• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
I have a confession. I have 2 teenage boys who love watching the UFC but I can't deny my appreciation of it.

I know that it's polarizing with passionate advocates and detractors. Both of my brothers hate it (but neither have teenage sons). It didn't help that on one occasion whilst channel surfing with one of my brothers Fuel was showing an especially bloody contest. My youngest brother reckons that he'd rather watch a pub fight than 2 blokes going toe to toe in the octagon.

But here's the rub. It's very skillful. Those that excel truly are mixed martial artists. The biggest and meanest do not always prevail. Invariably the athlete with the best technical ability gets the nod.

I also find the level of training and mental toughness involved very inspirational. The dedication to excellence in training transcends all sports, including, rugby.

My favourite bouts in the last 12 months include: Miller v Lauzon (UFC 155), Jones v Gustafsson UFC 165) and Melendez v Sanchez (UFC 166).

This afternoon, Georges St Pierre who hasn't lost since August 2007 defends his welterweight belt against the dangerous Johny Hendricks. If St Pierre wins he'll go to 19 wins in the UFC, a new record. I'm up for it bigtime & my boys are out!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Can't watch it. It glorifies thuggish behaviour. Skilful or not, it's a showcase for the sort of behaviour that leaves hundreds of young men in coma's each year.

You'd actually be surpised how safe it is. In terms of impact, there's less damage done in MMA than in boxing. Most of it is grappling in a very controlled environment. There are actually very strict laws involved that prohibit anything other than clean striking and fair fighting. It's not the same sport that it ws 20 years ago. It's very skilful.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Anyone else catch the heavyweight match between Mark "Super Samoan" Hunt and Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva from the Brisbane Entertainment Centre this afternoon?

25 mins of intense combat with both blokes showing incredible heart and a never say die attitude. Fittingly it ended in a majority draw.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, I'm a massive MMA fan, have been for years. The skill of the top level guys is something to be marveled at.

Status
Not open for further replies.