• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs v Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
SMH article said:
....the Waratahs - who yesterday named an unchanged 22-man line-up for the second week in a row.......

So will an unchanged 22 also mean an unchanged 15? Will Anesi survive another week? Will Horne get a start? Will Mowen still be on the bench? Does Hickey still need to be taken outside and dealt with?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
the whole dennis/mowen/mumm competing for the same spots thing is good, you could really back whoever they put in at the moment.

Beale getting more game time at fullback is a must really, Anesi is only there for a year anyway, so why were putting him out there and having him do the bear minimum when we could be developing a long term replacement is strange to say the least.

should be a good game, same as Qld last week, could be a danger game for the Tahs, the Force really have nothing to play for but bragging rights so they could aim up and hopefully there new ten looks a little sharper for the run last week.

still, tahs by a few trys for mine.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
2010 Super 14 - Round 6
WESTERN FORCE V HSBC WARATAHS
Saturday 20 March 2010 (Kick-off 7:10pm AWST, 10:10pm AEDT)
Perth Oval

HSBC WARATAHS
15. Sosene Anesi (Eastern Suburbs)
14. Lachie Turner (Eastwood)
13. Tom Carter (Sydney University)
12. Berrick Barnes (Sydney University)
11. Drew Mitchell (Balmain)
10. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University)
9. Luke Burgess (Sydney University)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
7. Phil Waugh [c] (Sydney University)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
4. Dean Mumm (Sydney University)
3. Al Baxter (Northern Suburbs)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
Reserves
16. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood)
17. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
18. Will Caldwell (Sydney University)
19. Ben Mowen (Randwick)
20. Josh Holmes (Warringah)
21. Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs)
22. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good comments fatprop.

The negative for me is the retention of Carter. Sure he can tackle, but his reading of the game defensively at 13, as contrasted with that of his best position of 12, is wanting. Plus we all saw how he made the attack splutter a couple of times on attack against the Lions, of all teams. To his credit he is a diligent chaser of kicks made by team mates - an item of work too often shirked.

If Horne is 100% fit Carter's retention is unaccountable. He may not be and the Tahs may be handling him conservatively. Who knows?

I would have liked to have seen Beale get a full game at fullback just to see how he goes. It's not as though Anesi has been Christian Cullen in his pomp. One change to a settled team should have little consequence.

Barnes had a better game last week but he seemed to be exasperated by Carter once. I don't think he will be with Horne.

That's a bloody good 22. I hope they keep the curve going up and not go back to under performing.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So after five rounds the conclusion seems to be that the Dud is in fact, a dud.

Why did they sigh Roodt? Seems like someone didn't do their homework. If you're signing an o'seas player then surely it is someone with potential to puch for a starting spot? Seems Roodt is not even on the radar?

Anyone have any insides on this?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't think they'd be too worried about him. It was a 2 year contract right? Having not played for a long time I am sure they were prepared for a slow start. I guess they are lucky Douglas has come through however.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Well, we all thought they needed to sign a lock. And after going with Anesi, they had to get a "development" OS player. On the other hand, I would have tried very hard to get the Plank.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah Dud looked the goods on paper as a likely development player and we shouldn't write him off in his first year. He must be injured because he didn't play for the JWs last Sunday.

I thought he had been hired because Caldwell lost 25% of his body weight when he was ill, and was at risk as a healthy player in 2010, but Jowitt was given a contract before Roodt.

The 2nd row is top heavy with the unexpected emergence of Douglas. Had the Tahs thought it would happen he would have got Thompson's S14 rookie contract, but not many folks picked it looking at Douglas when he was 19.

With Caldwell, Mumm, Thomson, Douglas, Jowitt and Roodt available to play lock and Dennis already used there this season - and Coridas, Alcock and now McCutcheon in the stable to succeed Waugh - there is a bit of dead wood in the Tahs squad. As I mentioned in another post: Coridas and Alcock may have been given contracts for the Tahs to satisfy their 2010 rookie contract obligations, and may be discarded. If not, the Tahs have excess requirements in two positions.

Oops, this is the match thread.

Cyril Towers (30)
To be fair to "Dud" he sustained a syndesmosis injury of an ankle and hasn't trained or played in 3 weeks. These injuries (which for some reason seem to becoming very common) can mean anything from a couple of weeks in a moon boot to surgery and 6 months rehab. I think his is at the lower end of the severity scale. We are going to have to gauge how good a buy he was by how he goes in club footy this year and how good an off season he has. Could be the goods in 2011. Ducker Caldwell is still a worry. He has put the weight back on but certainly has not recaptured his form of the last few years and I think he would struggle if he had to play a full 80. Fortunately Douglas has filled in the gap nicely for the moment.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I am predicting a Force upset. I think the Waratah's will be cocky after scoring a billion points against the Lions and the Force will regather and just scrape by them. I'm thinking something like 30-28.

On the point of Dud, it looks like he's just a really tall fat baby faced plank of wood.

H

hatchie

Lee Grant said:
Oops, this is the match thread.

Hahah, don't worry Lee, us Force types aren't in a real hurry to chat about the match. You Tahs mob can talk amongst yourselves....

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Godfrey said:
I am predicting a Force upset. I think the Waratah's will be cocky after scoring a billion points against the Lions and the Force will regather and just scrape by them. I'm thinking something like 30-28.

On the point of Dud, it looks like he's just a really tall fat baby faced plank of wood.

Maybe you're right, but he played SA under 21 and I promise you the competition is fierce. No place for fat baby faced planks of wood.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
To be fair on Dud, he'd been out of the game for a bit and unlike Huxley he hadn't been keeping the fitness up.

He'll probably need about a year to get back into playing form, I'd guess. But that's not really a problem, as people have observed but not noted - he is a development player, both for the Tahs and for Australia.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Force team just announced. Unchanged side from last week except for the reserves. We'll see whether Whittaker can throw straight and true.....

Surely these guys can only improve on last week's performance.

2010 INVESTEC BANK SUPER 14 WEEK SIX

Emirates Western Force v WARATAHS

Saturday, 20 March, 2010

ME Bank Stadium, Perth

Kick-off: 7.10pm AWST

Nic Henderson
Ryan Tyrrell
Tim Fairbrother
Sam Wykes
Nathan Sharpe (c)
Ben McCalman
Matt Hodgson
Richard Stanford
Brett Sheehan
David Hill
Nick Cummins
James O’Connor
Ryan Cross
Scott Staniforth
Dane Haylett-Petty

Reserves

Ben Whittaker
Kieran Longbottom
Tom Hockings
Luke Jones
Chris O’Young
Sam Harris
Mitch Inman

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Nick Cummins really pisses me off because he swings his arms from side to side when he walks, rather than back and forth. It looks weird and stupid. Also he has idiot hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.