• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) 2023 General Chat

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Woaaah! I can't believe it. Is this only for Super Rugby franchises? Are the ABs still with Adidas?
Yep, not sure when the ABs/Adidas contract finshes, in next year or so. Super teams have always done their own thing, they basically independabt bodies unlike the NPC unions. It's done a little different ovar here than Aus.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
See Orr from Rebels is in the Wellington NPC team this season. Not sure how true, but someone was saying a reasonable number are coming over to play this season, makes sense.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
See Orr from Rebels is in the Wellington NPC team this season. Not sure how true, but someone was saying a reasonable number are coming over to play this season, makes sense.
Orr's been released, he's a good bloke but 4 doesn't go into 3. Should hopefully show enough to get another go somewhere, even if it's as number 3 again.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Glad we agree, I've adapted your post for you
Maybe this is more accurate:

According Rugby Planet, Super Rugby is the fifth best competition in the world, they say NZ sides are top in the world and the Aussies sides aren't good enough likes in times past

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Funnily enough Will Genia was talking about it on tv here last night. He goes suggested a very unpopular decision (thank god he's not a kiwi), but actually one other thing he spoke about was cause for thought (for me anyway).
But Will apart from that was interesting anyway, speaking about Wallabies.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Funnily enough Will Genia was talking about it on tv here last night. He goes suggested a very unpopular decision (thank god he's not a kiwi), but actually one other thing he spoke about was cause for thought (for me anyway).
But Will apart from that was interesting anyway, speaking about Wallabies.
About what? Link?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
apo_zpsu4n1gq2a.png

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
About what? Link?
It was Aotearoa rugby pod, just when he talked about League and popularity of SOO etc, made me think it only involves 2 states but still everyone seems to be interested in Aus? Just about marketing etc. Also as he from what he says he's kind of a top down man, for rugby to be strong it has to satrt from Wallabies and spread down. Could have point as when Wallabies were strong when I moved to Aus super games were incredibly supported. Was as always just interested in hearing another opinion.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd agree with that in regards to top down. It affects the Super Rugby enormously IMO. With very limited media exposure especially on the FTA channels the Wallabies can be the only way the non Rugby watcher will get any content at all. 7s in the Olympics is probably no.2.

I would say I don't think it has as much effect on Club Rugby (Premier) though. A lot of people who have become disgruntled by RA and Super Rugby still go to Club Rugby and Schools Rugby as much if not more than 10-15 years ago.