• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2024 General Chat

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Aren't team naming deadlines a certain time before games? I thought had always been case and didn't know it had stopped.
I was more talking about the whole competition Wednesday team naming deadline that Super AU ran that had all teams dropping at the same time, on the same day.

The weak, 48 hours before kick off, dribbling out that occasionally saw some teams named after the start of the round we saw last year for super rugby pacific just wasn't good enough for a modern competition trying to generate noise and grab market share.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
With my perspective in Melbourne when I was finishing up in senior rugby. A big group of lads from the club would regularly go to storm games. You were pushing shit up hill to get them to go watch the Rebels and they would get stuck into you for watching footy saying the old lines “why do you support the gayfl”

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
That's pretty cool. Respect to Crusaders for being so iconic they're a bucketlist item. Not doing it to better his game or career, simply because he always wanted to.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I was more talking about the whole competition Wednesday team naming deadline that Super AU ran that had all teams dropping at the same time, on the same day.

The weak, 48 hours before kick off, dribbling out that occasionally saw some teams named after the start of the round we saw last year for super rugby pacific just wasn't good enough for a modern competition trying to generate noise and grab market share.
Ok mate, just something I never really jheard anyone complain about,ever but maybe on here. I genuinely don't need to know a team playing on Sunday on a Wednesday, as usually as season gets going they still waiting to see how players are fitness wise, and I dislike teams being changed after being named, causes more confusion. Just my opinion, but I really don't think I need to know the teams earlier than we do. Even WC don't feel the need to do it, and heard no complaints about that.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ok mate, just something I never really jheard anyone complain about,ever but maybe on here. I genuinely don't need to know a team playing on Sunday on a Wednesday, as usually as season gets going they still waiting to see how players are fitness wise, and I dislike teams being changed after being named, causes more confusion. Just my opinion, but I really don't think I need to know the teams earlier than we do. Even WC don't feel the need to do it, and heard no complaints about that.
You bring that up every time it's mentioned Dan, but whether or not you care is not exactly relevant to the wider competition management decisions. No offence, but you're not exactly the target market the game needs to be speaking to here, particularly not with moves like this to boost engagement. Consistent team naming time makes it significantly easier to get media coverage and is a big help for things like fantasy rugby and tipping pools that are all forms of fan engagement. This regularly comes up not just here, but also on wider social media channels not necessarily dedicated to rugby.

As far as changes to teams as named are concerned, they are pretty rare and I don't believe they cause significant confusion amongst the viewing public. More to the point most changes that happen to a named line up tend to be immediately before the game, as players are given as long as possible to prove fitness or hurt themselves while warming up, so Wednesday vs 48 hours doesn't make a significant difference. If there is an issue with confusion then the key thing is improving how those late changes are communicated as they will continue to happen regardless of the team naming strategy.

Last edited:

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
You bring that up every time it's mentioned Dan, but whether or not you care is not exactly relevant to the wider competition management decisions. No offence, but you're not exactly the target market the game needs to speaking here, particularly not with moves like this to boost engagement. Consistent team naming time makes it significantly easier to get media coverage and is a big help for things like fantasy rugby and tipping pools that are all forms of fan engagement. This regularly comes up not just here, but also on wider social media channels not necessarily dedicated to rugby.

As far as changes to teams as named are concerned, they are pretty rare and I don't believe they cause significant confusion amongst the viewing public. More to the point most changes that happen to a named line up tend to be immediately before the game, as players are given as long as possible to prove fitness or hurt themselves while warming up, so Wednesday vs 48 hours doesn't make a significant difference. If there is an issue with confusion then the key thing is improving how those late changes are communicated as they will continue to happen regardless of the team naming strategy.
Engagement with sports betting and fantasy games are critically important these days

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You bring that up every time it's mentioned Dan, but whether or not you care is not exactly relevant to the wider competition management decisions. No offence, but you're not exactly the target market the game needs to be speaking to here, particularly not with moves like this to boost engagement. Consistent team naming time makes it significantly easier to get media coverage and is a big help for things like fantasy rugby and tipping pools that are all forms of fan engagement. This regularly comes up not just here, but also on wider social media channels not necessarily dedicated to rugby.

I will admit to maybe the market in Aus is different to here, but it's not just me, I really have never heard anyone mention it as a problem is what I meant. I understand I not the target market etc, and have NEVER heard it mentioned by anybody outside this particular forum, and I haunt a few. And never even when I lived in Aus heard one person mention it, but agree that could be I tended to hang with rugby people anyway.
But I can understand if some think it a problem, just personally think it well down on things that Super needs to do too make it a better product.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I will admit to maybe the market in Aus is different to here, but it's not just me, I really have never heard anyone mention it as a problem is what I meant. I understand I not the target market etc, and have NEVER heard it mentioned by anybody outside this particular forum, and I haunt a few. And never even when I lived in Aus heard one person mention it, but agree that could be I tended to hang with rugby people anyway.
But I can understand if some think it a problem, just personally think it well down on things that Super needs to do too make it a better product.

well down it may be but there’s not like there’s an opportunity cost for not doing it.

“ok guys. We’ve committed to releasing team sheets by Wednesday night each week. So that obviously means we can’t do 20 minute red cards anymore sorry. “

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That's pretty cool. Respect to Crusaders for being so iconic they're a bucketlist item. Not doing it to better his game or career, simply because he always wanted to.

Not sure what he's getting out of it. Canterbury is just like Wales: full of curmudgeonly white people with weird accents :p

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
SQUAD namings.
For the season.
Not each game.

The hint is in the title.

1698957520797.png

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Every other major professional code has done this for years, it’s a simple mechanism to increase the exposure of the competition by aligning to a schedule in which media can plan and schedule their reports and articles for the week.

Its basic stuff, and smelt of amateurism too have taken this long too do it. Whataboutism isn’t a reason to not address the low hanging fruit of issues in the competition.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Already forgotten about Beale ... and also on board with teh bantz filling the void during this content-free time ... but isn't the answer just a simple 'no'?
Well they cant give him the flick if he hasnt been found guilty yet.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Well they cant give him the flick if he hasnt been found guilty yet.
When Beale returned, his agreement was "until the end of 2023"...

His lawyers, a few months ago, secured court permission for him to travel overseas to take up *unconfirmed* offers to play.

But perhaps that's just a smokescreen and he's still training to suit up for the Tahs -- at thirty-five years of age.

Yeah, nah. I'd say he's already flicked.

In the unlikely event he's not, the Tahs won't be naming him in the squad.

They don't need to, and why would they?