• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Australian team of the week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'll kick it off with a team suggested by qwerty.

1. Scott Sio
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Ben Alexander
4. Lopeti Timani
5. Rory Arnold
6. Sean McMahon
7. Liam Gill
8. Ben McCalman
9. Nic White
10. Matt To'omua
11. Rob Horne
12. Samu Kerevi
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Robbie Coleman

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah I'd be taking both Fainga'a and Talakai in the front row for the demolition job they did on the force scrum, but the force's set piece is pretty bloody woeful atm, so it's hard to judge how they compare.

Just to be clear this is Wallaby qualified players only? I'm assuming it is given it spawned off of a wallaby selection thread.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah why not, but if you really really want to post a SANZAR team of the week, I won't stop you.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
That wasn't a team of the week, it's a team of the tournament.

Whoops, sorry!
This is my suggestion then.
1. Scott Sio
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. Sam Talakai
4. Lopeti Timani
5. Rory Arnold
6. Sean McMahon
7. Michael Hooper
8. Ben McCalman
9. Nic White
10. Matt To'omua
11. Rob Horne
12. Samu Kerevi
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Lachlan Turner

HM Robbie Coleman, Higgers, Gill, Beale.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Maybe change the name of the thread to - "Australian Team of the Week"

My team of the week:-
1.Sio
2.TPN
3.Alexander
4.Arnold
5. Carter
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Higgers
9. White
10. To'omua
11. Hornes
12. Beale (pains me to say it)
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

HM: Skelton, Gill, Harris, SFaingaa, Naiyaravoro, Kepu

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Agree with Higgers at 8 in place of Ben (@Bairdy will be flabbergasted). Thought Higgers had a particularly strong game for the Rebels against the Tahs'pack while noone really put it to the Reds for the Force.

Locks are a difficult selection. How important were Arnold and Carter to the Brumbies' scrum gaining the advantage over a very good Chiefs' scrum? If decisive, then I'd also go with them. But for open field play, I think both Timani and Skelton would also have to be considered.

12 would have to be either Kerevi or To'omua; Kerevi for his bustling runs and To'omua for his strong all round game. IMO Beale made too many mistakes to gain a spot in the team of the week.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
12 would have to be either Kerevi or To'omua; Kerevi for his bustling runs and To'omua for his strong all round game. IMO Beale made too many mistakes to gain a spot in the team of the week.

Beale scored a try, had a try assist, and had three line breaks.

I think he's up there for Aussie player of the round.

drop kick

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agree with Higgers at 8 in place of Ben (@Bairdy will be flabbergasted). Thought Higgers had a particularly strong game for the Rebels against the Tahs'pack while noone really put it to the Reds for the Force.

Locks are a difficult selection. How important were Arnold and Carter to the Brumbies' scrum gaining the advantage over a very good Chiefs' scrum? If decisive, then I'd also go with them. But for open field play, I think both Timani and Skelton would also have to be considered.

According to nic white, he and To'omua made too many mistakes to be in team of the week.
"White made no excuses for the Brumbies' poor decisions in the dying stages of the match, conceding he and To'omua needed to ensure the team stuck to its plan."

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
  1. Sio
  2. Fainga'a
  3. Alexander
  4. Timani
  5. Arnold
  6. Thomson / McMahon
  7. Gill
  8. Higginbotham
  9. Genia
  10. To'omua
  11. Speight
  12. Kerevi
  13. Kuridrani
  14. Naiyaravoro
  15. Turner
HMs: McCalman, Hooper, Folau

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
  1. Sio
  2. Fainga'a
  3. Alexander
  4. Timani
  5. Arnold
  6. Thomson / McMahon
  7. Gill
  8. Higginbotham
  9. Genia
  10. To'omua
  11. Speight
  12. Kerevi
  13. Kuridrani
  14. Naiyaravoro
  15. Turner
HMs: McCalman, Hooper, Folau
Just about nailed it imo. Maybe Burgess for Genia with White a close third. Luke Jones and Sam Carter also went good at lock, while Will Skelton is showing real signs of improvement.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Sean McMahon:
  • 18 tackles
  • 1 missed tackle
  • 2 turnovers
  • 6 carries for 14m
Adam Thomson:
  • 14 tackles
  • 1 missed tackle
  • 2 turnovers
  • 4 carries for 17m

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Thomson was more influential in the outcome of the game than McMahon.

I realise 80% of the forum hates Kurtley Beale but people are kidding themselves if they don't have him at 12 in their team of the week for round 2.

He had to be close to Aussie player of the round.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Sean McMahon:
  • 18 tackles
  • 1 missed tackle
  • 2 turnovers
  • 6 carries for 14m
Adam Thomson:

• 14 tackles
  • 1 missed tackle
  • 2 turnovers
  • 4 carries for 17m
Sean McMahon - Rebels L
Adam Thomson - Reds W

Rebels also played a significantly more open game. Thomson had little of the same amount of time to make runs & tackles but his scrummaging and presence for the Reds was huge.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)

I realise 80% of the forum hates Kurtley Beale but people are kidding themselves if they don't have him at 12 in their team of the week for round 2.

He had to be close to Aussie player of the round.

I agree, but I just couldn't do it.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Using win/loss to determine who was a better player is just silly. As is using basic volume stats. The problem for McMahon is that the Rebels only had about 40% possession and so much of his work was in a defensive capacity, and to really stand out on defence you need a pretty freaky performance. It was a good, workmanlike, effort but nothing too influential. Very similar to the game Jones had actually.

If we're allowed non-Australians in the team then I thought Potgeiter was pretty comfortably the best, followed by Thomson.

Beale was excellent. Definitely the best 12 for mine.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. Talakai
4. Arnold
5. timani
6. Thomson
7. Gill
8. Higganbotham
9. Burgess
10. To'omua
11. Kuridrani
12. Beale
13. Kuridrani
14. Naiyavoro
15. Folau

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Yeah, Thomson's lineout work was absolutely vital to the reds win. He also seemed to lift those around him and seemed to be a big part of the pack getting it's mojo back, but that's a bit too difficult to measure to be worth including.

That said I thought the point was to pick Wallaby qualified players here.

Status
Not open for further replies.