• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Fast Diet

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I love it. I go hard for two days a week and eat normally the other five. I actually look forward to the calorie restriction days.
Calling it a fast is a bit misleading. I eat a 250 cal breakfast and a 350 cal dinner. and black tea in between

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Sort of

Tuesdays and Thursdays I don't eat between dinner the previous night and dinner that night. So 21 to 24 hour fasts

Water & espressos only

Works fine, broke the plateau I was on to sneak under 90kgs to 89kg, but very hard not to be ravenous at the evening meal

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
How long did it take to adjust to the fasting days. I have tried similar things before and couldn't get past the headaches.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I didn't get any headaches Scoey. So can't tell you much about that side of things.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If you want to warm up to diets like this, then my advice is: ditch sugar.

For breakfast have something carb-free e.g. three eggs. Shit - have bacon if you want!

You'll find you don't get hungry during the day, just prop yourself up with water and coffee until dinner, then minimise any form of carbohydrates.

Keep in mind though when Sully says he eats "normally" the other days, he's not going to chuck down five pies and a kilo of donuts :)

Speaking as someone who used to weigh 130, and then went from 116 to 90 inside two years, 80% of it is diet.

Bloke at work is doing the ketosis thing and without any exercise besides a bit of yard work, he's dropped 10kg in 6 months.

Many ways to skin the cat, but ultimately you need to modify what you're throwing down your pie hole.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Phitzy is right. I Try to stick between 2100 and 2500 calories most other days. Which is easy. I try not to eat back the 1800 calories I didn't eat on the fast day.
Instead of being hungry day after day week after week month after month I'm only hungry for a few hours two or three times a week.
If anyone is interested their is a fast diet book and a BBC Horizon TV show on the benefits and the research behind the diet. It's called Eat, Fast, live longer

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
The wife and I are on it. It works well for us. We started enjoying the fast days once we got the hang of it. Plus we ate better on non-fast days. ITs also the easiest and cheapest diet we have tried. I can even juggle it around my work lunches and dinners and work travel - something I struggle with any other diet. I do find it very difficult to have two fast days in a row, which sometimes I need to do.

Cyril Towers (30)
Been on it since Jun. gone from 123 to 105 and have plateaued now. Get a bit lax on holidays but quickly drop back to 105 when I start fasting again. BP and BSL (which was borderline at 6) much improved. I find it easy and sustainable. Have done 2 in a row every now and then without problem. I plan the fast days at the start of the week and know what I'm having for the day. Like Sully I have around 250cal at brekky and 350 at dinner. I find I'm actually more productive in the afternoon on the fast days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I find two in a row touch by the end of the second day. Start to get seriously hungry and get a bit of a headache on the second night. ITs very doable though just not as easy as one on one off.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Was planning on starting this next week coincidentally. What are your fasting meals Sully? Do you stick to routine those days or mix it up?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
You've inspired me to get back on the wagon today. Need to drop some kgs to compete with my brother on an ill advised half marathon bet. Worked great for a couple of months last year.

How do you guys go exercising on the fast days?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Was planning on starting this next week coincidentally. What are your fasting meals Sully? Do you stick to routine those days or mix it up?
I've been having a slice of Hermanbrot toast with cream cheese and an egg with coffee for breakfast. For dinner I've been doing the soups from the cold section at the supermarkets and some extra protein of some sort.
I have just bought a set of kitchen scales so I can get a better idea of weights and made a chicken salad for dinner instead.

Coincidently the scales also told me my morning coffee is not the 25 calories I estimated but 90 calories. No wonder it tastes so good.

Hermanbrot is a local Gold Coast bread and is 26% protein and 5% carbs. http://www.hermanbrot.com.au/

Edit: Looks like their distribution network is a lot bigger you can find it is SE QLD, Northern NSW, Vic and SA. Also online but nearly $10 a loaf. I pay $5.50 at my local shop.