• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Word from my NZ sources is that was an understrength team, especially in the front row.

I don't know any of our guys, but I thought we just looked bigger and stronger than them. Not sure how much to read into that one game and a reality check may take place on Saturday. But who cares, it's just nice to beat the Kiwis.

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
Word from my NZ sources is that was an understrength team, especially in the front row.

I don't know any of our guys, but I thought we just looked bigger and stronger than them. Not sure how much to read into that one game and a reality check may take place on Saturday. But who cares, it's just nice to beat the Kiwis.
Well that does sound like something they would say, I thought our number 1 absolutely tore them apart. I watched some of his games in the Sydney GPS over the last few years and was hoping his development would continue post-schoolboy rugby. There is some genuine class amongst this team. It would be a long time since a Wallabies side dominated our kiwi friends in that manner. A few big debuts across the board today for the young Wallabies, hopefully, they can wrap it up 2-0 on the weekend. That would be some result and a big boost for the upcoming world cup.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
How did Max Craig go? I've been really rating him for Easts this year, he fits the 4th flanker mould of the modern hooker perfectly, without sacrificing his set piece.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Don’t really agree with that comment at all. These guys are in rugby right now. If it was the schoolboys side then yes, most would probably go to the NRL.
Did Sua'ali'i play with Flook, Tuipulotu, Pasitoa and Nonggorr for Junior Wallabies or Australian Schools?

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Oh, I see. Many of those guys now are playing Super Rugby
Yep, only player that i can really think of that 'got away' was tolu koula, he was pretty superb on the wing. Quite a few players from that team such as Nick Chan no 12. and a few others are still playing shute shield in NSW

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)

We were also missing guys like Tom Lynagh, Max Jorgensen and Marley Pearce. Pearce is packing down in the front row for the Force so will make the scrum even better in the WC.
Plus Darby Lancaster didnt get a run today. a 190 cm 95kg speedster can only be good.

justlookin

Stan Wickham (3)
How did Max Craig go? I've been really rating him for Easts this year, he fits the 4th flanker mould of the modern hooker perfectly, without sacrificing his set piece.
He went well. The whole starting front row was very good. Big drop when the bench guys came one.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Laidlaw did a Larkham and played a lot of squaddies.

Without trying to BS too far to pretend I know anything about it, there were a lot of guys originally named who weren't used, e.g.

Siale Lauaki (THP)
Harry Godfrey (FH)
Nic Shearer (SH)
Noah Hotham (FB)
Jordi Viljoen (OB)

Hotham currently unavailable for U20's due to his Crusaders commitments but I think will go to SA. Not sure about the others but I've a sneaky feeling Lauaki is with Loss Bleus' WTG.

Edit: 'canes not Blues - formally signed about a week ago.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Haven't studiesd team or anything, but regardless the Junior Wallabies won the game regardless who ran out for JABs. And fair play to them.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Is there a reason both games are played in NZ, pretty unfair for for the aussies to play both games in Wellington. I understand the 2nd game as it allows for the game to be the curtain raiser for the crusaders and hurricanes but surely they could have travelled to AUS for the first game?

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Probably cheaper to fly one squad there and back and put them up for a week rather than two squads twice (out and back).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is there a reason both games are played in NZ, pretty unfair for for the aussies to play both games in Wellington. I understand the 2nd game as it allows for the game to be the curtain raiser for the crusaders and hurricanes but surely they could have travelled to AUS for the first game?
It's usually always played in Aus - no issues here. Not sure why there's no usual Oceania u20s or one that includes Argentina like last year?