• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tah Legends agrees with Cooper "NSW, they really are a boring lot"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NOTED baiter Simon Poidevin says Reds rugby is finally out of ''rehab'' and ready to jolt the NSW Waratahs in Friday night's interstate showdown.

But the most unexpected of endorsements from one of the greatest flankers to play for NSW stopped short of predicting a Queensland upset at the Sydney Football Stadium.

''It's my view that to win Super 14 you have to attack, and NSW are basically risking a successful season with the conservative way they are playing,'' the 59-Test legend said.

Poidevin's snipe followed Reds flyhalf Quade Cooper taking his own shot at the ''simple, boring style'' the Waratahs had employed to be undefeated after three rounds.

Former Wallaby coach Eddie Jones took his swipe recently: ''The Waratahs have been a pragmatic team that seems intent on respectability rather than greatness.''

Poidevin pilloried the 2008 Reds as reminding him of the ''motley crew of the Flying Dutchman from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie'', so often were they submerged.

''The Reds were almost last going into the 2008 interstate game and still gave NSW a shock,'' Poidevin said.

''They are now attacking like they can beat anyone and the history of interstate rugby for 40 years is that Queensland will always lift monumentally in defence for these games.

''I'm a great admirer of coach Phil Mooney. It's refreshing to see Queensland playing such an expansive game after that decade of repression under (1990s coach) John Connolly. I hope the Waratahs take the hint.

''The Reds are out of rehab after years in the doldrums.''

New Waratahs coach Chris Hickey has been attacked in Sydney for his recent remarks that ''winning ugly'' was fine after a one-try, 11-7 decision over the Waikato Chiefs.

''I just can't accept that,'' Poidevin said. ''It does matter how you win when you are in a fight to the death with other footy codes in the most competitive market in the world.''

Talking up their willingness to attack is one thing, being able to earn chances to show it by matching the set-piece consistency of the Waratahs in scrums and lineouts is another altogether.

The Waratahs have stepped up to cover the loss of world-class forwards Rocky Elsom and Dan Vickerman with great character whereas Reds teams of the recent past have moaned and flopped when hit by the same drain of top stars.

Reds forwards coach Mark Bell is adamant the pack has the starch to give the elusive Cooper, Berrick Barnes and co. their chances to win it.

''With Hugh McMeniman back in our lineout, we'll definitely stand up there and we're making the tweaks we need to our scrum,'' Bell said.

McMeniman's 80-minute effort in the heat against the Cheetahs last weekend shook off any lay-off rust and he is eager to taste interstate success for the first time.

Sagerian

Allen Oxlade (6)
Lets see... Conservative play... 3 games played, 3 wins.. 2 of those wins with max points. Interesting.

Now the Reds, have 1 win, 0 with max points (and they really should have), they play an expansive game and chance their arm out wide, risky, "entertaining" stuff... There was another team that plays like that. I think they're called the Highlanders. Anyone? Just off the top of their head remember how that worked out for them?

-EDIT-

I'm really loving the false sense of security beating the cheetahs without even a bonus point has given the reds. Tahs by 20+

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sagerian said:
Lets see... Conservative play... 3 games played, 3 wins.. 2 of those wins with max points. Interesting.

Now the Reds, have 1 win, 0 with max points (and they really should have), they play an expansive game and chance their arm out wide, risky, "entertaining" stuff... There was another team that plays like that. I think they're called the Highlanders. Anyone? Just off the top of their head remember how that worked out for them?

you should take that up with Poido.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If I had the choice of playing badly and winning, and playing "well" and losing.

I would take the former every time.

You build momentum in the S14, first by getting your set piece and defence organised and then worry about your attack.

Most winning sides play with less width early in the comp and build.

It is only week 4 in the comp, not week 13.

Sagerian

Allen Oxlade (6)
Noddy said:
Sagerian said:

you should take that up with Poido.

If he's there this Friday I most certainly will. I used to pick on Budha Handy til he stopped making the trip.

The success of the Crusaders I think spoiled a lot of people. Their counter-attack looked great, but wouldn't have been nearly as good if it wasn't for the staunch defense and counter-rucking. The Tahs have that counter-rucking and the defense working, and in 2 of the 3 games, have put up a fair chunk of points because of it with minimal possession.

Like fatprop said, it's week 4, we're building to something here.

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sagerian said:
it's week 4, we're building to something here.

building to what......another sudden disintegration of hype and expectations of a championship-winning season by all the lathered-up Waratugger supporters? ;) It happens every year......how fu#kin good they are, and how they will win the title. Yet, somehow, the Tuggers find a way to grind to a halt somewhere along the line. :lmao:

Actually, I think the Reds might even be up for this one, which is more than I can say for several previous QLD sides for a Reds-Tuggers clash. Reds by 7.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Red Bull said:
Sagerian said:

building to what......another sudden disintegration of hype and expectations of a championship-winning season by all the lathered-up Waratugger supporters? ;) It happens every year......how fu#kin good they are, and how they will win the title. Yet, somehow, the Tuggers find a way to grind to a halt somewhere along the line. :lmao:

Actually, I think the Reds might even be up for this one, which is more than I can say for several previous QLD sides for a Reds-Tuggers clash. Reds by 7.

Nah, I haven't thought the Tahs have been good enough to win the S14 - ever. We may have been a chance this year if we had a full compliment of props and Elsom and Vickerman. As it is, I expect our tight forwards to get injured as they are not being managed well enough. (too much game time for the props because of the babies in back up)

Will the Tahs win this week? They should, but it will be close, the Reds make too many mistakes to build pressure.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Welcome back, RB. Where've you been?

Not the best time to show your face, surely. Better to wait and see, then turn up all triumphant on Monday. Oh, I see the problem with that ...

Sagerian

Allen Oxlade (6)
Red Bull said:
Sagerian said:

Meh, I'm a realistic Tahs supporter, even a semi-final bound team doesn't get me overly hopeful. Too many lessons learned in the past. :) Having said that, at least as a tahs supporter my expectations aren't dashed by week 5 unlike some other teams.

As I said earlier, loving the false sense of security a 3 try "romp" of the cheetahs has given the Reds. Man this'll be some kind of sweet. :lmao:

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
Scarfman said:

Not the best time to show your face, surely. Better to wait and see, then turn up all triumphant on Monday. Oh, I see the problem with that ...

Hello Scarfie, good to be back mate. Just been getting caught up with my own sh!tty life, which involves night shift work, and hence, very little opportunity to post my useless rantings on forums such as this ;)

You are probably right about the timing, however, none of you blokes would appreciate a lost Reds fan bumbling back on here crowing about a famous victory, so thought I better get a one-eyed prediction in prior to the actual event! :thumb

Then again, I have managed to get my work shift re-arranged on Friday just so I can witness the biggie. That in itself probably ensures the Reds will fold like the twins towers. :p

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
Red Bull said:
Scarfman said:

Hello Scarfie, good to be back mate. Just been getting caught up with my own sh!tty life, which involves night shift work, and hence, very little opportunity to post my useless rantings on forums such as this ;)

You are probably right about the timing, however, none of you blokes would appreciate a lost Reds fan bumbling back on here crowing about a famous victory, so thought I better get a one-eyed prediction in prior to the actual event! :thumb

Then again, I have managed to get my work shift re-arranged on Friday just so I can witness the biggie. That in itself probably ensures the Reds will fold like the twins towers. :p

What a great time to jump back on board RB, good to have you back.
Even as a dirty kiwi im looking forward to this game...simply want as many of you aussies hurt and maimed as possible... :thumb

H

hi-jinks

Every so often Poido's mind wanders.
What he meant to say is: The reds would struggle to beat Randwick.

F

formeropenside

hi-jinks said:

Yeah, it was pretty funny him talking about the "decade of repression" in which Queensland won 3 Super titles, were probably the best provincial side in the world, and regularly beat NSW by a wide margin.

During which time NSW...well, they did show up, and they looked like they were trying. I have to give them that much.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
hi-jinks said:

Norths beat Randwick last week. Perennial strugglers Norths, the long time laughing stock of QLD Rugby, beat the glory boys of Sydney Rugby. Nice

H

hi-jinks

Imagine being a laughing stock of QLD rugby.
That's like patients of Rozelle Hospital sledging patients of Gladesville Hospital.

F

formeropenside

hi-jinks said:
That's like patients of Rozelle Hospital sledging patients of Gladesville Hospital.

or arguing on an internet forum

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
hi-jinks said:

Or, apparently, being the laughing stock of Queensland rugby is better than the glory boys of NSW rugby.

This could go on all day...

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
en_force_er said:
As an outside I am enjoying this, do keep going!

The quality of the sledging this year, on this board and elsewhere, is very low indeed.

That low quality comes from very typical Tahs' and Tah supporters' playing down to the standards of their opposition. This year, the opposition is abysmal.

Status
Not open for further replies.