• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2024 General Chat

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Great work.

Top 3 feel the most likely to be included in a Wallaby squad for mine and then Kautai has had moments. I like Spink and Ekuasi but there is so much to happen before the end of 2027 and 2028 we would need them to say I want to play for the Wallabies.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Out of curiosity and boredom on a lunch break, I put together a list of what, as far as I'm aware, is the list of "foreigners" playing for Aus Super teams. Other teams feel free to correct me.

PlayerPositionSuper SideOriginal International AllegianceInternational StatusCan become Eligible For WallabiesApproximate date of eligibility
Charlie GambleBackrowWaratahsNew ZealandUncappedYes
Apr-23​
Alex HodgmanPropRedsNew ZealandCappedYes
Nov-23​
Jahrome BrownBackrowBrumbiesNew ZealandUncappedYes
Mar-24​
Cabous EloffPropRebelsSouth AfricaUncappedYes
Jan-25​
Angelo SmithLock/BackrowRebelsFijiUncappedYes
Apr-27​
Sefo KautaiPropBrumbiesNew ZealandUncappedYes
May-26​
Vuate KarawalevuWingWaratahsFijiUncappedYes
Nov-26​
Tamati TuaCenterBrumbiesNew ZealandUncappedYes
Nov-27​
Sam SpinkCenterForceEnglandUncappedYes
Nov-27​
Chase TiatiaFullbackForceNew ZealandUncappedYes
Nov-27​
Vaiolini EkuasiBackrowRebelsNew ZealandUncappedYes
Jan-28​
Cormac DalyLockRedsIrelandUncappedYes
Jan-28​
Hayden Thompson-StringerPropWaratahsEnglandUncappedYes
Nov-28​
Felix KalapuLock/BackrowForceNew ZealandUncappedYes
Nov-28​
Ryan LouwrensScrum HalfRebelsSouth AfricaUncappedYes10+ years Residency
Campbell ParataFly HalfForceNew ZealandUncappedYes10+ years Residency
Jack MaunderScrum HalfRebelsEnglandCappedNoN/A
Matt ProctorCenterRebelsNew ZealandCappedNoN/A
Peni RaviPropRedsFijiCappedNoN/A
Jeffery Toomaga-AllenPropRedsNew ZealandCappedNoN/A
Santiago MedranoPropForceArgentinaCappedNoN/A
Atu MoliPropForceNew ZealandCappedNoN/A
Nikolai FoliakiCenterForceTongaCappedNoN/A

Interesting stats:

More than half (12/23) are Kiwis. Handful of ex-ABs as Marquee signings, others chasing opportunity they're not getting for the Kiwi teams.

5 players are currently eligible for the Wallabies (or will be by the inbound tours) and a further 4 will become so by the home World Cup if their contracts continue. Not all of them are in serious contention, but interesting to note.

More than 1/3rd of the players on this list are props! If props aren't ready to play by the time U20s is finished Aus seems to have a problem getting them to the next level.
Awesome work. I did a full run down of all the super players wallaby eligibility at the start of last season, this looks in line with what I had.

Planning on updating that sometime over the off season now the squads are out, this should be very helpful.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting to see the players etc and where they from, got a quetion, someone smarter than me will know (I know all you buggers are smarter than me:rolleyes:) . A player like Campbell Parata who has had 10 years etc in Aus (used to watch this kid playing for Southport School) he was been back to NZ for a few seasons playingclub rugby and NPC for the Mako, does this restart his residency qualifying etc for Aus?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Interesting to see the players etc and where they from, got a quetion, someone smarter than me will know (I know all you buggers are smarter than me:rolleyes:) . A player like Campbell Parata who has had 10 years etc in Aus (used to watch this kid playing for Southport School) he was been back to NZ for a few seasons playingclub rugby and NPC for the Mako, does this restart his residency qualifying etc for Aus?

8.1 Subject to Regulation 8.2, a Player may only play for the senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team, the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team and the senior National Representative Sevens Team of the Union of the country with which the Player has a genuine, close, credible and established national link in which:

(a) the Player was born; or

(b) one parent or grandparent was born; or

(c) the Player has completed sixty [1] consecutive months of Residence immediately preceding the time of playing; or

(d) the Player has completed ten years of cumulative Residence preceding the time of playing.

The "EXPLANATORY GUIDELINES" sections 14-19 explain what's hard and fast about the 10 years, and what's about "the vibes", but tl;dr Childhood time very much counts.

The Marketing Pigeon

Herbert Moran (7)
Really interested to see if we can see the effects of the Super Rugby commission this season - I did like the fact that they reported that they want the game to have less ref influence and showcase the best possible brand of rugby to put on display

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Paul Cully's piece on the McLennan situation contains this tidbit of info:

"...Kevin Molloy, the Auckland-based marketing expert who will be the inaugural chair of the Super Rugby commission for the first 18-24 months of the new entity’s existence."
That was reported back in Feb then again in June on the 2023 SPR thread

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^ I must've been distracted. I do remember hearing that someone had been appointed but not who it was. I know nothing about the bloke but presumably both RA & NZR agreed on him getting the gig so I'm encouraged by that.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
NZ franchises have their jersey reveals today. Unfortunately not as coordinated as the squad announcements.

The Blues have finally lost that extra punishing white box around the NIB logo which, by default, makes it their best in years.

ePlptT1BmUmtn6-r-XtY5yLg6okLPH1amIfp6bX2Zlc.jpg

Personally I quite like the alternative jersey.

qFqEsV0.jpeg

Highlanders.

arfGSns.jpeg

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well watching the main news tonight, on the sports there was a bit on NZ super teams first day together ready for preseason, and had the news at Blues as they gathered.
I like this and it is good to see, part of the keep the game in peoples' minds etc even out of season. Seems some are trying anyway.

WoodysRFC

Frank Row (1)
Well watching the main news tonight, on the sports there was a bit on NZ super teams first day together ready for preseason, and had the news at Blues as they gathered.
I like this and it is good to see, part of the keep the game in peoples' minds etc even out of season. Seems some are trying anyway.
Yes, the marketing has been good this season, particularly the Blues social media team, constant stream of content, making a big deal out of the jersey and squad announcements, players engaging with the community etc, as you say, keeping Super front and centre in people's minds, which is something that has been lacking in previous years.

The Marketing Pigeon

Herbert Moran (7)
Great incentive i heard out of the premiership that each week the players are getting sent out highlight clips to reshare on their own socials to increase fan engagement - would love to see similar in Super Rugby and the Super Rugby Socials pages posting constant highlights of games or players each week.
Think world rugby did a great job in the World Cup utilising tik tok to appeal to different mass audiences and introduce players to different markets.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Once again, I liking where the Blues are coming from re super going forward, and once again keeping it front and centre in people's minds.
With all die respect to @Adam84 , I not sure about what's happening in Oz etc, but personally I like where this Hore fella is going etc.