• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Awful Truth About The ARU's Financial Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
Apart from rugby, if the kiwis have anything on us it is beer. We are catching slowly but they are still way ahead - monteiths, moa etc.
Scotty you must live north of Victoria. Nz do some great brews like Renaissance, Epic and Emersons but down south the craft scene is flying in Oz. great brews in pubs all around melbourne... You poor bastards up north...

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Scotty you must live north of Victoria. Nz do some great brews like Renaissance, Epic and Emersons but down south the craft scene is flying in Oz. great brews in pubs all around melbourne. You poor bastards up north.

Melbourne has always been ahead with bars and restaurants but it is certainly happening here as well. I still think the kiwis got the jump on all of us though.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
You're right NZ make some cracking brews. Epic and Yeastie Boys are responsible for some of the best I've ever had.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Did the NZRU ever publish a profit / loss on the World Cup?

I don't see 1 Japanese Team - I see 2, or, 1 Japanese, 1 USA Team - possibly based in LA or LV... Hawaii would be the ideal location - but I suspect the crowds would likely not work, there...

There may be one more SA Team in order to dig them out of their hole, and even-up the numbers, but that will be in my opinion, just one more SA Team to protect everyone else from a Wooden Spoon...

The attraction of having Japanese Side/s in Super Rugby, a couple of years before the Japan RWC will translate into some significant $$ for the member Unions.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Ahhh.. i see - almost $13 M NZ Dollars... a bit less than the predicted $20 M - but I certainly don't see Oz being able to host again any time soon...

We ran the 2003 RWC at a good profit - about $35 M- but I understand the IRB Fee is now what? - $20M - plus up-front?

Some are saying 2027... too far off to worry about, for now.

T

TOCC

England have 2015 and Japan has 2019, I expect the IRB will want to return to the European time zone for 2023 so South Africa may be in for a chance there, otherwise Australia does stand a good chance if they actually submit a bid..

England won't bid, Wales, Ireland and Italy are unlikely to have the facilities, New Zealand isn't a very attractive option for the IRB as potential returns are lower.

Argentina is a wildcard option, so too is the USA, both I think are still some time away from been able to submit a realistic bid though..

So ultimately it's likely to come down to Australia, France and South Africa.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
America will not become part of Super Rugby, you heard it here first.

Seriously, the travel would be fucking insane even for a West Coast franchise. 12-13 hours to Australia or New Zealand and even more than that for a South African tour..factor in the fact that the player base (the body is willing but the skills aren't there yet) literally doesn't exist and it just isn't going to happen.

The USA will not be pumping cash into Super Rugby anytime soon, if ever. I'd be surprised if there is any professional 15s competition encapsulating American franchises in the next decade the way the ship is being steered right now. Too many fuck-wits with money but no rugby background, or the rugby CV they do have is filled with drinking teams who had a rugby problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.