• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

There Their They're

L

luikang

bail up

Australia force somebody to have conversation: to stop a person in order to speak to him or her, often in a situation where that person does not want to be stopped or spoken to

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I always thought that bail was what you did with water and bale is what you did to hay. However on referal to my Heinemann Australian Student Dictionary they are apparently interchangeable with regards to the water and aeroplane scenario. Learn something every day.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Where did you get that definition for bale? Did you just write it yourself?
Its not even a definition for bale, its a definition for bale out.
The source was: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bale out
all you had to do was click on one of the synonyms

If you googled "bale" instead of leaping in with erroneous insults you would have found bale and if your attention span permitted you might have scrolled down as far as:
bale4
n
(Transport / Nautical Terms) a variant spelling of bail4

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
3 people have said youre wrong, suckerforred even started the debate but later admitted, following research (let me know if you need a definition of that too) it was an acceptable spelling - yet you (a) maintain your position (b) launch into it by suggesting that I made something up.
You're a clown.

Now leave me alone.

Didn't think I started it :(

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm sorry IS but if you can't keep it civil then please leave.

You were the one who made this aggressive and personal. Consider this a warning.

Schaudenfraude- please turn the other cheek in future.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
OK, that's an infraction for IS and Schadenfreude. You two are busting rules 6, 10 and the general NO DICKHEADS rules all over the shop

L

luikang

bale [bayl]
noun (plural bales)
large bundle or package: a large bundle or package of hay or a raw material such as cotton, tightly bound with string or wire to keep it in shape during transportation or storage

transitive and intransitive verb (past and past participle baled, present participle bal·ing, 3rd person present singular bales)
make into bundles: to gather and fasten material or goods into bales
baling hay

[14th century. < Old French < Germanic]

bale [bayl]
noun
evil or suffering: evil or suffering (archaic or literary)

[ Old English bealu < Germanic]

bail out
post security
post security, obtain somebody's release, stand surety, put up bail
escape
escape, run away, desert, flee, evacuate, abandon, duck out, drop out
antonym: stick out
help
help, rescue, save, assist, aid, come to somebody's aid

After searching Bale out
bale out was not found in the English Thesaurus

bail [bayl]
(past and past participle bailed, present participle bail·ing, 3rd person present singular bails)
transitive and intransitive verb
empty water out from boat: to empty water out of a boat, using a bucket or similar container
We bailed the sinking boat for an hour.

[Early 17th century. < obsolete bail "bucket," via French < assumed Vulgar Latin bajula "water carrier"]

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I'm glad you turned up coz you're on the shit list as well. Have a warning for the same as above as well as using an alias, Spoony

L

luikang

I'm glad you turned up coz you're on the shit list as well. Have a warning for the same as above as well as using an alias, Spoony
I sent a message to Moses about the problem I have and are still awaiting a reply. You can refer to the forum migration thread about my problem as I am not trying to hide. It takes 10 minutes to log in and about 10 to 15 just to get to a inbox.

L

luikang

I took that into account, we usually ban outright instantly for aliases
I did not create another account for malicious purposes but 30 minutes to get the inbox up and then a server error message when I try to inbox a admin asking about it made it almost impossible to resolve it. So i created this one with the purpose to see where problem lies. This one works perfectly so its on your side. I can send you my password and username and you can test it yourself.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Hey pedants,
Can anyone help with affect and effect? In a rugby context, for example, is this correct?
- No matter whether another try is scored, it will have no effect on the outcome of the game; and
- No matter whether another try is scored, it will not affect the outcome of the game.
I kinda know it is but just don't know why. Does anyone have a dumbed down explanation?

L

luikang

Hey pedants,
Can anyone help with affect and effect? In a rugby context, for example, is this correct?
- No matter whether another try is scored, it will have no effect on the outcome of the game; and
- No matter whether another try is scored, it will not affect the outcome of the game.
I kinda know it is but just don't know why. Does anyone have a dumbed down explanation?
it will have no effect on the outcome of the game
result: a change or changed state occurring as a direct result of action by somebody or something else

it will not affect the outcome of the game
influence somebody or something: to act upon or have an effect on somebody or something

First one is emphasis on the end result and 2nd one is in relation to the situation at current moment