• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 2: Waratahs v Stormers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Waratahs start their campaign at Allianz next Saturday night against the Stormers, who are already on four points after their win last night against the Jaguares.

Have at it:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Cron speaks
"Technically and tactically we need to get our roles right so we don't second-guess ourselves or think. If we think we're slow," he said.
"I'm a big believer in the fact your forward pack does have to have a level of aggression, especially in the contact zone around ball carries and defence. I would like to see that start to come out in our pack.
"I think every single player can contribute. At the end of the day you've got to [want to] beat them more than they want to beat you. There's a level of aggression around that in the contact zone. You've got to want to hit them. That has to happen from No.1 to No.8."

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Good to see Cron has a significant presence. Hope we hear, and see, a lot more of his influence. If he can get a bit of the Norths cohesion and teamwork into the Tahs, they will be a much better outfit.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nice sentiment but we hardly have the pack to go out and bash them around the park and consistently win the collisions. With players like Hanigan, Hooper, Dempsey, Simmons, Wells etc. surely a game plan designed for a fit, mobile pack would be more appropriate.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Quite concerned that the Tahs are going into this game underdone with the Stormers already having played a proper game

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
The Stormers have a very heavy injury toll and didn't really impress against the Jaguares. The long travel should give the Tahs enough of an edge to win it IMO, as long as they show up.

That Damian Willemse looked bloody good, though. He'll be a handful this season.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Watched both SA conference games back to back and the Stormers/Jaguares lacked a great deal of fizz compared to the Lions/Sharks. The Lions/Sharks intensity was off the scale compared to the Stormers, who should have put the pedestrian Jaguares to the sword and snavelled themselves a bonus point. The midfield defence of the Jaguares was almost non-existent at times and the Stormers made huge metres when they ran the ball.

That said, all teams are usually rusty first up and the fact that the Stormers have got their first game away with a win gives them a distinct advantage. Still, I reckon the Tahs have some chance of starting with a win.

I'm not so sure of the round three game away against the Sharks. They ran the Lions very close and were full of aggression and power. They have a bye this week to fix their game one issues and then play the Tahs at home.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Quite concerned that the Tahs are going into this game underdone with the Stormers already having played a proper game

The Tahs used to be the fast starters, won a few, got talked up / talked themselves up (depending upon your location on Google Maps) then had the reality check for all concerned. Lately, they've been sluggish. I'm hoping the allegedly "fitter" Tahs are ready to go this year. They look like they should have a pretty dynamic ideal First XV - the concerns will be ability to mix it with bruisers and what happens when the inevitable injuries happen. I think they'll be a little better than last year but I doubt they'll threaten top of conference.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
With the players available to them, and a relatively stable coaching environment, there should be no reason the Tahs are not competing for top of the conference.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
With the players available to them, and a relatively stable coaching environment, there should be no reason the Tahs are not competing for top of the conference.

As people love to say. But so it often has been. Coaching might be stable but it's coming from a low base on last year's results (W:L I mean). Also, they have some depth issues in key spots. Reserve spots in most of the pack are thin, really. Take out Foley, Beale or Folau - makes a big difference. 2014 was notable for very few injuries to key players, and I think most Aus teams walk this tightrope a bit. Kiwi teams seem to have the happy knack of finding young replacements who slot in pretty well. Can't imagine why!
Anyway, we'll see. If the Tahs attack functions close to where it was last year, and their defence is significantly better they'll go alright. The latter thing will be the key.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I suspect a week in will give the Stormers a much better chance of being on the right side of the ref in the scrums. Massive advantage. I'd hope Simmo will have the LO to the Tahs.

If the Tahs havent fixed the D, the slippery back three of the Stormers will score tries.

This SHOULD be game Tahs. Make it so boys.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Waratahs by 55. Cant see the Stormers winning. The only light in our backline is Duimpie Willemse. I watched him since his u14 days at Paul Roos. He surely will be the new generation Springbok 10 in years to come. Something totally different to the usual SA 10.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Waratahs by 55. Cant see the Stormers winning. The only light in our backline is Duimpie Willemse. I watched him since his u14 days at Paul Roos. He surely will be the new generation Springbok 10 in years to come. Something totally different to the usual SA 10.

Oom, have you applied 10% GST to your usual prediction? Waratahs by 50, surely? :D

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs filled with stars
Tahs forwards to dominate all aspects of forward play and with just Izzy and Kurtley running rampant the score could be embarrassing to our Saffa brothers.

Tahs will flog 'em by 40

SomeOke

Frank Row (1)
No doubt the Tahs have more quality in the backs, specifically if the Stormers try to engage in a kicking battle I can see them getting punished severly by the likes of Beale and Folau on the counter.

The trick to victory will be to keep it tight, defend wide on structured ball from the Tahs and counter off any loose kicks. I back our forwards in the set piece so basically not allowing the Warratahs any unstructured ball will be key.

Hopefully our coaching staff realizes this but I have my doubts.

Tahs with home advantage but Stormers potentially less rusty, I can see it being a scrappy affair. Could go either way but I'd say Stormers by 5, Kitsoff and Louw will be too good for the Tahs tight 5.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No doubt the Tahs have more quality in the backs, specifically if the Stormers try to engage in a kicking battle I can see them getting punished severly by the likes of Beale and Folau on the counter.

The trick to victory will be to keep it tight, defend wide on structured ball from the Tahs and counter off any loose kicks. I back our forwards in the set piece so basically not allowing the Warratahs any unstructured ball will be key.

Hopefully our coaching staff realizes this but I have my doubts.

Tahs with home advantage but Stormers potentially less rusty, I can see it being a scrappy affair. Could go either way but I'd say Stormers by 5, Kitsoff and Louw will be too good for the Tahs tight 5.

Stormers defense has bashed the Tahs over the years, too strong around the centre and we struggle to get the go forward we need to give the backs space

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The biggest challenge for the Tahs in this and probably all games will be to match the opposition in the forwards. Apart from Hooper and Staniforth, there's not a lot of go forward or aggression in that pack. Will improve with the return of Kepu and Holloway. If the forwards can get near parity, the backs should get them over the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.