• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

There Their They're

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I've asked Dutch people why there are two names for the one country and their answers are as clear as mud. But I notice most Europeans refer to it as The Netherlands.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Holland or The Netherlands and they're Dutch...

I have some close friends who are Dutch, just as crazy...

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Wikipedia:
Holland is a region in the western part of the Netherlands. The term Holland is also frequently used as a pars pro toto to refer to the whole of the Netherlands. This usage is generally accepted but disliked by many Dutch people in the other parts of the Netherlands.[1]

Similar to the confusion with Britain, The British Isles, Great Britain, England etc.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Pronunciations are a rich vein of too.

How many times do you hear people saying "That's a nice Porsh"? Where did the "e" go? Its German, you pronounce all the letters. Or those wine glasses by Riedel. I love hearing wine snobs say how great "RY dell" glasses are when it should be "Reedle".

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Don't get me started on place names..... It is Bar-call-den, not Bar-cal-dine, even though it is spelt that way. Biloela really sorts them out... but I forgive you for that one.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I like it when people mispronounce pedant. The correct pronunciation is 'peasant', and it should be delivered while holding your chin high and looking down your nose at the offending person.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I worked for a sporting related business in the UK where the announcer had been saying "Wag-Uh Wag-Uh" instead of "Wog-Uh Wog-Uh" for the last 20 years... they were amazed I had the tumerity to disagree. Actually, they were all weird - a bunch of the directors refused to believe me when I told them Dawn Fraser was a swimmer, and not a runner as they all thought.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I though I heard mentioned somewhere sometime the fact that there is a pronuncation guide out there that the media folk use, particularly in relation to names etc. After listening to the radio coverage of the floods in western QLD and northern NSW I am wondering if we need to write one for Australian Place names. Cunnamulla never struck me as difficult, and there was one mentioned that I am not sure if they were mean Boggabilla, Boggabri, or Boomi...

Edit - God my typing sucks!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I worked for a sporting related business in the UK where the announcer had been saying "Wag-Uh Wag-Uh" instead of "Wog-Uh Wog-Uh" for the last 20 years... they were amazed I had the tumerity to disagree. Actually, they were all weird - a bunch of the directors refused to believe me when I told them Dawn Fraser was a swimmer, and not a runner as they all thought.
In the spirit of the thread, I have to ask if this is a hybrid word, representing something between "having the hide" and having a boner?

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
tumerity - a visibly aroused state of bold and cheeky disrespect in the face of authority - "The tumerity of the defendant was obvious to all in the Court and not a little scandalizing to some."