• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trying to gather info about the 1993 Aust vs Sth Africa match and team

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

krissyd

Hi guys
Ive been surfing for hours and stumbled across this forum, you guys seem in the know and im certainly not.

Does anyone know where i can get the names of the Wallabies team from 1993 that played the springboks?

I have acquired the ball from the game that has all 21 signatures and I think maybe the signatures of the ref/s and coaches so im doing some research into it.

If you can help me out with any info that would be great, Rugby isnt my game league is, but hey I know who Campo is :lmao:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
hey mate, no worries. Do you know from which test it is? We played the Boks three times in 1993. Teams (guys that played, don't have bench players who didn't get a run) were as follows:

1st test in Sydney: Marty Roebuck, Damian Smith, Jason Little, Tim Horan, David Campese, Scott Bowen, Nick Farr-Jones, Tim Gavin, David Wilson, Garrick Morgan, Warwick Waugh, Rod Mcall, Ewen Mckenzie, Phil Kearns [C], Tony Daly.

2nd test in Briso: Marty Roebuck, Damian Smith, Jason Little, Tim Horan, David Campese, Scott Bowen, Nick Farr-Jones, Tim Gavin, David Wilson, Illie Tabua, Garrick Morgan, Rod Mcall, Ewen Mckenzie, Phil Kearns [C], Tony Daly. Replacement: Anthony Herbert.

3rd test at SFS: Marty Roebuck, Damian Smith, Jason Little, Tim Horan, David Campese, Scott Bowen, Nick Farr-Jones, Tim Gavin, David Wilson, Illie Tabua, Garrick Morgan, Rod Mcall, Ewen Mckenzie, Phil Kearns [C], Tony Daly. Replacement: Matt Burke

Let me know if you need anything else. I have scorers etc. Probably also have match reports too if needed.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Bloody hell we had a good team back then. Only Noddy and Willie O missing from what I would have called a full strength team of the era. Not that Illie Tabua was any slouch. I recall his game at Ballymore (on debut I think) and he put paid to a good number of Saffers on that day.

K

krissyd

Thanks guys. Not sure what game it is as it only says on the ball aust vs sth africa 1993 then it has a list of signatures from 1-21 and then a few others to the side. From what i can read, some signatures are faded and some are just like trying to read a doctors prescription haha...so here goes
daly
rod
some sig with a double "T"
scott
nick
bowen

Its too hard to read the sigs not because of the fade, if you were someone who knew the sigs than you would know who it is, honestly its like reading drs handwriting haha I can see most of the first initials but the surnames are a bit harder to read. I will try and get a clear pic under some good lighting and post it up on my FB page or if you wouldnt mind taking a look i can email it through.
Cheers
Krissy

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
no probs. The distinguishing points will be whether Illie Tabua is there or Warwick Waugh. If you find a couple of big W's, then I'd guess that is Wazza and that's the first test.

In the end, you could just lie. I was at that 2nd test at Ballymore, hung over as hell. Jason Little scored 2 tries and threw an intercept pass for SAF to score (Stransky maybe?).

Ahhh, Sunday arvo tests at Ballymore. Love 'em (well, used to).

Status
Not open for further replies.