• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) 2023 General Chat

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I hope RA isn't doing a deal for marginal increase in revenue share with an offset to increase NZRU share in Lions and RWC years. We need to be wary of making deals out to 2030 when we have those big revenue years in the meantime.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Pretty disappointing honestly that Rugby Australia have gone with a 'let's steady the ship' approach to Super Rugby and extending this deal until 2030 with no real innovation. A bit of a white flag in my opinion.

The only thing that could possibly light the fire in Australian rugby fans again will be winning the RWC in 2023, and I really don't see that happening. I genuinely think we have enough talent in this group to be a major contender in 2027 on home soil, but I'm doubtful of what our Super Rugby quality and engagement will be by that time.

The new generation of players/spectators don't have the history of the Wallabies 90s/2000s campaigns that really hooked the audience and made Super Rugby a thriving competition.
So deal is done, and that how you talk to press both CEos etc.
Happy it got a board to run it, and seems RA will get another 3-4mill a year for a few years, which seems true to me, all this splitting all revenue shit was just that b******t. I hope it all settles down and everyone gets on with rugby. Like that there talk of women's comp in a couple of years hopefully, and maybe only worry about trying different laws/trials to get a few extra people to watch. There one they talking about in Europe of a powerplay etc whil yc on etc etc, which not sure we need, but am quite happy to look at postives for now.

So bring it on!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I hope Rugby Australia isn't doing a deal for marginal increase in revenue share with an offset to increase NZRU share in Lions and RWC years. We need to be wary of making deals out to 2030 when we have those big revenue years in the meantime.
I think you will find that NZR is just giving Aus more of their tv money until they can stand on own feet with better tv deal BR, not sharing etc or anything like that, as both countries already have tv deals.

Doritos Day

Tom Lawton (22)
Pretty disappointing honestly that Rugby Australia have gone with a 'let's steady the ship' approach to Super Rugby and extending this deal until 2030 with no real innovation. A bit of a white flag in my opinion.

The only thing that could possibly light the fire in Australian rugby fans again will be winning the RWC in 2023, and I really don't see that happening. I genuinely think we have enough talent in this group to be a major contender in 2027 on home soil, but I'm doubtful of what our Super Rugby quality and engagement will be by that time.

The new generation of players/spectators don't have the history of the Wallabies 90s/2000s campaigns that really hooked the audience and made Super Rugby a thriving competition.
Winning the Bledisloe in prime time would do a lot more than an overnight WC win.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
sad capitulation even if the kiwis are throwing more money out to keep Australia involved, I remain unconvinced this will see true equality across the competition, and that’s what makes a great competition.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Winning the Bledisloe in prime time would do a lot more than an overnight WC win.

Strongly disagree.

Ask the casual Australian sports fan how many games are played in a Bledisloe series, or which competition the Bledisloe tests coincide with and you'll get crickets. No one knows anymore or cares apart from us actual fans.

A world cup stage is really the only saving grace for smaller market share sports in Australia now and start engaging with the broader audience.

Look at what's going on with soccer - I reckon 80% of the nation will be awake at 5am (or 6am) to watch them take on the Argies this weekend. I highly doubt you'd get anywhere near that figure for a Bleds test.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yep but seems we got it for next 8 years Derps, so time to make most of it.
giphy.gif

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) sucks. We all know it.

There's always the NRL. I'm not kidding. This was the first year in a long time I've watched more than a handful of games for a handful of minutes. Outside of Waratahs games I may just opt to watch that instead of the Kiwi's running about. More of the same from SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) is a pretty meh proposition for mine.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There's always the NRL. I'm not kidding. This was the first year in a long time I've watched more than a handful of games for a handful of minutes. Outside of Waratahs games I may just opt to watch that instead of the Kiwi's running about. More of the same from SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) is a pretty meh proposition for mine.

sadly, I understand. I’m still fighting that temptation, but can’t deny it exists.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I watched more NRL this year than I have for a long time but only because one of my sons mates played a bunch of games. Even despite the connection, I found the games quite tedious and I found myself disengaged pretty easily. I still prefer the constant contest that is rugby by a long way.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
I watched more NRL this year than I have for a long time but only because one of my sons mates played a bunch of games. Even despite the connection, I found the games quite tedious and I found myself disengaged pretty easily. I still prefer the constant contest that is rugby by a long way.
You don't like 300 stoppages a game, absolutely no contest other than gain, and 99% predictability of set structure?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There's always the NRL. I'm not kidding. This was the first year in a long time I've watched more than a handful of games for a handful of minutes. Outside of Waratahs games I may just opt to watch that instead of the Kiwi's running about. More of the same from SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) is a pretty meh proposition for mine.
State of origin was the best footy on all year. By some distance too. Was absolutely cracking.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
NRL is consistently average. I think Rugby has higher highs and lower lows but the whole spectrum is shifting downwards. Uncompetitive games, TMO bullshit - few things need ironing out.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
NRL is consistently average. I think Rugby has higher highs and lower lows but the whole spectrum is shifting downwards. Uncompetitive games, TMO bullshit - few things need ironing out.

I’ve never heard it put that way, but I agree.

80% of an NRL game plays as expected. Aside from Origin, which I think is peak Aussie ball sport entertainment, you can usually tune into the first ten and last ten of an NRL game and get a feel for the game.

Rugby has more chances to really make us smile. But also make us really angry.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

I agree. Rugby when played with speed and with a consistent flow is amazing but there's also a tribal element that I enjoyed about SRAu that was lost this season in my opinion. Which is the crux of my frustration. I've little interest in watching two NZ teams play nor am I keen to see a similar schedule to this season. If and it's a big if we see double rounds of derbies I might be more enthusiastic but if it continues down the current path I'm not sold.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
The most realistic outcome is reached.

Will be quite interesting to see the 2024 - 2027 4 year cycle in Super Rugby with Aus building up for a home World Cup and no Razor at the Crusaders (and likely no MacDonald at the Blues).

Can't see too much changing in 2023 though Tahs must be eyeing up taking the top Aussie spot and players being managed all over the comp in the build up to 2023 RWC.

Will also be interesting what happens when the broadcast deals come up for renewal in a couple of years.