• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
This seems disgraceful to me, Katich has been our best batter over the last two years and has shown the fighting quality thaat we want from Aus batsmen (and definitely from Aus openers). Poor decision (IMO) but poor communication by anyones measure. ACB hang your head in shame. The sooner the clean out comes the more likely we will start having on field success.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
This seems disgraceful to me, Katich has been our best batter over the last two years and has shown the fighting quality thaat we want from Aus batsmen (and definitely from Aus openers). Poor decision (IMO) but poor communication by anyones measure. ACB hang your head in shame. The sooner the clean out comes the more likely we will start having on field success.

Did you see his speech to the media a couple of days after the announcement he wouldnt keep his contract? Very true and brutally to the point. I'm biased because I'm a Kat fan, became an even bigger fan when he had a go at Clarkie. But seriously, the board has got some problems.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well, the "review" they were supposed to have was apparently run by FIFA seemingly, given they have struggled to actually make any findings of substance. And they talk about making changes to get an opening partnership in place for 2013 Ashes?? Cricket Australia have lost the plot. Form is form, and I cannot see how he couldn't have another 1 year contract at least.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Exactly, Bowside. I mean, what do they have to lose? He has a bad year, and they draw a line through his name then. He can do no more than score a lot of runs, which he has.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I wonder if there are other things going on? It was proved me to me tonight beyond reasonable doubt that Hammet was right to do what he did at the canes. Wondr if Katich faced the same thing

(I have no background whatsoever about KAtich at all - just based conjecture here)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
looking at the larger squad, its not overly impressive. Not a lot of potential test stars there.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I am in favour of this decision. One of the lessons from the Ashes was we need to throw younger guys in earlier and give them a chance to find their feet. Katich has been a great player, but we need to start the next generation now. Katich is not well liked within the side either, which didn't help.

This has been the policy of the Australian selectors for years- pushing players into retirement one year early rather than one year late. They did it with Ian Healy and Steve Waugh, and I imagine Ponting and Hussey may be next in the firing line.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Something I have heard from numerous sources. The silence from the other Australian players in the wake of Katich's sacking has been deafening.

I thought Kat was the bloke to lead the singing after Test victories, which I thought meant he was one of the "keepers of the flame" within the team. Didn't he have that run-in with M. Clarke about when to sing the song after the Sydney test last year?...oh, wait, now I see what you mean.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
I thought the story was Clarke didn't want them to sing the song?

I think Clarke wanted them to hurry up and get straight to singing the song? So he could bugger off and be with Lara Bingle. Can't say that I blame him there.
My first thoughts were actually that captain Clarke may have had something to do with it, although according to The Weed that isn't the case. Which means that it quite possibly is.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/katichs-axing-not-my-work--clarke-20110611-1fy05.html

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
Also, apologies to anyone who read that link for subjecting you to one of the Weed's columns.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought Kat was the bloke to lead the singing after Test victories, which I thought meant he was one of the "keepers of the flame" within the team. Didn't he have that run-in with M. Clarke about when to sing the song after the Sydney test last year?...oh, wait, now I see what you mean.

No, its Hussey that is the song leader at the moment. Katich barred up when Clarke suggested they sing it early so he could get away for a dinner with his girlfriend.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Even if someone isnt liked doesnt mean they cant do a job. Christ are they adults or little kids? The idea that someone should miss out on a job or spot in a team because they arent popular is just downright stupid. The age arguement doesnt wash when you've got Ponting and Hussey still there, if it was about youth those players would also be gone.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm in favour of a clean out of the contracted players, starting with the older blokes who aren't performing. We've just suffered three innings losses in an Ashes series. That tells me that we cannot continue as we are presently. Katich is stiff to miss out, but he should not have been the only one. His spray of the selectors was 100% on the money for mine.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I'm in favour of a clean out of the contracted players, starting with the older blokes who aren't performing. We've just suffered three innings losses in an Ashes series. That tells me that we cannot continue as we are presently. Katich is stiff to miss out, but he should not have been the only one. His spray of the selectors was 100% on the money for mine.

Hughes has now been preferred to Matty Hayden (squeezed out to satisfy the NSW press for the daft little opener) and now Katfish. A joke.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I certainly have my doubts over Hughes, I think he has a flawed technique. Shaun Marsh also has a contract, so maybe he'll get a shot at an openers spot.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Phil Jacques would have to have a look in, I'm certainly not a fan of Hughes he's far too easy to bowl to. Marsh is another but I would prefer to see him take Ricky's spot at 3 in the order. Just looking at the contracts though, seems as if they are going for Hughes... I don't look forward to next summer so maybe I'll jump ship, perhaps to the South Africans

Status
Not open for further replies.