• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

T20WC 2022 - Australia

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd say we're no chance of winning this tournament. Twelve months on from the last T20WC we've got essentially the same squad playing the same game plan and other teams are doing it better than we are.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd say we're no chance of winning this tournament. Twelve months on from the last T20WC we've got essentially the same squad playing the same game plan and other teams are doing it better than we are.

I hope you're right & someone like Pakistan or England put you out 'cos there's a history of NZ beating your blokes in the round robin only to meet them again in the knockout stage & getting absolutely flogged.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
lzez3R3.jpg

It's true, we suck.

Way it's panning out now, the tournament is becoming a damp squib also. OK, it's La Niña three years in a row but: maybe some contingency washout replays in the schedule?

Last edited:

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Sri Lanka are like the West Indies; well past their best.

In T20 they have a puncher's chance, but they'd probably take a washout

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ 10/13 complrted T20I this year so perhaps I shouldn't be quite so pessimistic. Must be all those years of them being chocolate soldiers in white ball cricket.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry about that @The_Brown_Hornet we tried really hard but, y'know...

Aus will surely beat Afghanistan by enough to finish with a positive NRR* & 7 points. NZ should beat Ireland to also finish with 7 & a NRR in the +2 to +3 range.

So you're now relying on SL to punt the Poms which isn't out of the question but SL are a bit hit & miss these days so who knows.

* Edit: from a NZ pov this doesn't matter: Aus likely aren't going from -0.3 to +3.5 or better so for us it's all about SL NOT beating England: per my earlier post we don't want to be playing Aus in a Final in Aus. Eng, Ind or SA we can beat on our day (not so sure about two of them back to back, but).

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ bt Ireland by 35 (185/6 v 150/9) to finish with 7 points & NRR of +2.113. Can't see both England (NRR +0.547) & Australia (-0.304) winning by enough to overtake so quietly confident of a SF, probably v SA unless England smash SL in which case likely India. Yikes.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Has Australia ever not made the SF of a World Cup before?

SA lost to Netherlands (!!!) so whilst temporary second in Pool B the winner of Pakistan v Bangladesh will go through to SF. If Pakistan they'll finish top & play England with NZ getting India; if Bangladesh they'll finish second & play NZ with India getting England. I'm very much hoping for the latter, our record v Bangladesh is way better than v India.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Correction: India will finish top of Group 2 by beating Zimbabwe in which case SF are NZ v Pakistan & India v England. I'm marginally more confident of NZ beating Pakistan than India.