• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) 2023 General Chat

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Didn't realise that Sef was still with Reds Reg,(haven't checked team lists yet) but good on him if he is. But I will try and guess who or what team Holland will put on field against Reds. Good to see guess work going on already.

For Force, I would think Campbell Parata might be pretty close, and would get bench spot al least?

Not even sure Parata is contracted next year. Would he be considered for a spot over there?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thought I read somewhere that Force had signed him but if not CruSadists would probably look at him for at least a WTG spot.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Didn't realise that Sef was still with Reds Reg,(haven't checked team lists yet) but good on him if he is. But I will try and guess who or what team Holland will put on field against Reds. Good to see guess work going on already.

For Force, I would think Campbell Parata might be pretty close, and would get bench spot al least?
Fa'agase rejoined the Reds late last year, originally on lone from the Rebels I think.

Given the way the Force signed playmakers in the off season I think they probably want to hold Parata back a bit longer, but I haven't seen him play recently to know.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not even sure Parata is contracted next year. Would he be considered for a spot over there?
I would think Crusaders wouldn't mind him on books for 2024, but I think he gets a bit homesick and misses his parents a fair bit, one of things that helped to get him back to WA.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Fa'agase rejoined the Reds late last year, originally on lone from the Rebels I think.

Given the way the Force signed playmakers in the off season I think they probably want to hold Parata back a bit longer, but I haven't seen him play recently to know.
Parata looked quite good playing for Tasman in NPC when he was plaing.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok, trying to distract myself from the Wallabies this is my attempt to look at likely Oz teams come Round 1:
s:

REDS v HURRICANES

Reds:

- expected injured ??? = Josh Nasser??, James O'Connor??

1 Harry Hoopert, 2 Richie Asiata, 3 Taniela Tupou, 4 Ryan Smith, 5 Luke Jones, 6 Seru Uru, 7 Fraser McReight, 8 Harry Wilson, 9 Tate McDermott [c], 10 Lawson Creighton, 11 Jordan Petaia, 12 Isaac Henry, 13 Hunter Paisami, 14 Suliasi Vunivalu, 15 Jock Campbell.

16 Matt Faessler, 17 Sef Fa'agase, 18 Zane Nonggorr, 19 Angus Blyth, 20 Liam Wright, 21 Kalani Thomas, 22 Josh Flook, 23 Filipo Daugunu
Ok well guess at a Canes team to play Reds (not knowing of any late sign ups injuries etc) Well team I would be bloody happy with!

1 Xavier Numia, 2 Asofa Aumua, 3 Tyrell Lomax, 4 Dominic Bird, 5 Isaia Walker-Leaware, 6 Devan Flanders, 7 Du'Plessis Kirifi (Blake Gibson_ 8 Ardie Savea, 9 TJ Perenara, Aidan Morgan, 11 Julian Savea, 12 Jordie Barrett, 13 Baylinn Sullivan, 14 Josh Moorby, 15 Reuben Love

16 Dane Coles, 17 , Pouri Rakete-Stones 18 Owen Franks, 19 James Blackwel, 20 Brayden Iose, 21 Cam Roigard, 22 Brett Cameron 23 Peter Umaga-Jensen

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ok, trying to distract myself from the Wallabies this is my attempt to look at likely Oz teams come Round 1:

WARATAHS v BRUMBIES

Waratahs
:

- expected injured ??? = Lalakai Foketi, Izaia Perese, Harry Johnson-Holmes.

1 Angus Bell, 2 Dave Porecki, 3 Archer Holz , 4 Jed Holloway, 5 Ned Hanigan, 6 Langi Gleeson, 7 Michael Hooper, 8 Lachie Swinton, 9 Jake Gordon [c], 10 Ben Donaldson, 11 Nemani Nadolo, 12 Kurtley Beale, 13 Joey Walton, 14 Dylan Pietsch, 15 Mark Nawaqanitawase.

16 Tolu Latu, 17 Tom Lambert, 18 Tiaan Tauakipulu, 19 Hugh Sinclair, 20 Charlie Gamble, 21 Harrison Godard, 22 Tane Edmed, 23 Ben Dowling

I'm going to assume Swinton is gone until we hear further.

1. Bell 2. Porecki 3. Holz 4. Seu 5. Holloway 6. Hanigan 7. Hooper 8. Gleeson 9. Gordon 10. Donaldson 11. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) 12. RWV 13. Walton 14. Pietsch 15. Beale

16. Latu 17. Lambert 18. Taukipulu 19. Sinclair 20. Harris 21. Goddard 22. Edmed 22. Nadolo

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Couple of interesting stories from NZ super teams. First one is Caleb Trask going to Japan was a deal suggested and arranged by his franchise the Chiefs, knowing they got plenty of cover next year, (DMac, Gatland & Reihana) they thought a year playing at 10 in Japan would be good experience for learning to lead teams around park. The kind of forward thinking that impresses me to no end.https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/130050108/chiefs-manufacture-unique-japan-deal-for-young-playmaker-kaleb-trask

And Highlanders have got an attack coach from England, don't know a lot about him, but fairly highly recomded it seems, and they wanting a new look at how they attack. Very good open thinking I guessing, and they also got Chris Boyd coming back from Northamton Saints on board too.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
I'm going to assume Swinton is gone until we hear further.

1. Bell 2. Porecki 3. Holz 4. Seu 5. Holloway 6. Hanigan 7. Hooper 8. Gleeson 9. Gordon 10. Donaldson 11. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) 12. RWV 13. Walton 14. Pietsch 15. Beale

16. Latu 17. Lambert 18. Taukipulu 19. Sinclair 20. Harris 21. Goddard 22. Edmed 22. Nadolo
Think I'd prefer to see Harris at 6 over Hanigan. He was playing really well last year and I think would be a good partnership with Gleeson in terms of ball running. Think you've nailed the round 1 team though

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Rahboni Warren-Vosayaco at 12? Do you know something specific about this or are you suggesting a 27yr old converts to play in the centres of the basis of 2 Super Rugby games for the Sunwolves in 2018?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's temporarily until Foketi and Perese are back. Who else would be 12?

It appears both might be back anyway.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Seems Foketi definitely will be.

Walton, Edmed and Wilson could be options if not. Mostly 13s except Edmed but I think he'd be fine defensively.

I hope Henry O'Donnell get some time in trial games. Genuine 12. Don't expect him to play Super Rugby immediately though.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
RWV at 12 might be the best spot for him anyway, big carrier in a backline that is quite small.

It's hard to see him getting a look in the backrow, even with injuries.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Will Harison appears to have dropped completely off the radar in the eyes of many here, simply through injury, not any loss of form. I will be very surprised if he is not in the 23 somewhere. The other player you've overlooked is Charlie Gamble, who was arguably the best player in the team for 2022. Expect him to be in the 23, if not starting.
Anyone know when HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is expected back?

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Will Harison appears to have dropped completely off the radar in the eyes of many here, simply through injury, not any loss of form. I will be very surprised if he is not in the 23 somewhere. The other player you've overlooked is Charlie Gamble, who was arguably the best player in the team for 2022. Expect him to be in the 23, if not starting.
Anyone know when HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is expected back?
It's the injuries that stuttered him and out last year. If fully fit I expect him to be in most match day squads.

In regards to Gamble, he'll get plenty of time in the team with how good he was last year. I'd let Hanigan drop out of the team before Gamble, Harris, Gleeson and Hooper. I'm still keen to know his interest in the Gold pending is eligibility. Might be wrong but it wouldn't surprise me to see Hooper gone post RWC leaving the 7 open to him at the Tahs.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don't see where Gamble fits in the 23 if everyone is fit, he'll play due to injuries/rotation but he's not in the best 23.

He's not a lineout option, and with no genuine locks I think either Holloway or Hanigan is playing at 6. That leaves Gleeson at 8 and possibly Swinton.

I don't see how he's a better option off the bench than Harris or RWV either, Tahs need a bigger pack, not smaller.

Gamble's time will come replacing Hooper, either permanently or for resting purposes.

Anyway, this discussion more suited to the Tahs 23 thread.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Will Harrison appears to have dropped completely off the radar in the eyes of many here, simply through injury, not any loss of form. I will be very surprised if he is not in the 23 somewhere...
Remarkable that either Edmed or Donaldson, despite looking comfortable at Aus A level, could be third on the depth chart at 10 for the Tahs next year. And that wouldn't even include the fly-half who took the Tahs to the Super Rugby final early in his career...