• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thurston for Wallabies' Kicking Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Not bad. There is a video of Matt Burke in his schoolboy days where he kicks the ball at the posts from the same point - he hits the goal post and gets the ball to bounce back to him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can't imagine Thurston would make a good kicking coach at all. I think he is a freakishly talented kicker but it isn't something that is easily replicated.

He always puts a big hook on his kick which is probably less viable with a rugby union ball and certainly a hinderance for the longer range penalties that are so important in union.

That kick is pretty awesome though.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Technically speaking Thurston is a terrible kicker, takes a far too angled approach to the ball. Hooks it and swivels across the ball, all are major faux pas in terms of kicking technique.

Having said that he is a freak and is one of the most consistent goal kickers in footy. Braveheart also makes a good point about his technique for pens, his max range is probably around 40m with the curl which just isnt long enough to be an international goal kicker in union.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Technically speaking Thurston is a terrible kicker, takes a far too angled approach to the ball. Hooks it and swivels across the ball, all are major faux pas in terms of kicking technique.

Having said that he is a freak and is one of the most consistent goal kickers in footy. Braveheart also makes a good point about his technique for pens, his max range is probably around 40m with the curl which just isnt long enough to be an international goal kicker in union.

Don't get too excited; I did add an emoticon with wink at the bottom of the post.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Don't get too excited; I did add an emoticon with wink at the bottom of the post.

I know mate was just putting forward my thoughts on the subject.

Also has anyone else (forum members) ever attempted these kind of kicks, they are really difficult to judge from the sideline. Literally impossible from the rhs as well

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I've tried this but not trying to get the ball in between the posts, rather to hit the posts. Straight kicking has always been more successful for me.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
We used to do it with drop kicks about 10m in from the sideline before training. Quite a few of the guys in my team became very good at it yet we never tried a field goal in a game. Waste of a skill really.

Patto.

Allen Oxlade (6)
If you attempted a conversion from that spot I think the opponents would whip the ball away the instant you twitched in a forward direction. The resultant air swing would be a good laugh.;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I've tried this but not trying to get the ball in between the posts, rather to hit the posts. Straight kicking has always been more successful for me.

that is how Mick Cronin used to practice his goal kicking

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I watch Steyn warm up against the Reds this year by putting the ball on the goal line and aiming for the post. Even hit it a few times! Seems like a good way to improve your accuracy.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Darryl Halligan or possibly Hazam El Masri would be perfect candidates.

I hate the Bulldogs with a passion but these two blokes were the best at this craft that are in this country.

ps i know Halligan is a Kiwi.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
Depends on what kicking you are talking about?
Goals - i have no opinion
For the rest theory could be handled by some mungo, i guess, I'd be happy with JT, JT, or AJ who I thinks done a bit for the wobs already, practical by someone from the AFL who are by far the best kicks in this country (yes I watched the international rules last night and it's a round ball).

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I would suggest there should be 3 and possibly 4.

Goal kicking - Halligan or El Masri
Technique and execution - Someone like Nick Davis who played for the swans. He worked with the sharks and Kimmorley and knows the game.
Tactical and field position - Someone from Rugby anyone
Bag o tricks - JT or even Andrew Johns

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Really don't get what the fuss is about. Loads of kickers use this as a drill and many of them are quite good at it.

League bogans laying on the "look how good our bloke is." Big deal.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Really don't get what the fuss is about. Loads of kickers use this as a drill and many of them are quite good at it.

League bogans laying on the "look how good our bloke is." Big deal.

You come from a country where people can goal kick.

We're still trying to work it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.