• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Cordingley Spite Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Another postive for Burgess is that he'll put his head in a ruck were as Cords Like Gregan wasn't prepared to last night even on the last play of the game he still just stood there & the kiwis only just scrambled that ball out before Horwill arrived.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You guys need to look at that last ruck again. I've seen it three times now, and each time I see Mils come in from the side illegally, knocking Coordingly off the ball and sealing it off, right under Kaplans nose.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Scotty said:
You guys need to look at that last ruck again. I've seen it three times now, and each time I see Mils come in from the side illegally, knocking Coordingly off the ball and sealing it off, right under Kaplans nose.

I dont blame Cords for the last ruck. It was a lack of support for the ball carrier that allowed the turnover regardless of whether Mils came in from the side or was parachuted in.

Cords was slow with his service though and I am another who prefers fast and inaccurate. We had to take an enormous number of one out forward runners on Sat because Cords waited around forever to clear it. A couple of times it was right there, the ABs counter rucked and then it was gone.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
You're right Scotty, and it wasn't the only time by a long way.

The AB definition of countr-rucking is going off your feet and sealing off the ball in numbers. How the fuck they get away with it so often is anyones guess, I figure refs think they'd never stop blowing them up if they pinged for it.

So my question now is - why the fuck aren't we doing it?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I the other that annoys me that they get away with is cleaning guys out that have no involvement in the ruck, an normally pushing them back up to 4-5 metres, creating holes for their runners. Pretty clear obstruction for mine, and they get away with it game in, game out.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
whocares said:
best service from the ruck came in the second half when elsom pushed in front of cordingly and passed an accurate pass as soon as he got there leaving cordingly looking completly lost

Completely disagree. The best sevice all year has been when Benn Robbo has got into the half back position. Good quick service. Give the man the 9 jersey now!!!

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Scotty said:
I the other that annoys me that they get away with is cleaning guys out that have no involvement in the ruck, an normally pushing them back up to 4-5 metres, creating holes for their runners. Pretty clear obstruction for mine, and they get away with it game in, game out.

We have to learn to stop whinging about the reffing and interpretations and play to his decisions. Refs at this level cant get away with being biased and arent out to get the Wallabies. Their decision making is as consistent as anyone else. If the ABs are getting away with it, we should do it too. Then if we get pinged, we ask the ref to look at the ABs doing it as well.

Stretching the rules isnt cheating unless the ref tells you it is. Until then its in the laws of the game as reffed by that ref on that day.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
The AB definition of countr-rucking is going off your feet and sealing off the ball in numbers

Towards the end of the match the AB's would lie all over the ball at any given chance to slow the game down & kaplan did fuck all.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
We have to learn to stop whinging about the reffing and interpretations and play to his decisions. Refs at this level cant get away with being biased and arent out to get the Wallabies. Their decision making is as consistent as anyone else. If the ABs are getting away with it, we should do it too. Then if we get pinged, we ask the ref to look at the ABs doing it as well.

Stretching the rules isnt cheating unless the ref tells you it is. Until then its in the laws of the game as reffed by that ref on that day.

it definitely goes both ways I think we got away with a lot in Durban.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Cutter said:
Scotty said:

You poor naive soul. Let's just look at one facet of play from the game to emphasise how ridiculous the refereeing is.

In the first 2 minutes of Bledisloe 3, Andrew Hore TWICE throws the ball away after the Wallabies win a free kick (0:40 and 1:27). Kaplan does nothing.

Benn Robinson gets pinged and Wallabies marched 10 metres for delaying the release of the ball for a free kick (12:34) which then results in a try. Of course, nobody on here mentioned that as a criticism of Robinson's game (the conspiracy against Naza continues..).

At 16:21, Wallabies get a full arm penalty for offside. McCaw reaches down to Cordingly and knocks the ball out of his hands. Kaplan does nothing.

At 32:41, its the NZ's halfback's turn to throw the ball away after the Wallabies are awarded a free kick. Kaplan does nothing.

At 38:51 we get the scrum feed as the Kiwis knock on. Muliana hears the whistle and decides to snap a field goal. Kaplan does nothing.

63:45 Stephen Moore throws the ball away from NZ free kick and gets marched 10 metres and a 'don't do that again' from Kaplan. What. The. Fuck. Watch the lead up. Kaplan gives the Wallabies no advantage for a NZ knock on at 63:30.

These are FACTS. Explain the consistency in that to me. You can't. There's an obvious double standard in how the All Blacks are refereed and how the Wallabies are treated. It has gotten beyond a joke.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
I agree Naz but i can remember at least two times when Australians kicked the ball away after hearing the whistle for a free kick against them, one by Gits and I think the other by Cords.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If you go over on to TSF you will see where the kiwi posters have highlighted parts of the game where they thought they got a raw deal.

Humans arent rational. Some try to be, but they arent. I have reffed the odd game and when I knew I had made a bad decision (I sometimes knew but by then it was too late), I am sure I subconsciously gave the benefit of the doubt to the other side the next time. Its human nature. Referees will try to fight that instinct but in doing so, they might go the other way too far. Its all subjective. It must really mess with their heads.

You will never get certainty out of rugby or refereeing. That is why I said:

Cutter said:

There are plenty of studies which show irrational and inconsistent decision making by otherwise rational people. Referees do their best but mistakes must be expected.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Cutter - you're right about every ref I'm aware of other than Kaplan. He is a C U Next Tuesday (or "Fluffybunny" for the more sensitive readers).

Yeah, I'm bitter about the weekend, but there is more than a little rationality to it.

As of 2006, here were his stats reffing over the Waratahs:

Waratahs' Super 12/14 winning record
Overall (1996-2006) 67 wins from 126 matches 53%
Under Kaplan (1997-2006) One win from 14 matches 7%
Away under Kaplan (1997-2006) Zero from 11 matches 0%

They couldn't have changed that much since then and I'd love to see the same for the Wallabies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Gagger said:
Virgil said:
And Mortlock?

Very interesting question. I was a "Mortlock is a given" until yesterday.

Cross has stepped into Mortlocks role as strongest runner on the field, and Mortlock's been committing some heinous defensive errors (see his running out of the line for Carters try). Thank christ he no longer has the goal kicking duties and as for his captainship? - dare I say it but since he's taken the reigns we've won jack shit and now look more mentally fragile than ever, including the mental holiday that lost us the Tri-Nations yesterday?
Hang on just a darn tootin second! Mortlock may have run out of the line but Cross had a shoulder and 2 arms on carter and fell away he is the one who let the try in not Mortlock! pretty much agree with you about cross's running though maybe he is not as powerfull as morty but he is harder to tackle

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't think Cross had any arms on him, and that is why he missed the tackle. Looks like he was playing at being one of the bouncy things in a pinball machine.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Guys, with regards to Cross' miss on Carter, have the look at the try below from 6.45, especially the replay, and tell me who Mortlock is marking as he comes screaming out of the line? (not for the first time this tri-nations).

Only when Cross sees Mortlock is no-where near getting his man (Mortlock ends up tackling no-one) that he tries to shift his weight back to the inside, too late which is why he can't get a proper tackle on the underwear fairy. This is what makes him look like a chump and that was his tackle to miss, but it wasn't, it was Mortlock's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGKrRjnlALw

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You are right Gagger. Mortlock stuffed up there, but Cross could still have made the tackle.

Look at at that footage again, I still can't believe the ABs didn't get done for holding on prior to Weepu's try. Classic case of holding on for me, and I would expect to see that picked up 99% of the time by most refs.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Cross should still have made the tackle, but Mortlock created the hole and then was coming across so fast that he over ran Carter coming back on the inside. Both made mistakes, Mortlock made two howlers.

Speaking of missed tackles, look at Tuqiris on Rodders which allowed the break for the Weepu try and Moore and Elsom's pathetic attempt on Cowan at about 1.25 in the leadup to Mils' try.

If Moore and Elsom had hammered Cowan the way two forwards should nail a halfback, no try. Lote tried to jump on Rodders head and Cross thought his arms were tied to his side. Those defensive errors cost us the game.

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
Think we're avoiding the topic at hand-

*Who was the genius that decided to call a scrum rather than tap near halfway when we had 6 mins to go and needed 2 tries?

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Gee watching that again is frustrating. I think Cross is simply not fit enough. He looked completely out on his feet when he let Sivi through in the lead up to Weepus try, and then again when he let Carter bounce off him.

But it was Weepus try that really pissed me off. Sharpe was never in a position to take advantage of the knock on and surely play should have gone back even though he made 5 metres before losing the ball. Then how Weepu was not free kicked for being on the ground is truely beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.