• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2024 General Chat

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fukn lol at the idea of the Jaguares replacing the Rebels. Jeezus these fucking bozos have no idea.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some opta stats from Rnd 1 (Aussie focussed). Sorry can’t copy and paste so just screen shots.

IMG_5236.png
IMG_5235.png
IMG_5234.png
IMG_5233.png

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
You want a viable (relatively) low cost option? Park a team in Western Sydney (which should have been done years ago) and let them share some resources with the Waratahs.

You can give it a Pacifika flavor if that helps with finding and there is an endless pipeline of Panther and Eel rejects to fill the team.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
You want a viable (relatively) low cost option? Park a team in Western Sydney (which should have been done years ago) and let them share some resources with the Waratahs.

You can give it a Pacifika flavor if that helps with finding and there is an endless pipeline of Panther and Eel rejects to fill the team.
Honestly. A 2nd Pasifika team playing out of Western Sydney wouldn't be the worst idea. While the Moana is there to provide a pathway for PI players it only partially addressed the issues faced by the PI Unions but specifically Sampa and Tonga. The Drua gives Fiji even more of an advantage. Samoa and Tonga need a 2nd squad to help close the gap.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez now Kearnsie is on the cut Aussie teams. In the same breath he seems to be going crook about Hamish being dumped who was supposedly a 5 team man?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
If we can find a promotor and producer who pays everyone as much as TEG Sport pay to host in Melbourne, then they'd move without looking back.

I suspect we can't find that though

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
If we can find a promotor and producer who pays everyone as much as TEG Sport pay to host in Melbourne, then they'd move without looking back.

I suspect we can't find that though
These decisions need to be made with more in mind than the straight reimbursement. There's an opportunity cost this decision and they need to find the balance between the marketing value of a well attended super round and the hosting payment.

I mentioned this in one of the match threads, but I wouldn't mind seeing them exploring Aus Government funding for the Pacific to see about hosting it in Fiji. It's the sort of thing that would make a big splash over there, particularly with visiting teams doing clinics and any charity work they might throw in the same way teams used to for South African tours. I don't know what sort of money they're getting for it at the moment, but if you could combine that PacificAus funding with maybe a Fiji airways sponsorship it might be competitive and the vibes would be immaculate.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah it’s a great idea but completely wasted on Melbourne. Time to move it to a real city.
Why? Nobody else has put up any money. Also the idea off all these magic round ideas is tourism. So the fact nobody is coming reflects more on the other 11 clubs

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Why? Nobody else has put up any money. Also the idea off all these magic round ideas is tourism. So the fact nobody is coming reflects more on the other 11 clubs
This is 100% the truth. The super round is a failure because fans of other teams don’t attend. The local market could do better but the complete lack of fans of other teams is abysmal

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
. I don't know what sort of money they're getting for it at the moment, .
It's something like $300,000 guaranteed for each team who lose a home game

Tax payer funds Visit Victoria. VV pay TEG. TEG pay the teams via the unions.

All designed to increase tourism spend in Victoria.

TEG carries the risks on ticket sales

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So there are some fans that actually attend? It seems likely that other cities would have more fans there.

I thought the point of magic round is to create something enjoyable for the fans... Which it was by the way. I had a blast which surprised me.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Fans are enticed by not just watching their team, but also the atmosphere created.

I like the concept l, but the idea of paying $1500 for flights, accom and tickets to sit In a stadium that’s 80% empty is hard to justify.

Conversely, I’ve bought NRL magic round tickets this year because it’s an event now with critical mass that generates extra excitement through capacity crowds.

Top Bottom