Hawkes Bay and NZ U20) from wider squad looked a better propect.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yep Wilson. I was at Cane's last preseason hit out yesterday, and Aidan Morgan, only fit 10 was pretty ordinary, didn't look to flash at all. Actually thought a young fella (Godfrey from Hawkes Bay and NZ U20) from wider squad looked a better propect.
I don't mind some of what I've seen from Morgan, but he's far from consistent and pretty inexperienced at the moment so having no Perenara inside him to steady things and run the show leaves him really exposed. I guess Booth is experienced enough now he should help, but I can't say he's ever made much of an impression on me. How was he looking in their trials?

And more importantly what are the chances Ardie will have an All Black rest or stub his toe getting off the plan and have to miss the game?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't mind some of what I've seen from Morgan, but he's far from consistent and pretty inexperienced at the moment so having no Perenara inside him to steady things and run the show leaves him really exposed. I guess Booth is experienced enough now he should help, but I can't say he's ever made much of an impression on me. How was he looking in their trials?

And more importantly what are the chances Ardie will have an All Black rest or stub his toe getting off the plan and have to miss the game?
Well I was not overly impressed with Booth at 9, I actually would start Roigard at 9 personally (looked to me like a 2024 AB 9 on Friday).
Can't help you with Ardie stubbing toe mate:D, but in Flanders (who will probably be at 6) and Iose they got a couple of reasonable replacements.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Well I was not overly impressed with Booth at 9, I actually would start Roigard at 9 personally (looked to me like a 2024 AB 9 on Friday).
Can't help you with Ardie stubbing toe mate:D, but in Flanders (who will probably be at 6) and Iose they got a couple of reasonable replacements.
Flanders is good player but there really isn't a replacement for Ardie - if he didn't play last year I doubt the comeback would've happened. With Perenara already out his leadership is vital to this side.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Flanders is good player but there really isn't a replacement for Ardie - if he didn't play last year I doubt the comeback would've happened. With Perenara already out his leadership is vital to this side.
Yep I think we will find that Barrett at 12 will be taking even more of a leadership role within backline, and help the 10.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'd probably look at starting Flook on the wing ahead of Vunivalu to be honest, particularly if Campbell is out (though Vunivalu probably then covers the other wing with Petaia at fullback). Also If O'Connor is fit then Creighton is on the bench ahead of Daugunu.

Otherwise that looks pretty likely given the injuries. If Nasser is available I'd probably put him on the bench ahead of Asiata, but given he didn't play the trials I can't see him starting.
You’re probably right. That’s actually the way I typed it out first go (with Flook on the wing) - but decided to back Vunivalu. I still think he has a lot to give if he can get his hamstrings right - but maybe Thorn will want him to come off the bench to earn his spot.

Agree on O’Connor/Creighton. If O’Connor isn’t fit maybe Lynagh gets a run to provide better balance on the bench.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yep I think we will find that Barrett at 12 will be taking even more of a leadership role within backline, and help the 10.
Is he going to be consistently at 12 this year or will they keep swapping him between 12 and 15 again? They seem a bit light on at fullback with Love injured.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
You’re probably right. That’s actually the way I typed it out first go (with Flook on the wing) - but decided to back Vunivalu. I still think he has a lot to give if he can get his hamstrings right - but maybe Thorn will want him to come off the bench to earn his spot.

Agree on O’Connor/Creighton. If O’Connor isn’t fit maybe Lynagh gets a run to provide better balance on the bench.
It sounds a lot like Campbell is going to be out (latest I've heard was Christy Doran on the espnscrum podcast saying 1-2 rounds), so it seems pretty likely it'll be Flook and Vunivalu on the wings with Petaia at fullback. Still a chance Daugunu gets one of those wing spots, but personally I feel a hell of a lot safer with Flook in the back three when there's no Campbell.

It'll probably then be between Daugunu and Grealy for the 23 jersey, unless Thorn decides to go 6-2 to better manage the forwards in the heat. Not sure we have the lock depth at the moment for that though.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
It sounds a lot like Campbell is going to be out (latest I've heard was Christy Doran on the espnscrum podcast saying 1-2 rounds), so it seems pretty likely it'll be Flook and Vunivalu on the wings with Petaia at fullback. Still a chance Daugunu gets one of those wing spots, but personally I feel a hell of a lot safer with Flook in the back three when there's no Campbell.

It'll probably then be between Daugunu and Grealy for the 23 jersey, unless Thorn decides to go 6-2 to better manage the forwards in the heat. Not sure we have the lock depth at the moment for that though.
What's Campbell's injury? I must've missed the news on it

Wilson

David Codey (61)
What's Campbell's injury? I must've missed the news on it
Not sure, I haven't actually heard what the injury was or when he picked it up. Just going off the fact that he didn't feature in the trials and Doran's latest comments on the espnscrum podcast.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Is he going to be consistently at 12 this year or will they keep swapping him between 12 and 15 again? They seem a bit light on at fullback with Love injured.
Yep, I can see him playing at 15 on occasion, but much more at 12, there is also Moorby who is pretty handy in the 15 jersey. I can actually see Barrett at 10 a little bit with Cameron and Love both out, and not sure if Morgan won't get dragged early in games.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Hearing Lynagh set to start. Creighton must be bench and JOC (James O'Connor) still injured.

Reactions: TSR