• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Otago Highlanders

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I love it Highlanders investing in youth!!

This in my opinion is way forward, and I get impression a few Aus teams are going same way. f*** banking on buying players in, the comp is in place to 2030, so teams can suffer for 3-4 years to get a team that is loyal to area etc. There is no secret to why Chiefs have gone from no wins to finalists in a couple of years, and why the Crusaders are so sucessful. Great academies and groundwork put in on players!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Highlanders confirmed squad for 2024

Hookers: Jack Taylor, Henry Bell, *TBA

Props: Ethan de Groot, Daniel Lienert-Brown, Ayden Johnstone, Jermaine Ainsley, Saula Ma'u, Luca Inch.

Locks: Pari Pari Parkinson, Will Tucker, Fabian Holland, TBA

Loose forwards: Sean Withy, Billy Harmon, Hayden Michaels, Nikora Broughton, Oliver Haig, Hugh Renton, Max Hicks, TBA

Halfbacks: Folau Fakatava, Nathan Hastie, James Arscott

No 10s: Cam Millar, Ajay Faleafaga, TBA

Midfield: Thomas Umaga-Jensen, Jake Te Hiwi, Josh Timu, TBA

Outside backs: Jona Nareki, Jonah Lowe, Martin Bogado, Connor Garden-Bachop, Sam Gilbert, TBA, TBA

* to be announced

Jacob Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens is "thought to be" one of the outside backs & stuff is reporting that he & four others will be named shortly with the final two likely to take a little longer. I take that to mean they're waiting to see who misses out on a gig elsewhere & would be willing to possibly take a pay cut to stay in Super Rugby.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
That is a pretty light on experience squad, but by gee I will enjoy seeing them a couple of years down track if they hold the players!! And they got probably close to my favourite young lock there in Holland, whi I honestly believe could become a Sam Whitelock type player, the cornerstone of the ABs pack!