• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC2021 - Wallabies v Pumas @ Townsville 25/09

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd rather see Pete Samu have a crack at 6. McMahon or Leota onto the bench.

Wilson is way down the pecking order at the moment I suspect. Not sure why, though.
I think Pete deserves a starting spot before Sean too. Sean needs to show what he's got now before getting to start.

My only issue with Pete is that he might go to 8 and Valetini moves to 6 - that was how I saw them in the final stages of last week's game. If that also alters the role that Rob performs, it could largely be a backward move. The same comment probably applies if Sean comes in to 8.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think Pete deserves a starting spot before Sean too. Sean needs to show what he's got now before getting to start.

My only issue with Pete is that he might go to 8 and Valetini moves to 6 - that was how I saw them in the final stages of last week's game. If that also alters the role that Rob performs, it could largely be a backward move. The same comment probably applies if Sean comes in to 8.
Swinton seems to be playing the tighter role through the middle and you'd expect Valetini to take up that role in the event of his absence. At the moment it seems Valetini is operating on the right flank a lot, which I imagine would better suit Samu.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Is it really that bad a position for McReight?

No doubt he’d love a crack at the 7 right now and, personally, I don’t think he could do much more to press his case, but he is stuck behind our best player who is playing at least as well as he ever has and also happens to be the skipper.

But - Fraser is only 22. In 2 years he’ll be just entering the prime of his career. He’ll have 5 yrs of super rugby under his belt and I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t get a couple more Wallaby caps in that time (although I could see them using McMahon as the back up 7) and any/all the time he spends in the Wallaby squad he gets the opportunity to learn from the best we have at close quarters. He could still have a 5-10 year test career if he really wants, assuming he stays fit. He will, presumably, be an even better player than he is now. Who knows - in 2 yes he could be the better player.

Of course any of number of things could change that - not the least being that Hooper is young enough that he might continue, especially with the Lions series so close. He could cop an injury. Someone else might emerge. He might decided to go OS. But as a 22 year old serving an apprenticeship in the Wallaby squad with the guy he wants to emulate and eventually overtake - well, there are worse gigs in life.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Swinton seems to be playing the tighter role through the middle and you'd expect Valetini to take up that role in the event of his absence. At the moment it seems Valetini is operating on the right flank a lot, which I imagine would better suit Samu.
Although Valetini mainly plays wide for the Brumbies (but so to does Samu).

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hooper?

Edit: McReight is in a shit spot I reckon. Hooper looks as fit and as good as ever and you'd imagine won't hang up the Wallaby boots until after RWC23.

It also seems unlikely we will roll with two 7's given the surplus of genuine 6 & 8 options.

Or glass half full - Fraser has the opportunity @ just 22 years old to continue to hone his craft in Super Rugby, whilst learning off the best 7 in the world in international camps and occasionally deputize when he is rested/unavailable with the aim to take over in 2024 at the ripe old age of 25 ready to make the position his own, before a few more years down the track taking on the Aussie captaincy at 27 ready to lead his country to a home World Cup. Not too dissimilar to the McCaw/Cane succession really

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Is it really that bad a position for McReight?

No doubt he’d love a crack at the 7 right now and, personally, I don’t think he could do much more to press his case, but he is stuck behind our best player who is playing at least as well as he ever has and also happens to be the skipper.

But - Fraser is only 22. In 2 years he’ll be just entering the prime of his career. He’ll have 5 yrs of super rugby under his belt and I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t get a couple more Wallaby caps in that time (although I could see them using McMahon as the back up 7) and any/all the time he spends in the Wallaby squad he gets the opportunity to learn from the best we have at close quarters. He could still have a 5-10 year test career if he really wants, assuming he stays fit. He will, presumably, be an even better player than he is now. Who knows - in 2 yes he could be the better player.

Of course any of number of things could change that - not the least being that Hooper is young enough that he might continue, especially with the Lions series so close. He could cop an injury. Someone else might emerge. He might decided to go OS. But as a 22 year old serving an apprenticeship in the Wallaby squad with the guy he wants to emulate and eventually overtake - well, there are worse gigs in life.

Beat me too it!

Reactions: TSR

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
I'd be loathed to decrease the number of lineout options, so to me he plays instead of Hooper or Valetini. Given Hooper is the captain and in career-best form, he has to play at 8 or as a sub for Valetini.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I'd be surprised if Samu starts given our current setup. He suits the latter part of the game coming on at 6 or 8 when the game has opened up and he can do what he does best.

He seems like a great bench option to me.

I think whether or not a player deserves a certain selection comes down to whether or not they're viewed as being the best option not whether they've waited in a queue longer.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
What is the expectation of Sean McMahon? Where was he ranked as a Test player when he left?
He was valued and rated very highly after some blockbusting games for Australia against quality opposition. I recall him having some barnstormers against the All Blacks for example.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
There's no doubt that McMahon is a gun. We've missed him.
McMahon was not an automatic selection when he was last in Australia b4 pulling the pin for Japan. Maybe he is a gun but I still will reserve judgment still we see what he offers in wallaby collours. More so as at 6 and 8 have some decent options here.

Don’t get me wrong would love to see what he can offer but also my head tells me would be unfair to other players in the mix.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

i don’t get the angst to drop swinton personally as he looks to be the one to persist with as well as Samu off the bench.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Although Valetini mainly plays wide for the Brumbies (but so to does Samu).
Don't agree. Samu always runs in the wider channels and gets called out for seagulling by a few here. The other usual backrower when not injured was Lachie McCaffrey who also played wider. Rob was/is mostly the player in tight. It took a while for the Wallabies coaching setup to identify that was where he played his best and it would be going backwards for him to revert to the wider channels now.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Don't agree. Samu always runs in the wider channels and gets called out for seagulling by a few here. The other usual backrower when not injured was Lachie McCaffrey who also played wider. Rob was/is mostly the player in tight. It took a while for the Wallabies coaching setup to identify that was where he played his best and it would be going backwards for him to revert to the wider channels now.
He certainly played wide a fair bit of the time, mostly on the right from memory, against the Reds. If I recall correctly McCaffrey actually missed a fair bit of the season. Pretty sure Cusack played at least once v the Reds. Valetini’s being used a lot out wide for the Wallabies too from what I’ve seen and doing well. He has forced a few turnovers because he is often cleaning only 1-2 players in the wider chanels. He still gets used as in the centre field off lineouts a bit.

Edit: by way of example he produced a counter ruck turnover on the weekend when the Boks threw a wayward pass and he was defending out wide & he was also positioned wide when Samu made his break and Valetini was one of the cleaners coming from the outside. He’s in the middle before Koroibete’s first try though and was also the decoy runner for Ikitau’s first in the middle.

I am happy to stand corrected but I seem to remember there was a pretty lengthy analysis piece during the year (by Reg??) which contrasted the games of the various backrowers and I thought if noted Valetini’s work out wide. But if I’m wrong on the detail it wouldn’t be the first time.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
i don’t get the angst to drop swinton personally as he looks to be the one to persist with as well as Samu off the bench.
I actually think the Wallabies have a pretty good loose forward set. Swinton plays the tight/loose game bloody well, I personally think Valetini has looked bloody good last couple of tests, and Hooper is Hooper, who as I make no secret of the fact I think is bloody good and have thought so for a while! With Samu on bench it just looks well balanced.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
McMahon was not an automatic selection when he was last in Australia b4 pulling the pin for Japan. Maybe he is a gun but I still will reserve judgment still we see what he offers in wallaby collours. More so as at 6 and 8 have some decent options here.

Don’t get me wrong would love to see what he can offer but also my head tells me would be unfair to other players in the mix.

He was first choice whenever we didn't have both Hooper and Pocock available. In 2017, his last season in Australia he started the entirety of the Rugby Championship and EOYT at number 8.

70% of his starts for the Wallabies have been at number 8.

I expect that's where he'll be selected either as the starter or as the bench option.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Samu's value on the bench is he can step into any back row slot and make it work.

Would keep Valetini at 8 so he can continue to grow into the role. Minutes in Test matches are precious.
Agreed, lets keep Valentini at 8 so he can get some continuity in the role. Samu is perfect for the bench, he can cover 6, 7 and 8 comfortably. McMahon starting this weekend would be great, Rennie can pull him off as early or as late as he needs knowing we've got Samu to fill the void.
I don't think McMahon sat in quarantine for 14 days to not play rugby, wouldn't paint a great picture for those overseas looking to do something similar.