• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tactics for the Trinations Final in Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
This thread may go nowhere and it might not come up with anything new. What I am interested in is what the forum members think will be the game plans for each team.
Obviously the Wallabies will not have the same tactics as they employed at Eden Park. We also have a reasonably different line up.
Similarly, the All Blacks have a different line up and are travelling and had a loss in SA.
This is a big game for both teams. The WC squads are announced so there is an element of permanence now to selections. Individual brilliance will hopefully take a back seat to well structured teamwork.
I do not believe that either team will try and fox the other in order to gain an advantage in the WC. Given the fluidity of circumstances – there are no guarantees that either team will make the WC final - each team would be mad not to play at 100% for what is on offer on Saturday night.
Finally, we Aussies are going to struggle to not draw parallels with the S15 final and the obviously successful tactics employed by the Reds. There are a few similarities (Brisbane decider etc) but it would be an over simplification by forum members to state that the tactics should be the same as the Reds tactics. And, I’ll say it upfront; “score more points” is not a worthwhile response.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think the ABs will stick largely to what has worked repeatedly against the Wallabies - hammer the breakdown, aggressive defence, solid set-piece. Why would they change? The Wallabies have to attack the breakdown, and smarten their attack. If the ABs do as they did previously, the Wallabies should pick and go in close and force them to change the defensive alignment. Smarter kicks behind the flat defence might help too.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think the ABs will stick largely to what has worked repeatedly against the Wallabies - hammer the breakdown, aggressive defence, solid set-piece. Why would they change? The Wallabies have to attack the breakdown, and smarten their attack. If the ABs do as they did previously, the Wallabies should pick and go in close and force them to change the defensive alignment. Smarter kicks behind the flat defence might help too.

I suspect we will try and do exactly what the ABs do, but we may kick the ball for field position more than in the first game. As you say, some attacking short kicks will also help turn the ABs attack around. It is exactly what the ABs did to us in the first 30 last time around.

We may also look to attack their line out more.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the Wallabies need to try and attack the ABs lineout. I think this is the one area of set piece where we have an advantage. With a much more physical lineup, the Wallabies will want to be far more competitive at the breakdown and in contact.

Aside from that, I don't think either team will deviate much from previous games. Both teams will be very hungry for the win. The ABs will not want to lose their last two matches heading into the RWC and Australia will be desperate to win some silverware and continue their momentum from winning in Durban with another win heading into the RWC.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I "hope" the Wallabies play more direct. Plenty of pick n drives to stop the ABs spreading out, before going wide. When they go wide, they need inside attack line runners to stop the ABs backs from drifting

I also hope they simplify their breakdown work and work to move the ball away for contact quickly (reds mode)

D

daz

Please push up and rush the attacking ball carrier at the breakdown when defending between the 22's. Do not give them time to gain go-forward ball, as well as placing the first receiver under enormous pressure. Yes, just like the Darkness did to you, Genia and QC (Quade Cooper).

Lead the charge and show your team-mates how it is done, Ant.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)

But then I don't think the ABs attacked the breakdown quite as aggressively at Eden Park as they have in previous matches, in terms of numbers. They were happy to leave 13 guys in the defensive line most of the time. Hence the pick and drive worked well for us late in that game, so I'd like to see more of that. As opposed to attempting run through or around the whole team off neutral ball.

And I'm keen to see the Kiwi midfield snuffed out by the McCabe-Fainga'a axis.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The Wallabies will kick to the corners alot and try and build pressure at the lineout. Other than that they will just aim to muscle up at the breakdown and force errors, with the aim of counter attacking off turnover ball.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
But then I don't think the ABs attacked the breakdown quite as aggressively at Eden Park as they have in previous matches, in terms of numbers. They were happy to leave 13 guys in the defensive line most of the time. Hence the pick and drive worked well for us late in that game, so I'd like to see more of that. As opposed to attempting run through or around the whole team off neutral ball.

And I'm keen to see the Kiwi midfield snuffed out by the McCabe-Fainga'a axis.

True, it was more that they very easily picked off our one-off runners when they could. They are intelligently selective! :)
I too look forward to McCabe / Fainga'a, though less as an attacking weapon.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think that thesedays we try and overcomplicate the game.

Come up hard and fast as one in D

Win all your own ball from set pieces.

Put as much pressure on the opposition when it's not your feed or throw.

If they are coming up fast in D (mind you they did it really well) soak it up with some picking and driving.

No inside balls if their D is good.

Win.

Easy.

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
Genia needs to show more patience before passing the ball out to Quade. No point in giving the ball to the backs if they haven't committed many AB's to the ruck. OZ are usually really strong in exploiting overlaps but you have to create one first.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
True, it was more that they very easily picked off our one-off runners when they could. They are intelligently selective! :)
I too look forward to McCabe / Fainga'a, though less as an attacking weapon.

I don't know Cyc. They could be fine attacking weapons through their solid defence. A good hit behind the advantage line could be just what is needed for Beale and Cooper.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
ABs will not repeat their approach of Saturday night, when they went wide too early and didn't build a strong platform. We will be looking to ensure we hit the breakdowns hard but don't over-commit men, otherwise we will see a repeat of Eden Park and not much opportunity for the backs. I expect (okay, I hope) that our pigs will be more organized and work more effectively together to secure ball and carry driving runs forward.

One thing's for sure, it'll be a cracking game and very different to either of the encounters in RSA.

F

Fredfreduels

I think a game plan is not necessary. My belief is that the key to success is to play what is in front of you.

D

daz

A good hit behind the advantage line could be just what is needed for Beale and Cooper.

Is JOC (James O'Connor) playing for the Darkness this weekend? Wow, the things he will do to square up from Paris.....

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Normally I would say - let JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) score a couple of tries from individual brilliance. But we're down a man in that department.

Stuffed if I know. Compete at the breakdown? It's just crazy enough to work!

Status
Not open for further replies.