• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies use of 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Has anyone noticed that this season our 13, whether Horne or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), has been quiet. I'm not sure whether that is because our game plan doesn't use the 13 much of that neither AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Horne has really imposed themselves on a game this year.

It could also be said that our 8 has been quiet but I think we know why that is. Perhaps that answers my question.

Its odd to think that, in years past, Mortlock, Herbert and Little were great gap runners at 13 whereas at the moment we don't seem to have that.

Given QCs wide passing game, it is clearly within our power to use the 13. Does it mean our 13 is running the wrong lines? Given Gits is reduced to a distribution role, it feels as though we are missing an attacking centre pairing.

T

TOCC

No way, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has probably touched the ball the most behind the half-back and 5/8 in the back-line, its actually frustrating to watch because at times it seems as though the game plan revolved purely around AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hitting the ball up.

I dont think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been ineffective at running holes, its just that his up against other centres who outweigh him, the current Deans game plan seems perfectly suited to employing someone like Will Chambers in the backline, someone physically larger who can get across the advantage line 9 times out of 10.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If you look at the sides we have played this season they are all very strong defensively through the 13 , Tindall, BOD, Smith & Fourie are bloody good defenders.

I assume when you look for opportunities to attack against Ireland, England, NZ & SA you may look at easier channels

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
No way, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has probably touched the ball the most behind the half-back and 5/8 in the back-line, its actually frustrating to watch because at times it seems as though the game plan revolved purely around AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hitting the ball up.

I dont think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been ineffective at running holes, its just that his up against other centres who outweigh him, the current Deans game plan seems perfectly suited to employing someone like Will Chambers in the backline, someone physically larger who can get across the advantage line 9 times out of 10.

Per Ruggapedia Will Chambers is only 4cm taller and 2kg heavier than Adam Ashley-Cooper. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the man who can best get across the advantage line. I will never forget those two great tries of his; first v the ABS on the wing a few years back when he busted through 2 or 3 defenders including Sir Richie, and then last year v the poms with the number 15 on his back in very similar circumstances. 9.5 times out of 10 he will bust the line. Just pity the wingers playing outside of him cause he can't pass for peanuts. Chambers or Horne will be his cover next year.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
paris tah he scored another one against RSA last year in the same manner as the one against england, all of his tries like that have come in the left corner where can use his fend.

yeh the wingers dont seem to get many passes from him at all, maybe the wallabies should adopt a league style centre combo where gits plays on the right and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) plays on the left

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
paris tah he scored another one against RSA last year in the same manner as the one against england, all of his tries like that have come in the left corner where can use his fend.
yeh the wingers dont seem to get many passes from him at all, maybe the wallabies should adopt a league style centre combo where gits plays on the right and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) plays on the left

Maybe this is why he bombed the try last week. Does he always carry with his left and fend with his right? If so he's got some work to do on his game.

T

TOCC

Per Ruggapedia Will Chambers is only 4cm taller and 2kg heavier than Adam Ashley-Cooper. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the man who can best get across the advantage line. I will never forget those two great tries of his; first v the ABS on the wing a few years back when he busted through 2 or 3 defenders including Sir Richie, and then last year v the poms with the number 15 on his back in very similar circumstances. 9.5 times out of 10 he will bust the line. Just pity the wingers playing outside of him cause he can't pass for peanuts. Chambers or Horne will be his cover next year.

yes well its not at all uncommon for players to lie a bit on there stats, Id say Will Chambers has a extra 5kg at least on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has not been getting across the advantage line on his runs lately, when he is going with the crash ball he is running into a wall of defenders and getting nowhere. If they are going to persist with this style of play then AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) isnt the man for the job.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He should be playing fullback... but unfortunately we don't have any other outside centres... or wingers it seems...

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

Chambers is only 2kg heaver than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Edit: oops didn't see the previous post.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Horne didnt call for the ball enough, and also Gits runs right across the outside centre.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
agree with the bit about Gits ATM, not sure about Horne yet.
no other 13 has done any more than him. He has been getting the ball with blood on it every time he has run out, and lets face it, he is not a crash baller.
I am a fan of his at super 14 level,lets see how he goes on the NH tour.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I know about the Chambers/ AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) weight figures and I don't believe it! Chambers looks taller and has legs like tree trunks. Someone is lying about their weight. And chambers has a pass in traffic AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) does not.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I reckon you've hit the nail on the head, FP. Very tough for the 13 to impose given the top-notch defense.

I don't think Horne was quite ready for Test rugby when he got his chance. Love to see him have another season or two in S15... but looking forward to seeing him on the EOYT. Seems like the kind of positive, thoughtful young guy that the Wallabies need in the squad.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Horne didnt call for the ball enough, and also Gits runs right across the outside centre.

Correct. The key is inept inside centre play. Watch Austin's Wallaby backline highlights and notice the lines Tim Horan runs. He never runs across field. Centre play #101 - run north south not east west. There is nothing more destructive to a backline than an East-West centre. That is beyond Giteau. You could find more productive centres in U9s rugby. Giteau is a crabbing softcock who is petrified of contact. He is a backline cancer. CULL NOW !!! And cull Robbie Dean, who has failed to chop Giteau.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
He should be playing fullback... but unfortunately we don't have any other outside centres... or wingers it seems...

I think Beale is starting to sew up the fullback spot.
Will be interesting to see where AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes when Chambers and Horne are fit.
Ill also be interested to see if Chambers is up to test rugby when he does get his chance.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)

I couldn't move Beale ATM he's been our best back the last two tests & I'd be happy for Beale to remain at 15 while his purple patch continues.

I think Deans should keep AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 even when Chambers, Horne & Digby are fit & get rid of JOC (James O'Connor) & Giteau.

Would be happy to see Fainga'a or even Chamber given a run at 12.

T

tranquility

Why? he is not a crash ball player and he doesn't tackle that well front on. It would also limit his kicking game, and ability to take advantage of space. I think KB (Kurtley Beale) looks right at home at 15 and should stay there. I do think that he will eventually become a very good 10 though.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I would like to see beale at 13 but hes playing well at 15 and deans should leave him there,

Leave AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 until Horne, chambers are back and see how they perform on the EOYT

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We are really missing Morty here with his change of angle and timing of his run. 9 times out of 10 he finds the gap or beats the defense with that angle change.
The other time he carries a couple of blokes over the advantage line.
Horne fell short and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has so far as well with the lack of space. Chambers could be the guy.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) needs to play a little deeper and try and offload now and then. At the moment the Boks and Kiwis know he will die with the ball so defenders come in on him and normally he has 2-3 players tackling him.

Status
Not open for further replies.