• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The flyhalf debate: who's in better form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
OK, so I decided to watch the kiwi/Aus test in Wellington again. Not sure why, just chucked it on.

Within 10 minutes, I had noticed a few things, most of which were to do with To'omua. His taking on the line in the 2nd test, was actually outstanding. I missed it the first time round because he'd been so passive in his debut, but this 2nd test he really was excellent. I've gone through and noted the times on the match clock for all these passages of play he was involved in, and put a brief description of it, a little like Kepu's 'efforts' against the Boks.

This, however, was much more enjoyable even if we lost. So, we start the match and at:

4:50 - Dummies outside, and has a run himself on the NZ 22. Clean past the first defender and is through the line when he is tackled, with his arms free and looking for the offload, however no one appears. Shame, because they'd have scored if someone had been on his shoulder.

Play drifts side to side and eventually Moore scores, and Prat awards us a penalty.

9:45 - clearance kick doesn't go out, Dagg counter attacks and makes everyone look foolish until To'omua makes the last ditch tackle on Savea. Gets penalised for being off his feet, while quite clearly standing on the fucking things by Prat. Makes the teckl, gets to his feet, there is separation and he's got his hands on the ball and is penalised?

12:40 - decent kick into space the bounces along in the kiwi 22. Smith returns it, Mogg receives and puts up a 2nd massive bomb that he chases all the way and then puts a great hit on the receiver, turning him in the tackle and we almost score a turnover. 2nd time Mogg has done this in the game, the first bomb/chase/tackle won us a turnover.

14:12 - To'omua takes another hit up to the line and makes nearly 5 metres, with assistance from Fardy.

17:40 - Puts a big hit in on Nonu. Questionable arm use, maybe he appreciates irony?

19:35 - Takes a pass from Genia, throws a nice flat ball out in front of his target in Mogg.

19:54 - Same again, good pass.

20:15, same again

23:03 - Good pass to Moore who has to accelarate onto it, and puts a nice short pass on Mowen's chest and backs up. This is what our backline, and the rest tbh, are missing. Our passes are not in front of the target, and it really is throwing everyone off their timing. For example, if that pass had not been where it was, but 3m behind and on Moore's inside shoulder like a lot of our passes (especially Genia of recent years) are, Moore would've been flat footed, and Mowen off with his timing which could easily have resulted in Moore getting smashed 5m behind the gainline and no one in support, as Mowen would now have to backtrack and lose valuable seconds to avoid infringing. Because it was a good pass (Cooper is also very good at doing this) Moore is running at full speed and draws two defenders, which puts less heat on Mowen so he takes the ball flat from Moore and ON the advantage line, smashes into it and makes another 3-4m. From this, we get very quick, clean ball, and it's in To'omua's hands again about 3 seconds later.

.....for another good phase play and we end up with a ruck at 23:12. Here is the perfect example of how the kiwi's operate at the ruck. We've just had 2 phases of good, quick ball, with passes in front of the man and made good ground. NZ recognise this, and Smith and Luatua team up for a tackle. Luatua does the McCaw and slowly regains his feet exactly where Genia is trying to stand. Tom Taylor comes in from the side, right in front of Prat, and pushes Genia off his feet. He retreats very quickly, so of course he's done the right thing and gotten back onside, but the damage has been done!. Genia's now tangled up with Luatua, while O'Connor and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) try and make it a little more obvious to this fucking idiot Prat, that they're on their fucking feet and forming a ruck and so according to the laws and challenge to this breakdown has to come from in front of them! IE, through the two Wallabies at the ruck, yet Taylor is allowed to just jump in from the side and push Genia over?! What the fuck?! It's over in 2 seconds, yet that's all NZ need to realign and set their defense so we have to start again.

23:25 - To'omua puts it out in front of his target again, good pass. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand we get quick ball. This is basic shit, why do our players struggle with it so much? Oh here we go, Moore takes another pass out in front of him and is therefore much more of a running threat, attacks the reforming defensive line and offloads again to Lealiifano who steams onto the ball on a very good angle back in towards the line and goes straight through. Gets tackled 3 metres out and Smith should be penalised here, another example of kiwi cheating. No release and he goes for the jackal, al la George Smith 2001. We arrive in numbers, and Read recognises the threat of the very quick ball and unorganised defence, jumps over the top and takes out Genia. If that's not a professional foul and yellow, I don't know what is.

Off topic, but high ball receipt: wtf is going with this? 28:38 a box kick goes up, and his returning to earth exactly where Simmons is standing. For some reason Genia charges up, calls for it, puts Simmons off and the both fucking butcher it. Is that Simmons' ball or Genia's? What is going on with this, all year it's been happening with Genia involved in almost every single one of them.

Anyway, Fardy puts 'the kick' through at 28:55

30:40 - To'omua throws a poor pass and it ruins the excellent backline move that was building. First error.

30:50 makes another good pass for Fardy to hit up.

30:56 takes it to the line again and same thing. Half through, arms free but no support runner. Hore lies all over him, holds onto the ball with his feet in the air ffs, and Prat blows it up. McCaw looks resigned to losing Hore to the bin, only for it to emerge that Joubert (who else?) has picked up the most innocuous bloody penalty i've seen since Drew Mitchell's red card after Ruchie's hollywood.

31:54 - To'omua puts a great shot on Nonu, trying to rattle the youngster. Gets zero change out of it. Maybe this inspires everyone, as the next 30 seconds are NZ making not a cm of ground and repeatedly getting smashed in contact. They try to regroup, but have got nothing going on and Taylor puts a shit chip over the top that To'omua cleans up, passes to Genia, and he puts a big kick through that goes all the way down into the kiwi 22. This is what aggressive defence does, it puts attackers off and creates confusion and turnovers.

Mogg takes on the Kiwi back three in a kicking duel, which ends with an average kick that he turns into a good one, with an excellent chase. Taps it back infield to prevent the kick out on the full, Hooper pounces on it, but gets turned in the tackle and turned over.

35:16 To'omua makes the tackle on Smith, slows him and the ball down but gets done for not releasing in the tackle.

41:04 - Takes it to the line again, steps one and struggles through the 2nd. Again, support runner would've gotten a fantastic opportunity with the offload.

42:17 - takes it to the line, is almost through and just looking for the support runner, AGAIN. Yet, Prat blows it up and says Hooper was running an obstruction, which baffles even Mexted.

Incidentally, penalty count is 9-3 against Australia. Hmm...

52:12 tackles Ben Smith

Incidentally, another observation that i've been banging on about for years, and been largely ignored. Mogg takes on Dagg's legendary right boot at about 54:40. He out-kicks Dagg. 22 to 22 kicking battle that Mogg wins, clearly, with us getting a lineout about 5m further out than the 22. One of the things that Dingo was hopeless at with the Wallabies, was getting our tactical kicing right. He was blessed at the Crusaders, with Carter and McDonald, and their gameplan was built around it. Taking over the Wallabies, he deemed Gerrard (2008/2009 form, btw, when he was by a laughably large distance the best fullback/tactical kicker in Australia) not good/fast enough and ignored him. Instead, we had AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back there, who is great at everything except kicking. How many fucking timedid we lose tests, because Carter just kept us pinned in our 22 with his kicks, and we just couldn't get out? With Mogg injured now, it's a bit moot, but his boot really is invaluable for us, and I really, REALLY hope that Link recognises what an asset he has in that left foot. Being able to win a kicking duel against Israel Dagg is going to be incredibly important in the next few years.

56:08 - another good ball inf ront of Lealiifano, who in turn puts a good pass in front of Folau, who attacks the line and gets us within 5m of the tryline. Cue Conrad Smith standing in OUR FUCKING BACKLINE to stop the quick ball to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) who was charging on to it and almost certain to score. Yellow card every day of the week, but no. This is all coming from some slick, well placed passing.

That was To'omua's last involvement of the game, Cooper comes on after that.

All in all, I think very good. Not average like the reports and impressions seem to have been, but actually very good. 4-5 times, if someone had been running support lines, we'd have been in, and watching that Reds/Blues clip from the 90's ish the other day, i'm starting to get an impression of where we're failing. We'd have had 3 extra tries in this match, if we'd done NOTHING else but have a support runner following To'omua and taking those offloads. That's it. We could have been smashed in the scrum, lost lineouts, not taken the initiative and bent any cheating kiwi in 7 different directions if they tried to slow the ball down, dropped passes etc etc etc. We could have played exactly as we did, and won that game by just running some support lines for our 10. 5 half breaks, and 3 of them would almost certainly have resulted in a try and failing that, points from the inevitable kiwi infringing to slow it down.

Why have we lost this art of running support lines?

Thoughts, fellow tragics?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To'omua's performance in Bled II is still the best performance by an Aussie flyhalf this RC..........

That isn't saying a lot, but he should be starting.........

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Is this a debate on who is in better form, because I don't see much analysis on Cooper's game time? Or is it:

1. A positivity thread for To'omua
2. A debate on support running

Nothing wrong with either of these but the thread title is misleading.

T

Train Without a Station

I'll probably get shouted down, but I think we really at this stage need Cooper to find form, because I can't see To'omua leading us to victory behind a comprehensively beaten pack which is a good chance of occurring in the near future.

I believe when Quade's on, he can create a lot. Have a look at the Lions vs Reds game. Imagine how we would have gone with a few better players around him? Quade is obviously flawed, but he cops a lot of misplaced blame. Perfect example is his pop pass to "nobody" which was actually to Ben Lucas but Ben slipped looping around.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Is this a debate on who is in better form, because I don't see much analysis on Cooper's game time? Or is it:

1. A positivity thread for To'omua
2. A debate on support running

Nothing wrong with either of these but the thread title is misleading.

I meant it as the opening post in a big long thread about it all. That was just an analysis of his 2nd test, as the first was a bit meh, and was rather surprised to find his second as actually pretty damn good.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'll probably get shouted down, but I think we really at this stage need Cooper to find form, because I can't see To'omua leading us to victory behind a comprehensively beaten pack which is a good chance of occurring in the near future.

I'll bite.........

a) Has Quade ever led anyone to victory behind a beaten pack?
b) Why is it less likely that To'omua could accomplish such a feat?

Wouldn't To'omua's strengths (more direct in attack, good kicking game and strong defence) be more beneficial to a retreating forward pack than Quade's lateral style of play?

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
To'omua is clearly ahead of Cooper at the moment. I wouldn't say he was playing with confidence as such, but a level of certainty about what he is doing that is light years ahead of what Quade has since is knee blew out. I didn't think anyone thought he played poorly or ordinary or subdued or whatever actually - most posts seemed to be pretty positive but then I didn't particularly go looking for specific thoughts on the matter. He should be starting.

I know I have said this before but from what I can see Quade is seriously way slower now than what he was pre injury and has not side stepped close to what he used to. I have no idea whether it is a confidence thing or lingering injury niggle or what but he really needs to sort that out quickly as it is those abilities that provide his difference. His passing game and ability to read a game several phases ahead of anyone else out on the field is probably better now though (it is astonishing how often he runs halfway across the field for seemingly no reason only to pop up two phases later tackling some guy or fielding a kick that is right where he ran to and is waiting). Without his speed and elusiveness it is all a bit wasted because he is getting smothered in attack so easily and he is therefore trying to do a SBW offload without the physical strength to be able to stabilise himself and it goes haywire. He should be back in brisbane with a dedicated sprint coach and nowhere near the field until next year.

T

Train Without a Station

I'll bite...

a) Has Quade ever led anyone to victory behind a beaten pack?
b) Why is it less likely that To'omua could accomplish such a feat?

Wouldn't To'omua's strengths (more direct in attack, good kicking game and strong defence) be more beneficial to a retreating forward pack than Quade's lateral style of play?

Let's face it, on pure form, To'omua is better right now, there's no doubting he is the better player in his position on form. My comments are more to the point that Quade's style where he is able to pull a rabbit out of a hat due to being a potentially more creative player would be more beneficial behind forward disparity IF he can get back to his best form.

To'omua was extremely effective playing with a Brumbies team that had a more traditionally strong forward pack.

Quade was his most effective in 2011 behind a less traditionally dominant type of pack, that was more based on mobility and work rate, as the detriment of the set piece, specifically the scrum.

Personally I think if Quade played for the Brumbies this year, he would have been significantly less effective than To'omua, as his risky game would yield too many errors and wouldn't have the forwards getting around quite as much.

Much so I think To'omua in 2011 would not have been as effective if he had been at the Reds, as his more conservative style of play would not be able to capitalise on some of the wider opportunities and quick ball that they based their play on.

Yeah I know it's pretty subjective but that's just my thoughts. If we had a traditionally stronger pack it would be cut and dry To'omua, hell currently it's To'omua. However I'm merely saying, where the other 14 players are at now, specifically 1-8, Cooper at his best probably represents us our best chance of achieving our best potential.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Both are playing fairly conservative. Problem for Quade is it isn't his natural style, not that he can't play it.

10 isn't the issue for the Wallabies ATM so it is hard to judge them both.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The question should be, which fly half is more likely to create chances that might win us matches right now?

A: Cooper.

To'omua may be in better form, but he has looked far less creative in attack. Stick with Cooper and lets see if he can hit form.

Until we sort out our piggies this shouldn't be an issue, both are solid options.

T

Train Without a Station

Based on recent form, anyone but Cooper.

Slim you're clearly being biased there. Cooper has shown glimpses, however he needs to do more.

I wouldn't go so far to say it's clearly him right now, but he has the potential ability which based on our forward performance we need him to achieve to give us the best chance right now.

So right now it's still up in the air. I wouldn't mind seeing Quade at 10 and To'omua at 12 a bit more. Lilo has had ample opportunity to make 12 his jersey and while he has done some good things he has failed to cement it. I consider him still there as nobody is beating down the door, and he merely has done nothing to lose it.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
one thing i have thought about with respect to Quade is, in his new found "maturity' has he lost the edge that made him special. is he now "thinking" too much and not simply reacting to the opportunities as he sees them, worried about how his performance is being judged, trying to tone down the speculators, throw passes to where his support should be (but rarely is !), etc.

i agree he seems reluctant to step as much as he once did and is probably not as much of direct running threat as before his injury.
and of course none of the above is helped playing behind a beaten pack and outside genia who is way out of form.

i think longterm To'omua is going to blossom into our best "test" 10 for sometime, and his form in the RC has been good.

as a former inside centre, in a tough game i would prefer to play outside To'omua; against a team where my pack are rampant, Cooper would be my choice. so given Australia is struggling up front i think that To'omua should probably start, but i will concede that Cooper is more likely to do something startling, either good or bad. For what its worth, i thought Cooper was pretty good in the second half against the Springboks (all that i have seen) and one of our best two or three.

ps leave Lilo at IC and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) outside him, FFS

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
EOYT should give us a fair shake out of where all players are, including those on the fringe.

As a tahs fan i'd like to get a real indication of where foley actually sits against cooper and To'omua.

In a straight up comparison between To'omua and cooper, at this stage i'm leaning towards To'omua. his direct running and ghosting through holes is what i think he has over cooper at the moment. as brumbieman points out, some better support running and we would be in a different and far less dark place.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Should just change this thread to 'The Matt To'omua Appreciation Society'.

Appears as if it was only created to promote one player and bring down the bloke who is currently sitting in pole position.

The same question could be asked for any position on the field right now.

Both have had chances to make the jersey their own and haven't impressed. We need to be consistent with selections and until the EOYT we probably won't have any idea who the better option is. Until then, I'm happy to back the bloke with the experience.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Part of the problem of having White as the designated kicker when he is on the field is that it makes the play of our 10 even more predictable.

White should definitely be doing plenty of our kicking because he has a great boot but we need to get him making good kicks rather than just hoofing it downfield.

When he does pass to Cooper we know that Cooper isn't going to kick because if there was going to be a kick, White would have already done it. This means that as soon as Cooper gets the ball, the defence can push up harder and already has a much better idea of what our play is likely to be.

There needs to be more deception in our game which comes from having more realistic options. The defence already knows that White is only going to kick or pass and that Cooper is only going to run or pass.

After the first few minutes on Saturday night, the Springboks could have bet the house and won that the only likely play was for White to kick from the base of the ruck based purely from the Wallabies field position.

Cooper at his best was very unpredictable which is what made it difficult for the defence. The outside backs couldn't rush up because they knew the cross field kick was an option. The defence couldn't ignore Cooper because he might take the ball to the line himself etc.

It's all very well to want to get the players who are best at certain skills to do those things most of the time but if you try and do that exclusively, those skills are very quickly stifled because the defence is able to predict what is going to happen so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.