• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The NZ/SA Rivalry, how fierce is it?

How Fierce is the New Zealand - South Africa rivarly?

• I live to beat the South Africans/Kiwis (omit as appropriate)

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • it's reasonably fierce I suppose, no other country provides a challenge though

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I prefer beating up on/getting beaten up by the Aussies (again, omit as appropriate)

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • It used to be good, not so much anymore

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • meh, when is the End of Year tour again?

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Added spice this week is the fact we're in the same RWC Pool & will only play once more before then: had AB won in Wellywood I think they'd have been tempted to rest some of the core players (e.g. Sam W & BSmith) who've played big minutes this year but that's not really an option now, they've gotta get back on level terms at Loftus & then lookmahead to 2019. No way we wanna head to Japan having not beaten these guys since 2017. Most-anticipated AB match of the year for me.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Understandable we havent talked about this one for ages. The unexpected win in Wellington may cause a bit of NZ pain but it surely relive this rivalry again. Long may this continue.

Oh PB, you don't know how much I agree with this!! I have never stopped thinking the Bokke our greatest rival, and I actually happy that a few 'fly by nighters' may start to appreciate it!! I am over the moon waiting for this test!
I will always remember back in early 90s just as Boks came back into rugby there was WC in cricket on in NZ, I was in Auckland for something and having a drink somewhere when I heard SA accents at next table, I of course went over to say hello and we talked rugby, and they said how much they were looking forward to playing the ABs. There was actually no test scheduled , and I pointed it out and they all said that noone in SA will accept the first test back in world rugby with anyone but the ABs! And they were right it was announced about 3 weeks later. I loved it will always remember, and I hope in my heart that it never changes!!!
I must admit I have to now go to SA for a test, but even if not for a test, just go there for a rugby game. Am actually doing exactly that in Wales at xmas, just want to watch rugby in the other country who like us and SA have traditionally held rugby in the esteem I think it should be held in!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Springbokke fortunate to get the good haka two weeks in a row. Glad our lot respond to it and earn the respect.

Hopefully we'll beat Rona and get the return of home and away tests.
I also think last night was a good answer to this thread title, we have so many tests like this over the years, and they are all tests I look back on with joy!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This comes as close to answering the question as anything I've ever seen/ read from a neutral:

Some of the comments also give a sense of what it's about.