• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The renaming of the "Cook Cup" decision

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Who thinks this is a good idea?

The crystal Cook Cup is to be retired and will be replaced by the Ella-Mobbs Trophy.

The RFU and Rugby Australia have agreed to “better represent” the history of both nations after Cook became a divisive figure down under.

The new trophy – named after the great Wallabies fly half Mark Ella and the English war hero Edgar Mobbs – will be unveiled in Perth on July 1, the eve of the first Test of England’s summer tour to Australia.

So, I would like to put forward we also rename the "Mandela Cup" as well. He does not represent any history of Australia, just Sth Africa.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
On a serious note, I think it's a good call.

No need to change the Mandela cup as he is not a controversial figure - as an iconic global figure of the civil rights movement, and given our nation's history, there may be more significance than meets the eye

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
I support the decision.

I dislike the ahistorical, divisive rhetoric that is used around Captain Cook, much of which does not actually align with his record and much of which is more about adding fuel to a partisan bonfire and importing the worst of divisive American politics rather than serious attempts at nation-building and reconciliation.

But I'm just not sure why we have our rugby trophy named after him, he doesn't have anything to do with Rugby. HE was on the planet nearly 100 years before Mr Webb Ellis allegedly picked up the ball and ran off with it, he didn't know Rugby existed. Naming a trophy after him is dumb, almost a non-sequitor. Ella & Mobbs both made awesome contributions to Australia & England, played their hearts out and represent our countries in a variety of ways. Far more relevant

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In terms of non-rugby figures, Mandela is at least synonymous with rugby. His involvement and impact on South Africa rejoining World Rugby post-apartheid and the 1995 RWC are iconic moments of the sport. I'm pretty sure the decision to name the trophy after Mandela was an ARU initiative as they had the plate made initially to be contested in 2000 in a test match in Australia.

The Cook Cup has only existed since 1997. Let's not pretend there's some rich history to it that needs to be preserved.

The new name celebrating an important rugby figure from each country is much better.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Why does it need a name at all? Can't it just be the trophy or cup you win for winning the series?

For many spectators the new names would be meaningless.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I support the decision.

I dislike the ahistorical, divisive rhetoric that is used around Captain Cook, much of which does not actually align with his record and much of which is more about adding fuel to a partisan bonfire and importing the worst of divisive American politics rather than serious attempts at nation-building and reconciliation.

But I'm just not sure why we have our rugby trophy named after him, he doesn't have anything to do with Rugby. HE was on the planet nearly 100 years before Mr Webb Ellis allegedly picked up the ball and ran off with it, he didn't know Rugby existed. Naming a trophy after him is dumb, almost a non-sequitor. Ella & Mobbs both made awesome contributions to Australia & England, played their hearts out and represent our countries in a variety of ways. Far more relevant

Renaming of Cook cup makes a lot of sense …don’t think for anyone on here it would be obvious why…

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The problem with naming it after players is that it ages relatively quickly to the point where many supporters are either not aware of who the trophy is named after or wonder why a particular player was chosen when others may be seen to have been more deserving or have had a greater impact on the rivalry between the two nations.

At my age and games I have watched, Johnny Wilkinson has had the most impact with a single kick on matches between England and Australia but this does not make him deserving of having a trophy named after him.

Despite not being a Rugby player, Cook has had a massive impact on both England and Australia and signifies the bond between both nations that goes further than just Rugby. Our nations are linked by Cook and I would be happy for his name to remain but also understand that this would be a politically incorrect decision as any remembrance of how Australia as we know it was founded is to be ignored in modern society.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I like the idea but it seems it's just two random blokes from completely different eras. Maybe something like the captains of the tests from that original 1909 test (I know Mobbs played in that team). Or if you wanted to use a First nations person what about Ramalli?

Last edited:

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I'm more aligned with the learn from instead of bury history school of thought, but there is not much history in the name of the Cook Cup. It hasn't been around that much longer than the length of George Smith's pro rugby career.

The big sweets jar is just a byproduct of the most important thing - beating the bloody poms! It was just as good doing that 20 odd years ago when there was no trophy.

It is better named after rugby players and its always safer to pick a long deceased war hero - unlikely any skeletons will come falling out of that closet. It's also good to see Mark Ella immortalised in this way.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Because he was a knob.
And
I'm more aligned with the learn from instead of bury history school of thought, but there is not much history in the name of the Cook Cup. It hasn't been around that much longer than the length of George Smith's pro rugby career.

The big sweets jar is just a byproduct of the most important thing - beating the bloody poms! It was just as good doing that 20 odd years ago when there was no trophy.

It is better named after rugby players and its always safer to pick a long deceased war hero - unlikely any skeletons will come falling out of that closet. It's also good to see Mark Ella immortalised in this way.

Yep choose someone named after with rugby background plus from links to the traditional owners of our land makes much more sense

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
And

Yep choose someone named after with rugby background plus from links to the traditional owners of our land makes much more sense
So picking a player because of who his parents were is the important thing?

Why can't Ella be picked because he was a bloody awesome Wallaby?

Picking someone because of their race does a dis-service to there skills on the ground.

If player background is important then I would prefer Jim Williams to be one of the two names on the trophy, not only was he a distinguished player and coach he also served in the Australian Army. The Army's commander in chief is the governor general who represents the Queens so there is a link between both England and Australia.