• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

The Waverley Walrus

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree champion it is not fair that they keep doing this to other clubs and still stay in the finals race for colts. If they don’t get disqualified from the competition then I really don’t know what subbies is thinking
If the subbies administration had any backbone they’d throw them out of all comps for the remainder of the year. They’ll get a slap on the wrists and get a 10th lifeline in div2 next year. Should be sent to div 3/4 like brothers were a few years back. The club is rabble.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I have heard they are headed for Div 4 next year. It might have just been speculation. Of course, everyone will be unhappy if they are too good for Div 4.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It might have just been speculation.

Speculation? In Subbies land? In **this** thread?

giphy.gif

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Only game of relevance in DIv 2 is the Breakers vs HV clash.

UNSW will destroy Briars with a bonus point and can force themselves into a top 2 position where they get the week off and then they can run their 1sts around in 4th grade next week.

HV need to win or come away with 2 bonus points to secure a week off, Newport need to win or come away with 1 bonus point to secure the week off.

With fine weather forecast it will be the biggest crowd seen in years for subbies. Get there for some first class footy with all games going to go to the wire.

BJT

Frank Nicholson (4)
Not my place to discuss this one. Best to leave this be.

Results went as they should over the weekend in Div 1. Interesting to see Waverley could only put up 28 points against a depleted Knox side. Would be happy to keep a clean sheet though. Waverley may be the ones taking home Kentwell. So big
Since the coach just got effectively an 18 month ban, perhaps not just best to leave this be.

The Burke

Stan Wickham (3)
Just a query on the Knox situation. Where does Colts sit in regards to forfeiting 1st Grade. I thought that if a club forfeited 1st grade, then all grades below are taking to be a forfeit regardless of if they were played or not. Is there a different rule because it is colts?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Just a query on the Knox situation. Where does Colts sit in regards to forfeiting 1st Grade. I thought that if a club forfeited 1st grade, then all grades below are taking to be a forfeit regardless of if they were played or not. Is there a different rule because it is colts?

Subbies Ops Manual, Section 9:

1660906888550.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Grose Cup: Merrylands drew away from Chatswood after an early tussle.

Turned up just as Redfield v Savers was getting underway. Redfield three tries before Savers could get their hands on the pill. Final result reflected a competitive second half.

McLean Cup: Redfield currently pounding Merrylands 27-0 but I'm watching Jeffrey Cup at the moment where Menai lead Irish 26-19 with about 10 to go.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Got to Boronia today as well to watch the home team get up in Third Grade. They got close wins in 2nd and 1st Grade as well so good day for them with the sponsors on the sideline and one gent running out for his 400th in Thirds.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
McClean Cup - Epping beat Mac Uni but not as convincing as I thought it would be. Good pressure from the Beacons combined with some nervy handling from the Rams provided a stop-start first half. A couple of individual efforts from Epping 10 off the back of field position gave them ascendancy and they managed to keep the students out right until the end.

Five clubs left in Fourth Division:
Sydney Harbour
Manly Savers
Epping
Redfield
Merrylands

(Well I guess it is 6 if you count Eaysters ;) )

Next week:
GROSE CUP
Epping (1) v Redfield (5)
Harbour (2) v Merrylands (3)

McLEAN CUP
Harbour (1) v Redfield (4)
Savers (2) v Epping (3)

Subbiesgoat

Frank Row (1)
McClean Cup - Epping beat Mac Uni but not as convincing as I thought it would be. Good pressure from the Beacons combined with some nervy handling from the Rams provided a stop-start first half. A couple of individual efforts from Epping 10 off the back of field position gave them ascendancy and they managed to keep the students out right until the end.

I think if Uni had the team on the field they had last night, they would of won a lot more games.

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Quinns finish the year in 1s with a win over Blacktown 62-5. Neither team was at their strongest and Blacktown had a go but it is obviously tough times for them and we called it with just under 20 minutes to go. However someone may need to call the judiciary as Janos broke the front rowers union code by scoring a 60m intercept try hahaha.

In 2s we go through. If Beecroft won yesterday we would have had to replay that game midweek, but that is now not going ahead. We play Newport who will be a tough game. If we had Valley or Hills I think we would of been okay, and even a big chance against Lindfield, but Newport will be tough.

Eastcoast

Ted Fahey (11)
I think if Uni had the team on the field they had last night, they would of won a lot more games.
Interested about this one - Are you saying they played players who didnt play in the regular season? Or just finally got their best team on the field for the finals?
I watched a few of the 1st Grade finals last night
Menai look very good although was a good contest with Irish. Wakehurst game didnt rate defence.
Mac Uni looked massive and were flying into tackles but appeared to run out of gas late in the game.

Eastcoast

Ted Fahey (11)
But the highlight of the weekend was the win on Saturday at Boronia! Missing 2 of our best players and still knock off Colleagues. Not sure if they were done on personnel as well. But great day to walk away with 1's 2's and 3's. Hasnt Kentwell been turned on its head.
Petersham knocked off Waverley
Drummoyne are flying at the right end of the season
St Pats did what they do best and lose a tight one.

En Gage

Frank Nicholson (4)
Interested about this one - Are you saying they played players who didnt play in the regular season? Or just finally got their best team on the field for the finals?
I watched a few of the 1st Grade finals last night
Menai look very good although was a good contest with Irish. Wakehurst game didnt rate defence.
Mac Uni looked massive and were flying into tackles but appeared to run out of gas late in the game.
I think if Uni had the team on the field they had last night, they would of won a lot more games
From what I could see on the coverage the Mac Uni winger looked like a real danger man. Not surprising given a quick google search showed someone with the same name appears fairly regularly on the Emu's first grade team sheets.

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting week ahead in Div 1!

Will Knox give Mosman a week off before finals? (My guess is yes).

In Kentwell it looks as though the Top 6 is just about set. There is the possibility of some movement if Petersham can upset Hunters Hill - anything is possible after their very unexpected win over Waverley. Similarly, if Drummoyne can knock off Colleagues at Woollahra it would put a bit of pressure on St Pat’s who would then need to beat the unpredictable Blue Mountains to lock in their spot.

It’s strange St Pat’s are still in the hunt after only winning 4 game all year!? Both Petersham and Drummoyne have won more games but haven’t amassed the 12 bonus points that St Pat’s have! St Pat’s are proving to be good at scoring 4 tries and then losing by less than 7.

Looks like there is a fair chance Hunters Hill and Petersham will be playing each other two weeks in a row. Never a fun predicament.

If the rumours are true it’ll be a big weekend for Drummoyne, Petersham and Forest as they all flirt with the dangerous 9th place on the Club Championship and relegation. I wouldn’t be surprised if each of them were on the receiving end of a clean sweep as they take on Waverley, Colleagues and Hunters Hill respectively. Adios Petersham if that is the case!