• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A good piece from the Guardian last Thursday:

The clash in Crimea is the fruit of western expansion

The external struggle to dominate Ukraine has put fascists in power and brought the country to the brink of conflict
Seumas Milne

Diplomatic pronouncements are renowned for hypocrisy and double standards. But western denunciations of Russian intervention in Crimea have reached new depths of self parody. The so far bloodless incursion is an "incredible act of aggression", US secretary of state John Kerry declared. In the 21st century you just don't invade countries on a "completely trumped-up pretext", he insisted, as US allies agreed that it had been an unacceptable breach of international law, for which there will be "costs".

That the states which launched the greatest act of unprovoked aggression in modern history on a trumped-up pretext – against Iraq, in an illegal war now estimated to have killed 500,000, along with the invasion of Afghanistan, bloody regime change in Libya, and the killing of thousands in drone attacks on Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia, all without UN authorisation – should make such claims is beyond absurdity.

It's not just that western aggression and lawless killing is on another scale entirely from anything Russia appears to have contemplated, let alone carried out – removing any credible basis for the US and its allies to rail against Russian transgressions. But the western powers have also played a central role in creating the Ukraine crisis in the first place.

......... continue reading:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/05/clash-crimea-western-expansion-ukraine-fascists

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Please explain.

A friend of mine who has spent a lot of time in Syria over the past 20 years can probably explain best.............

Almost everything people have generally thought about Syria is wrong. Syria, as I knew it up until 2010, was one of the most civilized and dignified places I’d ever been. Despite what one thought of the government, or what internal problems the country had, there was no arguing that it was a safe, functional and gentle place – and a secular country where many ethnicities and religions lived together. I often spoke to western travelers who’d made their way to Syria overland while traveling between the more common destinations of Egypt and Turkey. Most of them were stunned after experiencing Syrian culture with their own eyes, as opposed to what their governments and western media portrayed it as.

For the past two years, the focus for the west has been to finally eradicate and control the Syrian “pariah state” they’ve had their sights on for decades. From my point of view, what has occurred in Syria has basically been a grand infiltration operation – a set up – directed and financed by western countries, Israel and certain Gulf states. This plan is all about reshaping and neutralizing the Arab world to fit a globalist model that will serve those financing it – all at the expense of the Syrian people. This is how the west now performs ‘regime change’ – the act of undermining and reshaping a sovereign country from the outside. It's based on a similar model to covert operations America employed repeatedly in Southeast Asia and South America between the 1960s and 1980s. It’s difficult to watch as sovereign countries are being consumed with impunity while neo-liberals everywhere cheer it on, and praise what they believe to be a grassroots people's revolution. Many liberals and progressives have been surprisingly silenced over the past several years. Somewhere along the road, the broad concept of democracy seems to have been completely redefined and co-opted. For me, democracy itself has become a mantra worth questioning, when you see who its biggest proponents are, and what their agendas are.

Status
Not open for further replies.