• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Given there's not much on-field action worth talking about, I thought this might be worth it's own thread.

With the stories floating around in the last couple of days about the problems getting Folau back into the NRL, what are the chances of getting him back to rugby instead - and would it be a good thing?

IMO he could well be what the Wallabies need, and chuck him along with a change of coach and the Lions tour next year it might be the ticket to getting rugby out of the doldrums in Aus.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing from those with time watching him in both the AFL and NRL (and at schoolboy level).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I would like to see the ARU provide some sort of support to get him to either the Rebels or The Force - even if it allows them an extra player in the squad.

I assume it is snowball chance in hell of happening (and I'm sure there would be some grumblings from the other franchises if it did), but it would mean bringing in a player who is good in the air, presumably has a kicking game now (I didn't watch any of his AFL games), has size and speed.

In my view a good thing for Australian rugby with the potential added bonus of assisting one of our two less successful franchises (in terms of on field success and wallaby numbers) to be more competitive. Plus he already has some profile and connections in Melbourne.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Only the Rebels and Waratahs have a spot left and I doubt the Rebels will be allowed to only have one hooker in their main squad so Waratahs are only chance. The only way he'd fit in the salary cap is if they signed him as a Samoan import. Which makes you wonder how it would all work out if he then got selected for the Wallabies.

D

daz

Well, he is a former RL Kangaroo and Qld SOO player, so he has a fair bit of an idea. It should not be hard to re-boot his brain towards rugby.

I also kinda like the fact that he had to trim down his physique and increase his athleticism for AFL.

A bloke who can tackle, run fast and has good ball handling skills? I smell an 11 or 14 jersey-wearer in the making.

He is also a proven high ball practitioner and has had his kicking game and placement vision seriously developed. Hmm, 15 as well?

Madness to not at least have a look at him.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
No point speculating about this, the ARU will not be involved in any more raids because we just do not have the spare cash sitting around any more. That is why the Wobbs have been playing extra international fixtures over the last two or three years, to try to balance the ledger.

D

daz

According to the Font of all Knowledge* we know this about Folau:

Played both wing and centre for Storm and Broncos.

70 tries in 87 NRL appearances. Dally M Rookie of the Year in 2007 and Dally M Centre of the Year in 2008.

*Wikipedia

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well, he is a former RL Kangaroo and Qld SOO player, so he has a fair bit of an idea. It should not be hard to re-boot his brain towards rugby.

I also kinda like the fact that he had to trim down his physique and increase his athleticism for AFL.

A bloke who can tackle, run fast and has good ball handling skills? I smell an 11 or 14 jersey-wearer in the making.

He is also a proven high ball practitioner and has had his kicking game and placement vision seriously developed. Hmm, 15 as well?

Madness to not at least have a look at him.
daz, daz, daz...even if the ARU had the money (hoping that thyere keeping some aside for Deans' termination package) do we really want go down this path again?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The only rugby league players I want to see in Rugby Union are people like Jarrod Saffy who moved across because they wanted to and not because the ARU drove up to their door with a briefcase full of money.

No one should ever be signed from Rugby League to play for the Wallabies again.

If a Super Rugby franchise wishes to offer someone a contract then that is fine, but the player needs to earn their place at all levels from there (including getting a run in the matchday 22 for the Super Rugby team).

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I may well be wrong but I was under the impression he played rugby all through juniors and had played rep at some level then as well

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
He should go to France or Japan and learn the game for a season while still earning megabucks and then come and play in Oz in 2014.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He certainly isn't needed.

We have plenty of great wingers.

Keeping them all healthy under Deans though.........

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
In an alternate universe, I could see the Rebs making a play for him. Some of the bids were making a bit of noise about it before he signed to GWS.

But yes, we need a hooker, no, we don't have the cash, and yes, it would likely just be a stunt.

T

Train Without a Station

No. Mentally and physically soft. His AFL stint showed he does not have the ticker to make a go of anything he would have to work at.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I would want to see some testing of his kicking ability, if he has learnt to torpedo punt a ball 50m+ in the last few years then lets look at him as a 15, his league background shows he can score a try, and he must be able to tackle to succeed at league so I say give it a go, but only if he wants to, not because of the money.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The only rugby league players I want to see in Rugby Union are people like Jarrod Saffy who moved across because they wanted to and not because the ARU drove up to their door with a briefcase full of money.

No one should ever be signed from Rugby League to play for the Wallabies again.

If a Super Rugby franchise wishes to offer someone a contract then that is fine, but the player needs to earn their place at all levels from there (including getting a run in the matchday 22 for the Super Rugby team).

Fair enough - I agree. I am not advocating the ARU gets into a bidding war. And definitely don't want to ever be suscipicous someone was shoehorned into the Wallabies again.

However, it was my understanding that his offer from Parramatta was heavily backended, so it may not take that much to meet the market.

Sailor, Rogers, Tiquiri, Barnes, Saffy, Peter Ryan, Vuna, Chambers, Mogg, Tomane, Rod Davis - not to mention Thorn & SBW all have background in league. They may not be everyone's cup of tea but all are/were adequate super rugby players. Most were more than adequate by any fair assessment method. Is it beyond belief that Folau wouldn't challenge for a starting role at the majority of Super franchises - probably all of them.

He seems relatively modest, quietly spoken bloke who is big, fast, has good hands, can kick and can tackle. He is prepared to challenge himself.

I understand that working a deal out might be unlikely. I can't quite get my head around why we would dismiss him on the basis 1. He is a league player (I'm just going to ignore his last two years) or 2. We have enough wingers (really????? - maybe if the were all fit) or 3. He needs to play club rugby or in Japan first.

If the Waratahs are the only club with the cash/room in the squad then I hope they make a play for him, and I hope they are successful. (And no, for the cynics, I am not then hoping he is a dud - although I would be happy for him to play crap verse the Reds).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Folau and his agent would have discussed when and why he should announce his departure from the Giants. He announced if at a time that was outside of when most Australia Super rugby contracts are set in stone. Therefore, I believe when he said he was considering union he would have been referring to France and Japan.

However, it is obvious he largely he chose his time to announce his departure from AFL due to it being a good time of year to sign up to a league club. He was never considering playing Aussie Super rugby for a second or him and his no doubt intelligent support staff would have ensured he was available for contracting.

Things at this level of professionalism rarely happen by mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.