• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

There Their They're

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Now it could be either they underestimated but by the wrong amount or they overestimated when they meant to underestimated.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Well since we are posting stuff that annoys us. Mispronouncing eleven as aleven is really starting to piss me off. Maybe I'm just getting old?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's hard to hear whole words with Kev's ears, he actually thinks they got rid of the word defence when he was around 13, not realising this was when his ears closed up, he just cant hear properly (someone should have told him!)

Reactions: DPK

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Perhaps ;)

My old man did Latin at school and that was in the 60's!

I did Latin at school and it is the foundation for most of my knowledge of grammar and to a lesser extent syntax. I'm was born in 86 tho so I'm not what you'd consider old. When I went through school I wasn't taught any grammar in English, I didn't know the difference between a noun and a verb until I took up Latin in year 7. I think we need to start looking at first of all putting Grammar back into the national syllabus and retraining our teachers to teach grammar, especially those who were not taught at school.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Whoa now - hold up. It IS pronounced Wenzday. There is an unfortunate trend that has been going most of the last century to bring pronunciation in line with spelling. And so "offen" becomes "often" and "et" becomes "ate." You're not proposing to say "Wed - nez - day" are you? American English has gone the other way - they bring spelling into line with pronunciation, e.g., "plow".

Personally, I like words that are pronounced differently to the way they look. (Captain Mainwaring, Worcester, execrable, etc).

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not "Wed-nez-day"; it's more like "Wedens-day". My school prinicipal used to be veeeeery strict on this.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Here is Pete Smith on how to correctly say Australia and Wednesday.

Attachments

• Pete Smith - Wednesday.mp3
    113.7 KB · Views: 360
  • Pete Smith - Australia.mp3
    35.3 KB · Views: 364

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Defense just seems a flimsy word compared to defence. Defence. Much stronger.

I always read defense as "DEEfence" and defence as "deFENCE" (not shouting guys- just didn't know how else to punctuate it).

Something that's really starting to get up my nose is overuse of exclamation marks!!! They're just not necessary in a standard sentence!! And one is usually enough to get your point across!!!!!!! "I had chicken for lunch" is just not exciting enough to exclaim.