• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Uni bastards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
For all you Uni of Sydney lovers, have a read of this - again screwing the lower socio economic clubs in an effort to corner the rugby market.

Take care whispers - Bruce of Broadway will return serve.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
rugbywhisperer said:
For all you Uni of Sydney lovers, have a read of this - again screwing the lower socio economic clubs in an effort to corner the rugby market.

Take care whispers - Bruce of Broadway will return serve.

It has always happened, when I was playing for the two blues, a NSW selector told a player to change clubs and he would become a Wallaby (he did and did :'( )

Uni will again have a 3rds/Colts that could beat bottom first grade teams.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
fatprop said:
It has always happened, when I was playing for the two blues, a NSW selector told a player to change clubs and he would become a Wallaby (he did and did :'( )

Same thing happens in NSW Hockey. Play for a team a coach/selector is linked to and you have a better chance.
I'm sure that is not the exact situation in NSW Rugby but.....

R

rugbywhisperer

Everything Uni do I am sure is tipping the scales somewhat and eventually the NSWRU and the ARU will make a serious move towards a draft system.

One can only be a bully for so long before the victims get even and when that happens it is usually catastrophic on the bully.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If it's true about Campo his behaviour is digraceful. He'd previously commited to coaching Parramatta, and now jumped ship to those thieving bastards on Broadway.

Just lost a lot of respect for you, David.

T

Tigereye

Yep the same Campo who told all at trainign that he wanted to get back and help grass roots rugby and assist in the re-building of the Parra club. He mentioned that he wanted to put back into the game, and that he respected Parra and wanted to help !!!!!!!! What a joke, as he is ! You have to feel for people like Mark Hartill who has his heart in the right place, but people like Campo and Uni should have a long hard look at themselves !

Uni once again it shows that you only care about yoursleves and dont have the long term interests of the broader game at heart !

A sad day !

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
that's really bad. So Campo had actually been down to Parra training?

What a dick.

Is this weighting point system in place at the moment in Sydney Club rugby? Is it just with run on teams? Shouldn't it be with registered players?

I mean how much benefit could Barnes really give uni? Whereas, think of it if he signed for Southern Districts.

I really is a big sham.

Bruce. Tell us your side on both issues please? We need to know more because on the face of it this stinks of shit.

R

rugbywhisperer

How much do Uni put back into junior club rugby?? a serious question.
My belief is nil, zippo but I may stand corrected if evidence to the alternate exists.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
matty_k said:
Uni probably say they do through their colts team. They do have one right?
You clearly read the earlier posts carefully - fat prop alluded to the relative strength of the Uni colts team.
And sorry if my initial post sounded churlish - having a crappy day.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Noddy said:
Bruce. Tell us your side on both issues please?

The issues are David Campese and Berrick Barnes joining Sydney Uni.

I have no idea of the circumstances leading to Campese deciding to coach at Uni. But with regard to his previously announced proposed involvement this year with Parramatta, the obvious places to direct enquiries would be either Campese or Parramatta Club.

With regard to Berrick Barnes I would just make the point that as a matter of policy Uni does not recruit grade players from outside the Club. In fact he is the first top grade outsider to join the Club since Julian Huxley in 2006. I would be very confident that neither player was paid a dollar to join Uni.

rugbywhisperer said:
How much do Uni put back into junior club rugby?? a serious question.
My belief is nil, zippo but I may stand corrected if evidence to the alternate exists.

In 2009 Uni fielded teams in the State Championships at Under 13, Under 15 and Under 16 levels, winning the Under 16 Championship.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Have a look around chaps: the lowest tiers of rugby are dying everywhere.

This year Subbies will once again not be able to field a 4th Div comp due to a lack of interest by clubs in running 3 grades only. The Renegades are affected by this I might add as we've been dominating the 5th Div (2-grade) comp for three years now but want to step up and grow in our area.

Looking at it from a practical point of view, the competition to get a square pitch without a soccer goal on it in Sydney is getting tough. Throw in the fact that you only "need" the ground from midday and Councils have to make hard decisions about how to schedule other sports who are crying out for space. If you have four grades and need the pitch from 11AM then your need is greater, and hey chances are you have juniors who play in the morning anyway.

On the flipside, if you're only running two grades in 5th Div you only need the ground from 1.30PM and so the local junior league or soccer or aussie rules football club can occupy part of your space (with the right utility goals) for most of the morning and into the afternoon.

The situation this leaves us with is that for the Renegades to get ahead, we effectively have to add two grades in an off-season - or try to get a Halligan Cup game going almost every weekend with the hassles that involves.

In a further example, we asked Subbies for some promotional gear for a signup day three weeks ago. They got back to us today.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
To say Sydney University Football Club fielded teams in 2009 State Championships in the "Under 13, 15 and 16 levels" is a bit cute, Bruce. I checked with my son, a current student, and he advised me he's NEVER seen school children anywhere on the Camperdown or Darlington campuses during normal lecture times.

A bit of history: a set of criteria was formulated some 10 or 15 years ago for the Sydney premiership clubs to take part in the top competition, including the development of juniors. Sydney University were at an obvious disadvantage here as regards juniors: simply, they didn't have any and couldn't develop any as they are an adult university. So, they purloined Canterbury Rugby Club's juniors and convinced them to parade as Sydney University when required (ie, State Championships). It's pertinent to note here Canterbury still played as Canterbury in the Sydney JRU's Metropolitan Southern Zone weekly competition. I'm not involved in junior rugby administration as I was in the early noughties, but my friends inform me SUFC have done something similar with Petersham RFC's juniors since. The Canterbury and Petersham junior teams were developed by their senior clubs well before their current involvement with SUFC, which is a sham. It is nothing more than the nautical equivalent of a flag of convenience. How many Under 13s or 15s attend Sydney University? Obviously none.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Bruce Ross said:
Noddy said:
Bruce. Tell us your side on both issues please?
In fact he is the first top grade outsider to join the Club since Julian Huxley in 2006. I would be very confident that neither player was paid a dollar to join Uni.

So you are confirming that Uni's recruitment process doesn't offer discounted/bursaries/"scholarships" for university courses/accommodation etc for say Aus Schoolboys etc and or maybe an understanding employer via their sponsors and "network"

R

rugbywhisperer

The day that Uni establish a junior club, field their own teams from ages 7-16 is the day you can say that Uni develop junior rugby.
They are nothing less than pirates (apologies to Wests) raiding the coffers of more diligent clubs.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
NTA said:
Have a look around chaps: the lowest tiers of rugby are dying everywhere.

Totally agree Nick and until something is done about rugby's over-reliance on GPS and schools rugby it will continue to do so. In country NSW only the rare school has a Saturday team involved in rugby competition, usually against other independent schools. No state school (where the majority of kids attend) has weekend teams. I'm not totally sure of what happens in Sydney (as there are a lot more private schools) with regards to public school competition though. I know Penrith have a schools competition but how many players go from that into their grade and colts teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.