• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
This past weekend, for example, saw our first grade captain's bucks party, 1s and 2s at Mac Uni and 3s and 4s at Newport.

Two locations is tough enough with Halligan Cup. Three would be a nightmare, particularly having to go to Newport.

You'd have to say the regroup was the right decision; top 2 for both McLean and Grose, with a PD of 200+ and have basically locked in a finals spot with half the season to go, and the depth to take it all the way. Only trail Harbour by 50 points on the club championship, so the game in two weeks will be keenly watched.

I well remember playing 2 games back to back at tight head prop against Harlequins a few years ago. The same 15 played both games, including someone who came along just to help out, in order to make sure our club met its obligations.

At least we saved on jersey washing that week.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We knew we had the player numbers to go up in terms of first to fourth grade, but definitely not the colts.

On Colts: does the landscape change significantly once Eastwood piss off? I don't think they've even broken ground at the Pony Club yet, so it'll still be two years away. What resources are nearby from which you can recruit?

Last edited:

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Two locations is tough enough with Halligan Cup. Three would be a nightmare, particularly having to go to Newport.

You'd have to say the regroup was the right decision; top 2 for both McLean and Grose, with a PD of 200+ and have basically locked in a finals spot with half the season to go, and the depth to take it all the way. Only trail Harbour by 50 points on the club championship, so the game in two weeks will be keenly watched.

I well remember playing 2 games back to back at tight head prop against Harlequins a few years ago. The same 15 played both games, including someone who came along just to help out, in order to make sure our club met its obligations.

At least we saved on jersey washing that week.
We'll see if the regroup is the right decision in the longer term. At the moment, it is doing what we needed it to do and drawing some players back to the club.
The points differential is not something that we are discussing. As fun as the game was, and I don't want to sound like I'm pouring pity on them, I took no pleasure, as the first grade coach, in putting 90 points on Northern Saints.
We are breaking the season down into chunks. We are part way through the 3 chunks, with good wins over Mac Uni. We now change focus to Raptors this week and being back at home, and then the trip to Oysters/Easts.
Definitely not thinking about the post-season, or anything further ahead than Oysters.
On Colts: does the landscape change significantly once Eastwood piss off? I don't think they've even broken ground at the Pony Club yet, so it'll still be two years away. What resources are nearby from which you can recruit?
I don't think the landscape changes for us once Eastwood leave. I don't believe that Eastwood are really drawing from the local area - I think they have target zones around the Hills and Dural. What we do want to do is position ourselves as a seriously fun rugby option for kids coming out of North Rocks, Central Eastwood and Ryde, who just don't want the excess of Eastwood and the fight for positions.
The traditional good rugby havens of Epping Boys and Marist Eastwood seem to have changed course with rugby no longer a focus, unfortunately.

Subbiesgoat

Frank Row (1)
Yeah a bit rough on Epping.

We fought all pre season to be in Div 2, but there came a point we just accepted it and after doing a fair bit of planning (including marrying up games for split venues) we stayed. As stated, the drop has had some effect on our numbers, particularly at the top end (we lost close to a whole first grade pack in a team who already ran near the bottom in all grades). And some weeks are hard… last week we had nowhere near enough for four grades but we didn’t wanna let Newport down on their ladies day, so we had one squad who agreed to play two games against a 3rd grade side who would beat most Div4 clubs top side.

Our aim is to 100% be back in Div 3/2 next year, but we won’t fight it. If Subbies wants us as a Div 4 club as we can’t guarantee colts then we will leave it to them.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If Subbies wants us as a Div 4 club as we can’t guarantee colts then we will leave it to them.

I also look at Sydney Harlequins whose admission into Div 3 originally relied on using Easts 4th Colts team, and continues to do so. This is the kind of flexible thinking the competition needs, IMHO. The break between club-school-club makes player retention tough.

It is a shame more clubs in Div 4 can't field a third grade side, but that is a result of numbers dwindling everywhere. Subbies hasn't had a full 6 divisions for years.

Competitions outside Sydney grade clubs into fixed divisions to fit the landscape better. e.g. Wagga has clubs filling every slot in the Riverina comp, but smaller towns can only get a Third Grade side together. Nightmare to plan for as an administrator, but practical in its approach.

The situation this year is a result of 2 years of Covid. Hopefully a return to something like "normal" can be the 2023 season, and stabilise us back to 8 clubs per division.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Can't think it would change much. Seems like Eastwood have a steady flow of Oakhill boys into the clubs Colts as well as always having strong higher grades will attract good footballers.

Is European Summer going to further decimate some clubs player numbers? Job Keeper is funding A LOT of Contiki tours this year.

Cue the Subbies Board burying their heads and attending as many lunches as possible and then say how resilient they have been through tough times and look forward to working with clubs moving forward into a bigger and better 2023.

xoxo Rae Rae

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Saw on the news last night that La Nina weather system is done for now. Hopefully everyone can catch up any remaining games by next wet weather weekend and the season can finish without further major disruption.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 2

BOBs vs Beecroft: a much improved effort from Beecroft last week will give them confidence to topple Barker however I think BOBs will be too drilled and will win by 7
Hills vs Lindfield: Another interesting game which should prove a tight tussle. Old Soldier to stay with Hills for 60 minutes before losing by 14.
UNSW vs Newport: A tough away ficture for the Breakers but think they will have too much class out wide for the students. Newport by 10
HV vs Quinns: Tough away assignment for the boys from the east. HV will be too classy for Harlequins and win well by 24+
Iggies vs Blacktown: Fresh off a bye Iggies wont waste the chance to register a rare win and will go for the throat of a suffering Blacktown. 14+

qwerty123

Stan Wickham (3)
Div 2

BOBs vs Beecroft: a much improved effort from Beecroft last week will give them confidence to topple Barker however I think BOBs will be too drilled and will win by 7
Hills vs Lindfield: Another interesting game which should prove a tight tussle. Old Soldier to stay with Hills for 60 minutes before losing by 14.
UNSW vs Newport: A tough away ficture for the Breakers but think they will have too much class out wide for the students. Newport by 10
HV vs Quinns: Tough away assignment for the boys from the east. HV will be too classy for Harlequins and win well by 24+
Iggies vs Blacktown: Fresh off a bye Iggies wont waste the chance to register a rare win and will go for the throat of a suffering Blacktown. 14+
I think you're pretty bang on here. Interesting matches are the Hills v Linfield and UNSW v Newport. I too see a tight match in Hills, with Linfield just getting out toughed towards the end. UNSW Newport is either going to be a close battle or Newport will romp it in, just depends which UNSW team turns up. Im backing BOBs HV and Iggies to all win by 20+

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Player registrations issue again. I’m not sure changing the spelling of a first name is going to hide the fact that a player is registered for another club.
Ignorance is no longer a suitable excuse.

The Wombat

Herbert Moran (7)
Knox vs HH
Knox started the season off with some close losses but the wheels seem to be falling off as the season progresses. Should go down a division to rebuild. HH by 20

Petersham vs St Pats
Should be a good game. Both sides are solid and have shown they can hang with the heavy weights. Petersham by 3

Drummoyne vs Mosman
An unusually tough season for the Dirty Reds. Mosman were impressive last week and would’ve beaten colleagues by nailing the conversion after the whistle. Mosman by 14

Colleagues vs Waverley
Top of the table clash. Waverley have a strong pack but Colleagues have shown more composure and structure over the season. Colleagues to remain undefeated.

Forest vs Blue Mountains
Both sides seem to play much better at home. Really poor game last week from Forest so tipping the Mountain Goats by 17

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
It could be a tough trip to Valley for us this week. Numbers are a little light and we have had to forfeit our 3rd grade match. Hopefully we can return to our early season form and match them.

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
DIVISION 2 ROUND 8

BOBS v Beecroft

After finally being able to train consistently, things are starting to come together at Beecroft. I have faith we’ll jag our first win this Saturday. Beecroft by 3

Hills v Lindfield

This will be a fantastic day of rugby across the grades. I agree with heavyd and his assessment of the game. Hills to run away late.

UNSW v Newport

Don’t really rate UNSW to be honest, I think Newport dispose of them by 20 and keep on rolling.

HV v Quinn’s

Long trip home for the Waterloo boys unfortunately, plenty of beers will help though. Valley by 30

Iggies v Blacktown

Yawn… Iggies win well. Blacktown also now gone from 3rd grade.

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Geez not a great week for lower grade footy. Only two games running this week in 3rd grade. Hopefully this is a one off issue.

C.Dark

Bob McCowan (2)
Div 4 tips from the station

northern saints v Canterbury
Taints at home in a physical battle here with the berrys, taints to grind out a win 14-5

redfield old boys v Sydney harbour
A long way from smashed avo on toast for the oyster men but does it really matter?, oysters win 24-12

hawkesbury ag v Mac uni
Mac Uni too big and too flash for the lads on the river, if they can keep their cool and control field position I reckon their backs will fly, Mac uni win 33-7

Chatswood v manly savers
Crack out the almond milk Frappuccino’s the shavers by a big bit, 45-5

merrylands v renegades
I feel something cooking out there at mouse hill, watch them gain momentum heading into the back half of the season, but us blokes from the land of merry to hold them out here in a tough encounter
Merrylands win 12-7

Epping v western raptors
Epping returning to their home ground for the first time this year should give them a bit more curry in their collars however there’s rumoured to be some unhappy lambs due to captaincy selections as seen publicly on social media but I think the local crowd will get them home, Epping lambs win 21-13

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Merrylands win 12-7

The Wolves are travelling well - couple of close wins against top 6 and a close loss to Epping. Harbour got away a little.

Big win for the 2s against Eaysters and you'd probably chalk up the deferred Saints game for 5 points, looking at how they're travelling right now.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
DIVISION 2 ROUND 8

BOBS v Beecroft

After finally being able to train consistently, things are starting to come together at Beecroft. I have faith we’ll jag our first win this Saturday. Beecroft by 3

Hills v Lindfield

This will be a fantastic day of rugby across the grades. I agree with heavyd and his assessment of the game. Hills to run away late.

UNSW v Newport

Don’t really rate UNSW to be honest, I think Newport dispose of them by 20 and keep on rolling.

HV v Quinn’s

Long trip home for the Waterloo boys unfortunately, plenty of beers will help though. Valley by 30

Iggies v Blacktown

Yawn… Iggies win well. Blacktown also now gone from 3rd grade.
My spies in the Epping camp say Beecroft out of 3s this week as well.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
^ Confirmed https://rugbyresults.fusesport.com/game.asp?gameid=242556&compid=1342247&seasonid=989

1656055110064.png