• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SuperRugby Waratahs V Crusaders, Rd 10 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rob Horne what have you done! I didn't think his suspension would be so costly but geez I would've prefered him out there at 13 so we could've kept the rest of the backline in their season positions and brought only in Paka for Foley who has been playing 15 his last couple of games. The backline shuffles and defence killed us.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am not a fan of SBW at all, but you are dreaming if you think he's not a great rugby player.

He's playing a lot better than last year: far fewer miracles attempted. And he might be better than I give him credit for but he is y no means great.
He gets utterly lost in defence still.
Nonu,smith, kahui and Fruen are all rugby union footballers of great quality and all are better rugby players than SBW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Promise ends in pain
Crusaders turn up to beat
Waratahs again

The forwards were pretty good, apart from the restarts. The Tahs scrum was great.

As noted elsewhere, Tom Carter had a shocker.

Crusaders took their chances (and why not when we lay them on for them so nicely). We didn't take ours to the same extent.

Despite reason, I won't give up until the Brumbies finish us off (or not). Win the rest of our local derbies and we are in with a chance*.

*very slim

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A couple of points

The kick offs
The Crusaders were able to isolate individual Tahs players, if the Crusaders can get there, so should the Tahs support players

Tom Carter
He has to be playing injured, he just doesn't miss that many tackles and make that many mistakes usually

The Crusaders attack
Two things struck me, the saders were able to keep their ball with less units at the breakdown and continually had overlaps. They also continually have attacking pods right and left in the tram tracks.

The Tahs Kicking
There were times when Barnes found space, but no one is consistently chasing hard and there simply wasn't enough work to get back in support and then to chase

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Just watched the replay now - Kaplan got a call from the AR - who identified "number 8" and when he made the mark for the penalty he indicated the offside defensive line. AND, on replay, Read had not retired before coming in to make the tackle. When Read asked if he "made the tackle", Kaplan said "You were offside". The commentators completely got it wrong, and turned the focus on the contest for the ball, which was not why the penalty was given.

Having only watched it the once, I defer to your analysis.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Promise ends in pain
Crusaders turn up to beat
Waratahs again

The forwards were pretty good, apart from the restarts. The Tahs scrum was great. As noted elsewhere, Tom Carter had a shocker.

Crusaders took their chances (and why not when we lay them on for them so nicely). We didn't take ours to the same extent.

Despite reason, I won't give up until the Brumbies finish us off (or not). Win the rest of our local derbies and we are in with a very slim chance.

Promise ends in pain. Yes but.... that was a close game on the scoreboard and not too far away on the field. The Crusaders team on the park Sunday with Richie at 6 would be the best team they can select - they've basically got no injuries. We, on the other hand have about eight out. So I'm down but nowhere near close to believing we are out.

The Reds draw from here is not easy at all. The Brumbies have four away games out of six, only two games out of six are easy. My guess is that the conference will hinge on the last game in Brisbane. A win next week and we are back in the hunt big time. Knock the Bulls over at the SFS the week after and we would be raging favourites.

And despite Growden's crap, that was a very committed team effort yesterday against one of the three competition top runners. The Brumbies will not be looking forward to next Saturday, they have the travel to deal with plus a Waratah team that will be hurting badly. Look for Tom Carter to have a blinder if he's not out injured.

Keep the faith!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not at all. Historically, the Tahs win very few under his officiating. I don't like him as a ref, nor do I think he is usually very good.
In this game, the Tahs lost, fair and square.
There was a lot of hoo-haa on Twitter about that penalty being a leg-up to the Tahs, which I think, on review, was plain wrong (the hoo-haa, not the penalty). That was all.

I know full well Kaplan has a horrid record with Tahs games & naturally as a fan you'd be worried. I just hope people are not assuming by default that because of that record the Tahs were hard done by. That's all I was saying.

I was impressed with the Tahs performance I thought they did very well. Dave Dennis played a great game I was confused as to why he was hooked. My boys did enough to get the job done.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For all the criticism of the Tahs backline defence, I thought the Crusaders first try was a thing of beauty.

The execution of that play was just superb and I think they would have made just about any backline look foolish.

The times we were beaten down the outside were disappointing, but that first try was just brilliant.

Robbie Fruean had a blinder. For someone of his talent, when he plays one of his best games, you are always going to be in trouble.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Some further thoughts:
  1. Peter Betham was a mixture. Missed some tackles but made some good runs. For someone who doesn't even have an EPS spot I thought he was not too bad.
  2. Pakalani's back and he too looked OK without winning the game.
  3. The problem was in the centres where Carter had an off day (he never does so hence the injury speculation) and Kingston was a boy against men. Tried hard but this will be a great learning experience, pity it had to be against the Crusaders.
  4. I don't like the in-game shuffling of positions in defence. I thought AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) played really well and I would leave him at 15 now that we have some wing stocks back. Barnes had a good game for a rookie, but he's not one. He's supposed to be our Dan Carter. By that criteria he didn't play well. I never get the feeling that he controls the game and somewhere down the track I'd like to try Bruce's suggestion of playing him at 15. Against the Brumbies I'd play him at 12 and Carter at 13.
  5. Timani needs to start with Mumm to the bench. Otherwise its steady as she goes. The forward efforts were very good. (Don't mention the restarts, I think I did once, but I think I got away with it).

E

ellabroz

The reality about Tom Carter is this - He has only played well this season when playing against the Rebels. They are hardly the benchmark of the competition.

Perhaps after another inept display, we will only occasionally see TC on the ABC for Sydney Uni.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Fruen is a big unit, first time I saw him live was last year against the Reds, was really surprised when what I thought was a massive, fit looking 8 line up and was running through the backs warm up drills.

Thank God we'll have Ant on him this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.