• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The ranting at Deans/ARU/O'Neill/Players thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Oh....and I have to agree 100% with Karl on the whole 'ban alcohol' thing.

KB (Kurtley Beale), QC (Quade Cooper) and JOC (James O'Connor) in particular should not have a drop during the seaon.....

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Despite what some people think, Australia doesn't have the cattle right now to match NZ..

Woodcock v Robinson - Woodcock
Mealamu v Moore - Moore in a tight one.
Franks v Kepu - Franks
Sharpe v Whitelock - Sharpe. Whitelock keeps improving though
Timani v Romano - Romano if I had to choose. Purely on
Pocock v McCaw - McCaw. Overall game is better than Pococks IMO.
Dennis v Messam - Messam
Higger v Read - Read.by a country mile
Genia v Smith - Genia. Not by much though. I stand by earlier comments this year that Genia hasn't done much really special with the Wallaby jersey on.
Barnes v Carter - Carter. Even on a quiet day, Carter.
Ioane v Jane - Digby. Not by much again tho.
SBW v Faainga - SBW.
Nonu v Horne - Nonu
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) v Gear - Gear. Was quiet on Saturday but surely you'd still take him at wing over AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) every day of the week.
Beale v Dagg - Dagg. Personal preference and bias. On his day, KB (Kurtley Beale) is untouchable. I still think something else is up with KB (Kurtley Beale) - he's not right.

Bullrush, we haven't been able to best the ABs man vs man for quite a while. What we can do however is play to our strengths.

You have us beaten in the props department. I'll give you that one.
Hooker: You've gone Mealamu Vs Moore. Interestingly you chose your starter vs our bench and still gave it to us. Not interesting that you chose this matchup, but rather that Moore isn't starting for us. I'd be taking a look at the coach over that selection.
Locks: 1 a piece.
Openside Flanker: McCaws running game is better, Pocock's fetching game is better.
Blindside Flanker: Agree with you on Messam over Dennis, but really I'd be measuring Higgers Vs Messam, in which case Messam in the tight, Higgers in the loose, still Messam overall though.
No 8: Make it Read vs Samo. It's always going to be Read, but Samo tackles harder and runs faster.
9. Genia over Smith
10. Carter over Quade (although, in the same way you say that Beale on his day is untouchable, cooper on his day is the same, carter is just more consistant)
11. Diggers over Jane
12. Berrick equal with SBW (Berrick doesn't have the same physicality or the offloads but he brings an entirely different skill set to SBW)
13. Nonu vs AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). It's been too long since 2 dads has played at 13 but there's not many people around Australia who wouldn't consider him to be our best 13. Nonu isn't a 13 so his positional play will be out of sorts.
14. Mitchell vs Gear. Give it to Gear given Mitchell hasn't played in a while but if he wasn't fit enough to start last week he shouldn't even be riding the pine. If not him then Shippers vs Gear, still to gear but not by much, Shippers has been in great form all year.
15. Beale vs Dagg: Exactly as you said, I'd go Dagg over beale but on his day Beale is a freak.

What you've got there is a team made up of uninjured players (this team could have been selected last weekend!). I'm not saying we would have won but we would have been a hell of a lot more threatening than what was on offer on Saturday. Sure, we lose in a lot of the individual match ups but we've still got a fuckload of talent running around.

We've got the cattle, but we're led by a sheep herder.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
KB (Kurtley Beale), QC (Quade Cooper) and JOC (James O'Connor) in particular should not have a drop during the seaon...

So, a very honest, trustworthy and decent lady who works for me and happens to live very close to Randwick Rugby Club, was walking by the aforementioned institution on Sunday afternoon and a certain Wallaby, that perhaps didnt have the best of games on Saturday night, was outside with a couple of mates (very big boys she mentioned). The Wallaby, who was in an obvious state of impairment (off his tree - and it didnt look as though it was just through a couple of drinks too many), saw my employee looking across at him and shouted out across the street, "and you can F#*k off you C@*T".

Charming! Great to see the strong hand of Dingo obviously has the boys very worried about their selection.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Riddler, it's a joke. Should be sacked.

The individual concerned has a great deal of form in this area, yet appears to suffer no repercussions and in fact is given chance after chance and excuse after excuse. Yes, of course individuals have to be responsible for their own actions. But you also need strong management. To mine, this is just another symptom of the piss-weak (or should that be piss-up) culture that exists.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
So, a very honest, trustworthy and decent lady who works for me and happens to live very close to Randwick Rugby Club, was walking by the aforementioned institution on Sunday afternoon and a certain Wallaby, that perhaps didnt have the best of games on Saturday night, was outside with a couple of mates (very big boys she mentioned). The Wallaby, who was in an obvious state of impairment (off his tree - and it didnt look as though it was just through a couple of drinks too many), saw my employee looking across at him and shouted out across the street, "and you can F#*k off you C@*T".

Charming! Great to see the strong hand of Dingo obviously has the boys very worried about their selection.

Name and shame. Don't give me rumours, I hope that's not you growden!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Name and shame. Don't give me rumours, I hope that's not you growden!

If you're going to name and shame, you probably need to get rid of the hearsay.

An obvious state of impairment is probably pushing it as well given that I'd assume the lady just walked past the front of the club.

If the player swore at a random passerby, it is horrendously poor form.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
No names mentioned as I dont fancy being on the receiving end of any litigation. "A certain Wallaby, who didnt perhaps have the best of games on Saturday night" gives you a pretty wide selection of players. And its pretty easy to tell if someone's off their head. And no hearsay involved; a direct statement from someone who was sworn at and could tell that the offender was either a) off their head or b) doing a fantastic impersonation of someone who's off their head.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Binge drinking under the old "work hard play hard" culture in the amateur days that many of us grew up with was the way things happened in the olden days. Many top athletes were also heavy smokers.

In today's environment, particularly with advanced fitness regimes, sports science, and diets this fitness regime and culture is no longer acceptable, particularly in the full time professional athletic environment.

Other posters have confirmed that this booze culture was prevalent with the Darkness under the John Mitchell regime. They have corrected that now. Perhaps England 2011 could learn s thing or two, but that is for another thread.

Regardless of whether they want to be a role model or not, our Wobs are Role Models. If they don't want to be one, then retire. When you are a full time professional athlete with most of your salary derived on the basis of after tax expenditure from punters like us, then WE are the shareholders and stakeholders, and you serve to please us with your athletic talents. Behave or run the risk of losing your $ and adoration.

That being said everything in moderation is a good motto. Even show ponies need to let their hair down from time to time.

Allowing tired and emotional athletes to be exposed to the public is an absolute failing of the Team Management.

Management need to put in place a regime of curfews, rations, supervision, Minders and Wingmen to ensure that any playing up is done in a manner that does not diminish the brand, to use a contemporary phrase.

W

What2040

Riddler
The question of the Wallaby
Who could it possibly be
A lad at the back
Surely not

The lad, I think you are referring to
Liked a big drink way back at school
Always had talent on the paddock
But shit, seems to be also the same in the dock

Has the lad got form
What number has he worn
I wonder what he would FEEL
If it was ....... .....

Enlighten us

W

Waylon

Beale should be dropped for his poor performance in Bledisloe 1. He was woeful and doesn't deserve the jersey.

If I'd played that bad, I would have got pished as well

The bloke from QLD (Morahan?) should get a crack......and so should Shipperley. I feel the need, the need for speed.

It would also be nice to have wallabies that respect the jersey

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Beale should be dropped for his poor performance in Bledisloe 1. He was woeful and doesn't deserve the jersey.

The bloke from QLD (Morahan?) should get a crack..and so should Shipperley. I feel the need, the need for speed.

This might be the first time anyone has ever suggested Morahan as a solution to a defensive problem.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

The bloke from QLD (Morahan?) should get a crack..and so should Shipperley. I feel the need, the need for speed.

Morahan is playing 7's this weekend.

Shipperley at 14 and push AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 15 would be fine by me. JOC (James O'Connor) also rumoured to be fit and may be a surprise selection at the back??

W

Waylon

Yeah Beale was sensational. He deserves another chance.

There is no doubt he is a 15 with his faultless defensive technique. Safe as the housing market in America

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Yeah Beale was sensational. He deserves another chance.

There is no doubt he is a 15 with his faultless defensive technique. Safe as the housing market in America

I'm collecting a list of players that never fucked up. So far I have :

1: John Eales

Care to contribute some more?

W

Waylon

I'm collecting a list of players that never fucked up. So far I have :

1: John Eales

Care to contribute some more?

Kurtley farks up far too frequently for mine

The Sydney side show has been running since he was 15

The bloke has a fatter @rse than Mark Ella 15 years after retirement. He can't tackle to save himself and never has been able to. He is dodgy under the high ball. His reputation for p1ss consumption has crossed the rugby world. The bloke might have some talent but he doesn't have the attitude, guts and tenacity to represent my country.

Hire for attitude

A spell in Sydney Grade rugby would do his over inflated ego the world of good. If he sooks it and changes to league.....good riddance

Australia is blessed with quality backs who have a better mindset, mental toughness and are equally talented. Give someone else a go

Status
Not open for further replies.