• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Uni

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
They look impressive full strength.

1. Tilse
2. Charles
3. Ryan
4. Mumm
5. Caldwell
6. Dennis
7. Waugh
8. McCutcheon
9. Burgess
10. Halangahu
11. Lachie Mitchell (Turner + Mitchell???)
12. Barnes
13. Carter
14. Nathan Trist
15. Josh Dillon

Pack looks impressive, good inside backs as well, outside backs not great...

But eastwood get the award for best front row (from one of the games last year)

TH: Robinson
HK: Dunning
LH: Alexander

ouch.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
rugbywhisperer said:
Doesnt Lachie Turner play for the woods???

yeah, this is some other kid

Lachie Mitchell (uni winger) = Lachie Turner + Drew Mitchell?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
There's a few other professional players who should come into the mix:

Jerry Yanuyanutawa. Laurie Weeks, Al Campbell, Dan Vickerman, Ben McCalman, Tim Davidson, Mitch Inman, Alfie Mafi and Julian Huxley.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Someone fill a youngen in: were Randwick ever this good? I've heard they were the Uni of the 80's, but did they ever assemble an arsenal like this?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Randwick in their golden years had considerably more international and even world class players. Uni's big claim to fame is that 19 of the professional players listed above played with Uni straight after leaving school, thus coming through the Uni Colts system.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The abovementioned Uni team would have too many players points and wouldn't make it onto the paddock. That's why the points system was brought in.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
1. Tilse/Jerry Y
2. Charles
3. Weeks/Ryan
4. Mumm/Campbell
5. Vickerman/Caldwell
6. Dennis/McCalman
7. Waugh/Davidson
8. McCutcheon
9. Burgess
10. Halangahu
11. Mafi
12. Barnes
13. Inman/Carter
14. Lachlan Mitchell
15. Huxley

With this points system it by the looks of things is forcing more players to be pushed into the grade scene earlier Tom Kingston at Uni, Scott Sio Wests etc(there are at least 30 out there).

Won't be able to make that claim soon Bruce ;) just the nature of the system I suppose & the desire of the Waratahs to see Junior Waratahs playing grade.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Bruce you forgot Luke Jones as well.

Bruce I notice Laurie Weeks is playing for Uni in the Brisbane Comp this weekend? What's he planning to do?

When's he planning to turn up to University No.1?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
DPK said:
Someone fill a youngen in: were Randwick ever this good? I've heard they were the Uni of the 80's, but did they ever assemble an arsenal like this?

The 1966 Randwick team was pretty special. Eastwood managed to get through to the first grade grand final for the first time, and gave them a good contest, but could not really compete in the end.

Apart from the great Ken Catchpole, the Randwick backs that day included John Brass, Phil Smith, Denis O'Callaghan (not famous, but made the Wallabies), Tony Moore (merely a State rep), George Reubner (from memory, played reserve grade, but came on in the final because of injury) and Australian sprint champion Bobby Lay. The forwards were also pretty strong, Peter Johnson, the Outterside Brothers, John Weber, and Ted Heinrich. Phil Hawthorne appeared the next year for a season!

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
AussieDominance said:
Bruce you forgot Luke Jones as well.

Bruce I notice Laurie Weeks is playing for Uni in the Brisbane Comp this weekend? What's he planning to do?

When's he planning to turn up to University No.1?

I did indeed forget the lad. With regard to Laurie my mail is that he was not keen to play for UQ and wanted to come back to play for SU but I think the Reds might have insisted on him playing in the local comp as a payback for him signing for the Rebels. If I'm any judge I don't think anyone is going to see much of him in club rugby from here on.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
At one time in the 80s Randwick had all 3 Ellas and Campo - that alone was pretty scary. Add in players like Poido, Knox, Lloyd Walker, Eddie Jones and they were pretty handy. I'm sure there were others, but my memory is sketchy at the moment.

R

rugbywhisperer

didn't Tony Daly also play for the wicks - all aussie front row.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
cyclopath said:
At one time in the 80s Randwick had all 3 Ellas and Campo - that alone was pretty scary. Add in players like Poido, Knox, Lloyd Walker, Eddie Jones and they were pretty handy. I'm sure there were others, but my memory is sketchy at the moment.

I am sketchy on the forwards but at one game at Millner Field, there was Eddie Jones at 2, Poidevin at 6, and I seem to remember their backline being

9. Brad Burke
10. Mark Ella
11. Matt Burke
12. Lloyd Walker
13. Gary Ella
14. David Campese
15. Glen Ella

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
didn't Tony Daly also play for the wicks...

For a moment, that is after Wests, Gordon and Easts and before Brothers, Saracens and Manly. His old man told me one day "Tony had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus"! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lindommer said:
rugbywhisperer said:
didn't Tony Daly also play for the wicks...

For a moment, that is after Wests, Gordon and Easts and before Brothers, Saracens and Manly. His old man told me one day "Tony had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus"! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I heard a joke like that, partly borrowed from 30 Rock, about a soccer player who had a lot of teams around Sydney but was known to skip the game if the surf was good...

"He's got more clubs than Tiger, but he spends so much time in the sand his nickname should be Fallujah"

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
runsonrum said:
cyclopath said:

I am sketchy on the forwards but at one game at Millner Field, there was Eddie Jones at 2, Poidevin at 6.

They had another very under-rated, but very effective backrower in Gavin Boneham. He was much taller than the average breakaway in those days, which gave them a huge lineout advantage.

Gavin is our optometrist!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
runsonrum said:
cyclopath said:

I am sketchy on the forwards but at one game at Millner Field, there was Eddie Jones at 2, Poidevin at 6, and I seem to remember their backline being

9. Brad Burke
10. Mark Ella
11. Matt Burke
12. Lloyd Walker
13. Gary Ella
14. David Campese
15. Glen Ella

That is the most awesome backline that ever has and ever will play club rugby. That was the backline that showed me how rugby should be played. When I compare what I used to see then and what the Waratahs regularly dish up now, people might understand why I am so critical. Uni today dominates and we all bemoan the fact; but then it just seemed like the natural order of things. Randwick would regularly win by plenty on 30-40% possession. And today you would say that was impossible.

So Uni dominates today but this will change sooner or later. Even the perfect backline grows old and dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.