• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SVNS Series 2023/24

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Henry Hutchison played well and was instrumental in the 7th place play off win over USA with numerous turnovers. The women have all played well with Teagan Levi playing strongly after coming back from suspension. Still missing Lefau-Fakaosilea and Bienne Terita but the replacements have stepped up showing they have good depth.
Nasser had her best tournament.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
After France scored their first try the Aussies took the restart and the lifter threw the player forward up the field. Would have to only be boardrline legal

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Our girls folded under good pressure from the Kiwis. Both the US and NZ Womens teams have opted for deep kick offs with heavy pressure then on the opponent's try line as they attempt to get out. The strategy has worked well for both countries. It will be an interesting match up in the Gold Medal match.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I had not realised that with the changes in structure the final tournament in Madrid is now a "Grand Final" with the top 8 teams competing to be series champions, rather than the previous model of most points takes it. On that note it looks like the Australian Men's result in Hong Kong was good enough to secure a top 8 finish (the Women locked it down a while ago):

Adds a lot more interest to the final rounds of the Men's comp, where under the previous system Argentina would be pretty much uncatchable.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
It probably allows teams to rest players and give exposure to rookies young and old with out having to chase as many ranking points through the season.

I think we will see Hooper at the Singapore tournament but not Madrid when the strongest possible squad gets rolled out again.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think we will see Hooper at the Singapore tournament but not Madrid when the strongest possible squad gets rolled out again.

I think he will be in that best squad as one of our last couple of players. Our forwards are where we are weakest and I think he will improve substantially with the experience and I'd probably already pick him ahead of Michael Icely (who often isn't in our best squad).

I'd say our best 5 forwards are Hutchison, Malouf, Paterson, Lawson and Hooper.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pools for the last round of the Challenger Series;
GKS7-jrXsAAKW5E.jpeg
GKS7-jrWQAEjJNx.jpeg

Current standings:

SevensChallenger2024-Standings.png

Top four men’s and women’s teams secure spots in the promotion/ relegation play-offs at the HSBC SVNS 2024 Grand Final in Madrid (31 May - 2 June).

Last edited: