• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial Match - Waratahs v Brumbies at Bowral

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Overall impressions. Tahs could have won by more, but never looked like losing. Brumbies handling and game tactics both pretty awful.

Tahs No 6 in red head gear player of the match. Donaldson played as good as I've seen him. Best No 10 on the ground.

Brumbies didn't show much in the way of dominating the breakdown or contact. Although they did compete for the ball at the breakdown which was promising to see.

My own personal thoughts, but I reckon Ryan Lonergan still has a lot of development to go before he is Super level - poor decisions and technique cause too many disruptions to the Brumbies attack.

I don't think Noah yet is showing that he can manage and direct the attack but problems with the ball delivery could be hampering him. Overall, simply too much kicking possession away by Ryan, Noah, Irae Simone and Jesse Mogg. A couple of them need to be threatened with having feet amputated.

Nick Frost is one of the most valuable set piece players in the game.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Overall impressions. Tahs could have won by more, but never looked like losing. Brumbies handling and game tactics both pretty awful.

Tahs No 6 in red head gear player of the match. Donaldson played as good as I've seen him. Best No 10 on the ground.

Brumbies didn't show much in the way of dominating the breakdown or contact. Although they did compete for the ball at the breakdown which was promising to see.

My own personal thoughts, but I reckon Ryan Lonergan still has a lot of development to go before he is Super level - poor decisions and technique cause too many disruptions to the Brumbies attack.

I don't think Noah yet is showing that he can manage and direct the attack but problems with the ball delivery could be hampering him. Overall, simply too much kicking possession away by Ryan, Noah, Irae Simone and Jesse Mogg. A couple of them need to be threatened with having feet amputated.

Nick Frost is one of the most valuable set piece players in the game.
Red headgear was Langi Gleeson. I was very impressed by him. Reminded me of Sean McMahon in terms of playing a lot 'bigger' than he actually is. Good acceleration and break tackle ability.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
FWIW my humble opinion having made the trip. Lot of talent from the brumbies watching from behind the fence. Tahs appeared to have a strong side for the first (of 3) 30mins and were dominated by the brumbies forward pack with only notable being Sio.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
FWIW my humble opinion having made the trip. Lot of talent from the brumbies watching from behind the fence. Tahs appeared to have a strong side for the first (of 3) 30mins and were dominated by the brumbies forward pack with only notable being Sio.
Agree, Brumbies had a lot of players sidelined and the result doesn’t mean anything for how the two teams will go in the regular season. I do think it’s a bit much to say the Brumbies forward pack dominated the Tahs when the Tahs had most of the field position and were fairly dominant at the set piece. The Brumbies definitely did lift when Frost and Neville came on and gained ascendancy at the scrum but I would say they are notable players (Swain is also a Wallaby and spent time on the field).

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
FWIW I watched the stream and the Brumbies pack got owned. Admittedly things will be different with Slipper and Aaa on deck but the Tahs got at least 4 scum penalties in the 1st period

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Trials form and results are always a lottery. There are a lot of similarities to the Tahs pre-season trail against the Reds last year. Scored tries, backs looked good, new faces showed promise, came out on top on the score board; while the Reds had a lot of players behind the fence.

Certainly didn't translate.

Good to see some positive comments though around the Tahs and we can hope that they can at least get a win or two.

Brumbies; I am just not convinced and certainly don't feel confident.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Generally agree with many of the comments, especially that it's hard to draw too many conclusions from a Trial as to season form. That said I did enjoy seeing some of the younger players with another year under their belts and don't disagree with the stream commentators re: there being some good cohesion forming across the squad which from the outside I feel speaks to some of the effort going on behind the scenes. I don't see them being a dominate force in the comp yet (I just look at some of those NZ team rosters with a little envy), but its hard not to feel like there are some improvements afoot (or maybe I'm just the ever optimist).

It's also nice to know you've still got Hooper.. and even the somewhat maligned Hanigan due to return.. and the injection of a little maturity with Jamie Roberts and likely Beale next year (as divisive as he can be) I feel are all positives... there are a few kernels of positivity for the future.