• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under 6 rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Why has this site become so convoluted.how many threads are we up to now? I think we need to start another on the under/6 comp on Mars.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Not U6 but my son had his first game of U8s last week and his team were totally pumped, the opposition scored 10 tries to 0 in the first half, think they only got about 8 in the second half. Mind you that is in 2 halves of 15 minutes!
My son's coach was unhappy about the fact the other team only practice 'hit and rip' at training as it is not on the 'pathway' but I think it is a valuable teaching tool as it teaches players to focus on the ball and hopefully going forward my son's coach will teach the team about ball security and body height as well as do a lot more tackling practice - most of the tries would have been stopped if they had practiced more tackling as the majority of the team were in position to make a tackle but were hesitant through lack of confidence.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, my son's Under 9 team was pumped on the weekend by a very well drilled Wests team.

Our coach was clearly out-coached.

The pressure is on him to up the ante on Friday night and deliver some quick lessons on ball retention and defensive alignment.

He also needs to stop being such a grumpy prick to the players.

Will let you know how I go with this....I mean, he goes with this.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
My son's coach is a good guy and the kids love him (no I'm not coaching as I don't have enough hair as it is - he's already completely bald so has nothing left to lose). How do you find the pathway Reg- help or hindrance? I can see the purpose of it but is it the best way forward for Oz rugby?

I wasn't having a go at the coach as he was the one brave enough to put his hand up, just want to see the kids enjoy the season and love rugby. One thing I did notice the team do, which I loved was form the tunnel to clap the opposition off, is it just an initiative of his or is it something the kids start doing in U8?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My son's coach is a good guy and the kids love him (no I'm not coaching as I don't have enough hair as it is - he's already completely bald so has nothing left to lose). How do you find the pathway Reg- help or hindrance? I can see the purpose of it but is it the best way forward for Oz rugby?

I wasn't having a go at the coach as he was the one brave enough to put his hand up, just want to see the kids enjoy the season and love rugby. One thing I did notice the team do, which I loved was form the tunnel to clap the opposition off, is it just an initiative of his or is it something the kids start doing in U8?

by the pathway do you mean the evolution of the rules up the age groups? I like it as it helps progress coaching. You can concentrate on just catching, passing and running forward at under 6s and 7s, then evolve into tackling and rucks/mauls at 8s and 9s then more set piece play after that. The thing with rugby is that there is shit loads to coach in rugby and its hard to fit in one 50 minute session a week.

Its the thing that daunts me the most - am I coaching the right stuff. I am very cognizant of focusing on tackle technique, but perhaps I spend too much time on that rather than defensive re-alignment etc. It's uncontested scrums but I feel a strong obligation to teaching safe scrummaging, but perhaps I should be doing rolling mauls instead?

I also have 5 guys new to rugby this year which challenges the coaching too.

As for the tunnel? Its an individual team thing. I don't do it, as I'm generally pretty flustered post-game, but ensure they all shake hands and do the old three cheers. I've seen some teams go over and stand in front of their home crowd (mums and dads) arm in arm with each other and give them three cheers, which I think is awesome.

I'd do it, but I feel its stealing. Every now and again I just make sure the kids go over to their mum and/or dad, give them a hug and say thanks for bringing me to rugby.

Reactions: dru

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Evolution of rules but according to the coach he is supposed to develop certain skills at certain ages, 'hit and rip' was not supposed to be taught (according to him) at U8 level and is bad technique besides.
I'm not overly concerned with defensive alignment I just think it is better from a safety and enjoyment perspective if the kids are given a decent amount of tackling practice - at the moment they are lucky to do 5 minutes 'tackling' practice of making 5 tackles of team-mates walking up to them and practising 'happy prawns' while they tackle them from on their knees.

BTW I nearly cried tears of joy seeing the opposition score a try from a maul on the weekend, very rare nowadays - they drove it forward about 5 metres.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
not aware of the pathways restrictions in terms of training sorry mate.

Sounds odd to be honest.

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
not aware of the pathways restrictions in terms of training sorry mate.

Sounds odd to be honest.
There is nothing restricting training, although the ARU put out a "Training Manual" for U6's, U7's & U8's which has weekly drills that is recommended each week. e.g. Week 1 there will be 3 passing drills, Week 2 maybe 3 running/evasion drills etc. A good resource for coaches and a good initiative but maybe used as a guide instead of gospel.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
maybe we should rename this thread, started as a joke, 'under age rugby' or something similar.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Reg, for what it's worth, I played junior rugby for 9 years (many moons ago) and could not tell you the score of any game I played in. We won some and lost some. What I do remember though is playing a game that I loved with my mates, having fun and just loving being part of a team. I hope the kids in your team will remember the same thing.

And I'm still very grateful to all those coaches who gave up their spare time so that kids like me could play the game we loved.

Keep at it mate and don't worry about the scores. You are doing a wonderful thing for those kids in your team.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
My son's team had a huge turnaround with a 1 try win today. All the kids had a ball.

I've taught my son that if he has had fun then he has won.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Team lost on Saturday 35 - 15. A lot of the players still unsure about tackling though ball security seems to be better (will find out this week when we play the team that gave the boys a hiding a couple of weeks ago).

In other news received an email form the team's manager regarding the march past to be held at Homebush the night the 'tahs take on the Brumbies. I am keen to go but am not sure if this is the right game to bring my young fella to, as I want him to love rugby and want to watch games. I fear the Brumbies playing Jakeball and dragging the 'tahs down to their level will turn him off. What are your thoughts?

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Gotta give kudos to my son's team - last week we played a team and got done by them 10 tries to zip and we played them again today and lost 7 tries to 4. Big improvement in the play (we were missing one of our best players) of the boys and all of us parents are proud of how the boys went. Some lovely continuity with passing in contact as well as good tackling and ruck work.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Rego day for my son tomorrow. Interesting with the recent ARU levy change (or whatever you call it) that the club (through the ARU) have mandated that no player in any age or grade is allowed to train or play until they have paid the ARU component of the registration. As a retired player I think it is a good move for all clubs as it used to give me the shits no end in knowing that certain players were getting more game time than me without having paid a cent of their rego or turned up to training.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Reg, I just dropped in on a thread I thought would leave me bored. Far from it, you leave me in stitches.

10/10 for putting the effort. All those kids will remember whatever's your agonising in training.

Well done bloke.

Status
Not open for further replies.