• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 1: Waratahs vs Brumbies Friday, 24th February

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
This game could have huge repercussions for the whole season, especially for the Waratahs. One of only two home games against the competition's likely finalists and a loss here would be a huge setback. The Brumbies don't often win in Sydney, while virtually always winning in Canberra. But both teams badly want the win to get the season off to a good start and establish bragging rights; the loser will be playing catch-up.

Both teams had good trial hit-outs and injury lists are pretty short. Brumbies almost select themselves, but the Waratahs team announcement will be highly anticipated due to a logjam of talent in the squad. Part of a blockbuster Friday night, with the Crusaders against the Chiefs at 1700 and the Waratahs - Brumbies at 1935 AEDT.

Rain is forecast from Wednesday till Friday afternoon. The game should be dry but conditions are likely to be a bit greasy. Cue commentators platitudes and excuses.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Lot of dew on the ground. :D

One side has to lose but it won't be decisive over the season - both could still be in the finals which is what I'd expect,

I think the Brumbies forwards almost select themselves but the backs and formations are a bit unknown outside White, Ikitau and Wright. The Tahs are pretty much the opposite. The forwards pack depends on a few suspect selections after injury, while I think the backs are quite settled. Will be a belter of a game, especially if they both run the ball as much as they did in the trials.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure the Tahs backs select themselves,

Gordon, Foketi, Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) - that's it.

Edmed and Donaldson, probably 10 & 15 but we don't know for sure. Perese hasn't played in ages, will they put him against Ikitau straight away? Could even be on the wing. Nadolo or Jorgenson to start in place of Pietsch.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Not sure the Tahs backs select themselves,

Gordon, Foketi, Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) - that's it.

Edmed and Donaldson, probably 10 & 15 but we don't know for sure. Perese hasn't played in ages, will they put him against Ikitau straight away? Could even be on the wing. Nadolo or Jorgenson to start in place of Pietsch.
I think the backs will be Gordon, Edmed, Nadolo, Foketi, Tuipolotu/Perese, Nawaqanitawase, Donaldson with Goddard/Wilson, Perese/Tuipolotu and Jorgensen on the bench. I don't think Jorgensen will start against the Brumbies - they will want to be able to use Nadolo as a strike weapon to overpower the Brumbies and make metres into contact. The choice at 13 is all down to Perese's fitness. If Perese is still out then the bench 22 is going to be a huge step down in experience.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
G-Rob in the SMH is forecasting that Hugh Sinclair will start and that Perese AND Dylan Peitch are 50-50 to play on Friday. Not sure that Sinclair is our second best lock, but she's usually pretty close to the mark.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I think the backs will be Gordon, Edmed, Nadolo, Foketi, Tuipolotu/Perese, Nawaqanitawase, Donaldson with Goddard/Wilson, Perese/Tuipolotu and Jorgensen on the bench. I don't think Jorgensen will start against the Brumbies - they will want to be able to use Nadolo as a strike weapon to overpower the Brumbies and make metres into contact. The choice at 13 is all down to Perese's fitness. If Perese is still out then the bench 22 is going to be a huge step down in experience.
I‘n leaning towards backs being : Gordon, Edmed, Jorgensen, Foketi, Perese, Nawaqanitawase and Donaldson at 15…. 2 playmakers, although Donaldson‘s ability to fill in at 15 allows the coaches off picking between them. Edmed, solid. Donaldson far better to spark a backline, which is why he was picked on Wallaby tour. Nadolo off bench … not fit enough to start.
Does White get reined in and allow Noah more freedom in a Larkham coached side?
Brumby forwards have the edge.
I‘m tipping Brumbies by 7.
25000 plus crowd at new Stadium.
Bring it on and can’t wait for the season to kick off.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
G-Rob in the SMH is forecasting that Hugh Sinclair will start and that Perese AND Dylan Peitch are 50-50 to play on Friday. Not sure that Sinclair is our second best lock, but she's usually pretty close to the mark.
I would've had Sinclair as pretty comfortably the 3rd best lock option in the squad so it makes sense he'd start with Hanigan injured. Who would you have had ahead of him?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Genuinely all off vibes but I think the 'Tahs are going to pump the Brumbies here.

No pack in the Australia conference should get near the Brumbies. It's what happens outside that will determine the rest which will largely come down to Nic White.

I'd be very surprised if the Brumbies are pumped this Friday night

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
No pack in the Australia conference should get near the Brumbies. It's what happens outside that will determine the rest which will largely come down to Nic White.

I'd be very surprised if the Brumbies are pumped this Friday night
Thought you might be exaggerating especially after the losses of Sio & Fainga'a (and Tom Hooper).

But they can roll this out:
Slipper, Longeran, Ala'alatoa
Swain, Frost (Neville)
Samu, Reimer/Brown, Valetini

That's almost a Wallabies starting 8 so yeah you're right. Not sure who the Waratahs have injured for round 1 but they can put out a pretty heavy pack too. I wouldn't be surprised if the Brumbies start slow.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The ponies are the best drilled set of pigs in the country, they have a quality system/structure with buy-in from the lot of them

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thought you might be exaggerating especially after the losses of Sio & Fainga'a (and Tom Hooper).

But they can roll this out:
Slipper, Longeran, Ala'alatoa
Swain, Frost (Neville)
Samu, Reimer/Brown, Valetini

That's almost a Wallabies starting 8 so yeah you're right. Not sure who the Waratahs have injured for round 1 but they can put out a pretty heavy pack too. I wouldn't be surprised if the Brumbies start slow.

The Tahs don't have the quality at THP, nor are anywhere close at lock. Their backrow may just edge the Brumbies, but only just.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Brumbies to destroy Tahs scrums.

Tahs to win the battle at the ruck.

Nadolo to get stepped by wright more than once.

Nadolo to walk over wright, once.

Jorgenson to live up to the hype.

Swinton to play first game without seeing the cheese.

Tight game around the Maul, with Brumbies to be too well drilled.

Tahs to Win infront of a 30k crowd.
Ive managed to wrangle about 15 people to join, who else will be there?

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have to admit fellas, I will be real interested in this one, even from this side of the ditch. I know it's an Aus derby etc, but al these games will have me staying up for them. (perhaps Force/Rebels being exception about midnight here, and suspect a cripple fight)

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Perese hasn't played in ages, will they put him against Ikitau straight away? Could even be on the wing. Nadolo or Jorgenson to start in place of Pietsch.
Nadolo as starter would be a waste of time. He isn't fit enough to play in the beginning. Unleash the beast in the last 20 minutes to damage them

On the other hand, someone has to face Ikitau, I hope Perese is ready for that

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Brumbies to destroy Tahs scrums.

Tahs to win the battle at the ruck.

Nadolo to get stepped by wright more than once.

Nadolo to walk over wright, once.

Jorgenson to live up to the hype.

Swinton to play first game without seeing the cheese.

Tight game around the Maul, with Brumbies to be too well drilled.

Tahs to Win infront of a 30k crowd.
Ive managed to wrangle about 15 people to join, who else will be there?
So we are playing spot the lie? How'd I go

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From Opta

WAR v BRU.JPG